ACS Ride

S

scubasteve

I know this isn't the place to talk about road riding, but I figured I'd bring it up to see if anyone else was there yesterday (since there are a lot of riders on mountain bikes as well)?

The ACS ride ran from the Ben Franklin Bridge (craziest sight ever; 4000 bikes going over the bridge at the same time) down to Mays Landing. I chose the century option, so that threw you in an extra 38 mile loop instead of finishing just the 62.

I tell you what...That was the sickest thing I've ever done in my life. At about 65 miles I cramped so bad that I pulled over, barely clipped out, couldn't bend my legs, and just fell to the ground looking like Frankenstein. This lady came out of her house screaming, thinking was either dying or having a seizure. She offered water and Midol, though i refused the latter. i couldn't move for about 15 minutes. I thought of turning around and just finishing the normal ride, but I decided to finish it. Cramped the entire last 35 miles on and off, stopping 2 more times. Saw at least 10 people drop out during that loop since by that time it was about 90+ degrees, uphill with a headwind and 21 miles to the only rest stop.

All worth it though when I crossed the line. I told the guys I rode with (and by "rode with" I mean the guys I would keep up with for about 5-10 miles after each stop and then get dropped, only to meet them at the next stop where they'd be waiting for me. The one guy was nicknamed the "black Lance" he was so good) that there should be some ratio of miles to time to bodyweight. A handicap system if you will. They all got a kick out of that...

Well, that's my rant. So was anyone there?

Anyone thinking of riding in the fall MS150?

A

Ant

scubasteve said:
I know this isn't the place to talk about road riding, but I figured I'd bring it up to see if anyone else was there yesterday (since there are a lot of riders on mountain bikes as well)?

The ACS ride ran from the Ben Franklin Bridge (craziest sight ever; 4000 bikes going over the bridge at the same time) down to Mays Landing. I chose the century option, so that threw you in an extra 38 mile loop instead of finishing just the 62.

I tell you what...That was the sickest thing I've ever done in my life. At about 65 miles I cramped so bad that I pulled over, barely clipped out, couldn't bend my legs, and just fell to the ground looking like Frankenstein. This lady came out of her house screaming, thinking was either dying or having a seizure. She offered water and Midol, though i refused the latter. i couldn't move for about 15 minutes. I thought of turning around and just finishing the normal ride, but I decided to finish it. Cramped the entire last 35 miles on and off, stopping 2 more times. Saw at least 10 people drop out during that loop since by that time it was about 90+ degrees, uphill with a headwind and 21 miles to the only rest stop.

All worth it though when I crossed the line. I told the guys I rode with (and by "rode with" I mean the guys I would keep up with for about 5-10 miles after each stop and then get dropped, only to meet them at the next stop where they'd be waiting for me. The one guy was nicknamed the "black Lance" he was so good) that there should be some ratio of miles to time to bodyweight. A handicap system if you will. They all got a kick out of that...

Well, that's my rant. So was anyone there?

Anyone thinking of riding in the fall MS150?

Dude, that's all out. I rode 20 miles for the first time this weekend and was so proud of myself. :( Couldn't walk right for about 1 hour after that too.

C

CD1134

Every year I do the 5 Boro Bike Tour through the 5 boros of NYC. It's 40 mi., as opposed to 100, and I ride it on my mountain bike, but it really is an awesome event. It's the largest organized ride in the country and the route takes you over the Verranzano (they close the whole lower deck for the riders). So Steve, I know where you're coming from. It's so cool to see so many people come together for a cycling event. Word is born.

S

scubasteve

CD1134 said:
Every year I do the 5 Boro Bike Tour through the 5 boros of NYC. It's 40 mi., as opposed to 100, and I ride it on my mountain bike, but it really is an awesome event. It's the largest organized ride in the country and the route takes you over the Verranzano (they close the whole lower deck for the riders). So Steve, I know where you're coming from. It's so cool to see so many people come together for a cycling event. Word is born.

I was so pissed I missed that ride this year. My work sent me away that week/weekend for training. I can't wait to try it next year. It sounds like an awesome time.

S

scubasteve

smarencik said:
Sounds like a great experience. What is the ACS ride anyway?

It's to support the American Cancer Society. It's a pretty big charity ride, about 4000+ riders, including a bunch of cancer survivors. I definitely recommend it...

A

Ant

Steve, is the MS150 150 miles? I would be interested but I don't think I'll be able to make 150 miles anytime soon. I'm shooting for 50 by the end of summer/fall.

S

scubasteve

Ant said:
Steve, is the MS150 150 miles? I would be interested but I don't think I'll be able to make 150 miles anytime soon. I'm shooting for 50 by the end of summer/fall.

There's a handful of options for the MS150: 1 day 25, 45, or 75 miles or 2 day 150 (75,75) or 175 (100,75) miles. It's a really nice ride with some good scenery. Plus you end up in Ocean City, so that's pretty cool.

You can get some more info at: https://www.nationalmssociety.org/PAE/event/event_detail.asp?e=6654

I think you'd definitely like it. It's heavily supported (crowds at the stops, etc.) and there's over 6000 riders.

A

Ant

scubasteve said:
Ant said:

There's a handful of options for the MS150: 1 day 25, 45, or 75 miles or 2 day 150 (75,75) or 175 (100,75) miles. It's a really nice ride with some good scenery. Plus you end up in Ocean City, so that's pretty cool.

You can get some more info at: https://www.nationalmssociety.org/PAE/event/event_detail.asp?e=6654

I think you'd definitely like it. It's heavily supported (crowds at the stops, etc.) and there's over 6000 riders.

Hmmmm, it's all flat huh? I could prob. go a lot farther and faster if it was all flat. I'm a definatel maybe.

S

scubasteve

Ant said:
Hmmmm, it's all flat huh? I could prob. go a lot farther and faster if it was all flat. I'm a definatel maybe.

Yeah, the worst hills are the Ocean City bridges that you'll have to cross to get over into Ocean City ;) Other than that, it's pretty flat.

E

Evil

Just put slicks on my Kona Dawg and rode from downtown Manhatten to Hoboken via the George Washington Bridge on Tuesday. NYC was an enjoyable ride but, literally, the second you get into NJ you realize that they don't give a flying rats a$$ about anything non-car, it was totally sketchy.
Even though it wasen't as long a ride as the others, my legs hurt something fierce after, different then when I hammer out on trails.

Top Bottom