ACT TODAY: NJ Safe Passing Bill Up For Vote THIS THURSDAY

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
This Thursday the NJ Safe Passing Law is up for vote in the New Jersey Legislature.

New Jersey Bike & Walk Coalition, Tri State Transportation Campaign, and Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia need your help to pass the New Jersey Safe Passing Law!

Thanks to many of you, the NJ Safe Passing bill is days away from a “yea” or “nay” by the NJ Legislature.

This bill, A5570, needs your support to become law. The law will add the protection we need by requiring drivers to slow down when they see us, move over if they can, or wait until they can pass with at least four feet of safety zone.

Please click the link below to send a letter today to your Assembly representatives in support of this bill. We encourage you to customize the letter with personal experience.​

Last edited:
This Thursday the NJ Safe Passing Law is up for vote in the New Jersey Legislature.

New Jersey Bike & Walk Coalition, Tri State Transportation Campaign, and Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia need your help to pass the New Jersey Safe Passing Law!

Thanks to many of you, the NJ Safe Passing bill is days away from a “yea” or “nay” by the NJ Legislature.

This bill, A5770, needs your support to become law. The law will add the protection we need by requiring drivers to slow down when they see us, move over if they can, or wait until they can pass with at least four feet of safety zone.

Please click the link below to send a letter today to your Assembly representatives in support of this bill. We encourage you to customize the letter with personal experience.​
It's actually A5570, link below in case anybody want to read it, it's just 2 pages.

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2020/Bills/A9999/5570_I1.PDF

This bill, A5770, needs your support to become law. The law will add the protection we need by requiring drivers to slow down when they see us, move over if they can, or wait until they can pass with at least four feet of safety zone.

Done

Your negative-to-positive post ratio on here is astounding Rick. Despite your doubts, pro-bicycle safety legislation is a step in the right direction and makes a difference.

Actually not true. People like you confuse joke posts for "negative" posts.

In any event, of course any safety laws are better than none. The real issue is awareness, compliance and enforcement. I am a member of our HOA rules and regulations committee and we just had a meeting last night with community participation. It was very obvious that the current pool/spa/gym rules were fine - the problem was awareness, compliance and enforcement. When Governor Beetlejuice signs this law - what percentage of drivers will be aware of it? 10%? 1%? Then of those, what percentage will actually observe them?? I will look forward to road riding this summer/fall in nj to see if there is any difference in what I have experienced the last 8 years.

In any event, of course any safety laws are better than none. The real issue is awareness, compliance and enforcement. I am a member of our HOA rules and regulations committee and we just had a meeting last night with community participation. It was very obvious that the current pool/spa/gym rules were fine - the problem was awareness, compliance and enforcement. When Governor Beetlejuice signs this law - what percentage of drivers will be aware of it? 10%? 1%? Then of those, what percentage will actually observe them?? I will look forward to road riding this summer/fall in nj to see if there is any difference in what I have experienced the last 8 years.

While this might be true, you need to start somewhere. You can't educate or enforce a law that doesn't exist. And if it becomes a law, it will be taught in driving school, which will be a start. If it takes 8 years to see improvements, then that's how long it will take, at least we are starting now.

Actually not true. People like you confuse joke posts for "negative" posts.

"People like me" who have been members of the forum for 15+ years form opinions like this based on our perception. Don't take it too seriously, but I assure you I am not confused, and I appreciate a well-placed joke post. Your post here was not well placed, nor a joke.

As for the law, the difference you may or may not perceive when riding here this summer not the point. Awareness, compliance and enforcement are key issues with any law's application and impact. Floridians and folks in many other states used to be able to legally text while driving, but now it is prohibited in 48 states. Distracted driving related accidents and deaths still happen every day, but the laws are still positive, important and impactful.

These passing laws are all about providing legal avenues to address the most common cause of bike/car accidents: drivers overtaking cyclists. Educating drivers is certainly part of the campaign, but is not the end game. Having legal recourse will enable law enforcement to actually cite a violation, allow judges to rule on cases in favor of the cyclist, etc. I don't expect it to happen overnight, but this should have bi-partisan support across the country.

More here if anyone hasn't already checked out: https://www.bikeleague.org/sites/default/files/BFS_WP-Safe_Passing_law-07_2018.pdf

What are the current limitations to a bicycle operating on the road? I am genuinely asking. The text only mentions what is asked of a vehicle driver in terms of behavior as related to the cyclist/pedestrian, while the cyclist/pedestrian behavior could actually make these requirements hard to be fulfilled. Is this even enforceable and how is it enforced where it already a law? I confess that I am more of motorist than a cyclist so I would really like to understand better (especially since I rarely ride and mostly never on the road). I do get annoyed at cyclist holding up traffic for no reason though...I don't pass them though because it's not safe for them in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom