Accident at Mills Reservation

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hate seeing this for so many reasons. Heart goes out to the family.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Damn... thoughts out to the family.

There are trails at HM that runs along the edges and me having acrophobia walked those sections... afraid that i would make a mistake and fall off and often wondered if I was enjoying the wrong sport. I wish I hadn't seen this...

wlee

Terrible, can't imagine how his brother is feeling who was with him. Also not good for us riders, the heat will be on for sure there now. Guess I'm changing up my ride later to avoid that area.

wlee

There are trails at HM that runs along the edges and me having acrophobia walked those sections... afraid that i would make a mistake and fall off and often wondered if I was enjoying the wrong sport. I wish I hadn't seen this...
You are enjoying a great sport with awesome people but every once in a while something happens. In 9 years it's the second death I have heard of in the woods but sadly I have heard many more on the road.

DownhillR3

Crap, started riding down there in the suburbs last year to change it up from being in the woods out here in nice NJ. Super fun place. If its the spot I think it is climbing up to the old turret platform... I remember saying it would suck to go off that ledge but by no means is it dangerous for any skilled MTB rider to ride safely.

Shame, hope the brother is coping and interested to watch this pan out with local LEO's. Heat turned up to 10.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
You are enjoying a great sport with awesome people but every once in a while something happens. In 9 years it's the second death I have heard of in the woods but sadly I have heard many more on the road.
Yeah... it unfortunate these accidents happen. Despite it all, I'm still pedaling in the woods but the mind does wander.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At 1130 I was pissed about some BS at work. Things like this put everything in perspective.

the schwartz

"
Rivera, 50, had taken up bike riding a couple of months ago and was with his brother when the accident occurred about 9 a.m., Rena said.

"

:(

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Very tragic. Condolences to the Rivera family. Sounds like he was a very good man.

I know the spot he went off and it's a section I don't even like to hike with kids or dog...extreme exposure. I fear that some will use this as proof that MTB is dangerous and should be banned but in reality if it were legal in Essex the trails would be better maintained and safer and this tragedy could possibly have been prevented. JORBA would never approve or build a trail that exposed.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is horrible. Condolences to his friends and family.

And then there's this.......
IMG_8109.PNG

I feel like this post from the MAF is ill informed and irresponsible. I do not know Mills Reservation, but I do know that there are no biking trails there.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
ill delete this if people think its inappropriate...but I learned to ride a MTB here and im having a hard time not thinking about this

From the helicopter shots, it looks like he fell from the spot on the right, theres a short bit of trail that goes close to the edge of the cliff and downhill. Further down the trail, theres one more exposed section that the trail gets washed out and funky. it has tripped me up a few times, I remember walking it a lot when i first started.
upload_2017-6-27_11-18-22.png

these two sections arent even the worst of it. Further north the trail follows the cliff edge for a while on technical rock. The riding was fun there, but i only rode it once, It was too close to the edge for comfort. A fall there would be more than 20 feet though.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@axcxnj I think you are correct. The arrow on the right is where I believed it to be based on the chopper vid. That part of the trail is either really bumpy basalt rock or erosion with big roots, both of which add to the risk factor. In between the two arrows there is that 90 deg turn which would also mean a big drop if one were to overcooked it.

Top Bottom