ACT TODAY: NJ Safe Passing Bill Up For Vote THIS THURSDAY

"People like me" who have been members of the forum for 15+ years form opinions like this based on our perception. Don't take it too seriously, but I assure you I am not confused, and I appreciate a well-placed joke post. Your post here was not well placed, nor a joke.
I didn't say my post in this thread was a joke - merely a reality check. To the larger point, however, I won't waste any more time arguing with the likes of you but suffice to say...

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

What are the current limitations to a bicycle operating on the road? I am genuinely asking. The text only mentions what is asked of a vehicle driver in terms of behavior as related to the cyclist/pedestrian, while the cyclist/pedestrian behavior could actually make these requirements hard to be fulfilled. Is this even enforceable and how is it enforced where it already a law? I confess that I am more of motorist than a cyclist so I would really like to understand better (especially since I rarely ride and mostly never on the road). I do get annoyed at cyclist holding up traffic for no reason though...I don't pass them though because it's not safe for them in the first place.
Lots to unpack here, but this is a decent summary: https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/regulations.shtm

Answers to most of your questions re: responsibilities as they pertain to a cycling *being passed* are here (I find if comical that they missed #5 in the Operating Regs section btw):

39:4-14.1 Rights and Duties of Persons on Bicycles.​

Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway is granted all the rights and subject to all of the duties of the motor vehicle driver.

39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.​

Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 6) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic. In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law.

I didn't say my post in this thread was a joke - merely a reality check. To the larger point, however, I won't waste any more time arguing with the likes of you but suffice to say...

We all got it. Sometimes you need to learn when to tell jokes. Like when you walk up to an open casket, it's just bad taste.

As a team who had one of our guys killed on the road, you're closer to the above than you want to admit. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, or some shit like that. It's also ok to say, "My bad."

Lots to unpack here, but this is a decent summary: https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/regulations.shtm

Answers to most of your questions re: responsibilities as they pertain to a cycling *being passed* are here (I find if comical that they missed #5 in the Operating Regs section btw):

39:4-14.1 Rights and Duties of Persons on Bicycles.​

Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway is granted all the rights and subject to all of the duties of the motor vehicle driver.

39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.​

Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 6) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic. In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law.
Thank you for doing my homework for me, I get lazy sometimes (nah, that is always).

That seems pretty exhaustive of the subject then, if cyclist(s) were in compliance of the above rules I don't have a problem for sanctioning a driver that endangers them passing too close (as a mater of fact, regardless of whatever the perceived provocation may be, I would think that any behavior that creates danger for anybody on the road or any other shared surface should be sanctioned).

I don't have any representation in this country so I don't think I can write to my Assembly Representative but I would if I had.

Thank you for the clarification and improving the awareness about this bill on this forum.

We all got it. Sometimes you need to learn when to tell jokes. Like when you walk up to an open casket, it's just bad taste.

As a team who had one of our guys killed on the road, you're closer to the above than you want to admit. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, or some shit like that. It's also ok to say, "My bad."

Not going to beat a dead horse but I probably do more road riding than most of you guys. And if you will recall, I was hit by a car once while riding. Luck of the collision physics is the only reason I'm still here.

Oh I signed this and shared the link with a bunch of neighbors. I got some road rage thrown my way very recently because I occupied one of two lanes briefly as I passed parked cars. And I think about #morekidsonbikes and I get so very very sad, and scared.

Oh I signed this and shared the link with a bunch of neighbors. I got some road rage thrown my way very recently because I occupied one of two lanes briefly as I passed parked cars. And I think about #morekidsonbikes and I get so very very sad, and scared.
Right on Dave. My road miles have been down over the last few years after losing friends to cars and some personal close calls. I think about Chris so often. Losing 17 year old NICA student Sam Ozer almost exactly a year ago today still really hurts too.

Indeed Why beat a dead horse when you could beat a dead cyclist instead. Keep em coming your jokes are the best

What are you babbling about? No one is joking about road bike safety - my only reference to jokes was in response to the "classy" guy hurling personal attacks in this thread. Good lord.

This passed. Now it goes to the Senate, Wednesday 6/30.

Sample E-Mail to your Senator:

Sen. Sweeney:

Please post bill S2208, the NJ Safe Passing Bill, for a vote on June 30 as the busy summer season moves into high gear.

The Assembly just passed the NJ SAFE PASSING LAW unanimously, with bipartisan support.

I know this law will make clear to drivers and non-driver users alike the safest way to pass—and share—NJ’s roads. Let's make this the year NJ begins to better protect all road users with clear, enforceable guidelines about when—and how—to pass the most vulnerable on our roads by slowing down, moving over if possible and, if not, passing no less than four feet from walkers, wheelers and bicyclists.

Thanks @Shaggz, it is indeed up for vote in the state senate in two days:

WE ARE 2 DAYS AWAY FROM MAKING HISTORY!

This Wednesday, June 30th, the Senate will vote on the NJ Safe Passing Law.

We need your help to urge the NJ Senate to pass the bill.

This is the last step to winning a 10-year battle for a Safe Passing Law in New Jersey before it is sent to the Governor's desk for signature and becomes law.
Don't miss your opportunity to make NJ streets safer for all!​

Thanks to many of you who helped us get the NJ Safe Passing Law approved unanimously—with bipartisan support-- in the Assembly. Now we need the same help to pass the bill in the Senate.

Click the button below to send a letter of support to your Senator and tell them to VOTE YES on bill S2208.​
prjVWi9agcvHo6wWwSY0NoWHiaFTUW1GFE88HIUk5LrHN5aeEIX3D6pJtDlEPNI6Dvf_Ou5XHLexQ1ajT_5sVXHMGfcLsqoinYvkNDmXc8HzvBff2Y637Q=s0-d-e1-ft

The NJ Safe Passing Law will add the protection we need by requiring drivers to slow down when they see us, move over if they can, or wait until they can pass with at least four feet of safety zone.

Read more about the NJ Safe Passing Law on our website.​
prjVWi9agcvHo6wWwSY0NoWHiaFTUW1GFE88HIUk5LrHN5aeEIX3D6pJtDlEPNI6Dvf_Ou5XHLexQ1ajT_5sVXHMGfcLsqoinYvkNDmXc8HzvBff2Y637Q=s0-d-e1-ft

For questions please contact NJBWC NJ Safe Passing Law Campaign Leader
Jim Hunt: SAFEPASS4NJ@njbwc.org

Back
Top Bottom