A real question about ceramic tiles...

iman29

Ok I may have to wave the white flag and see if anyone here knows someone who would be interested in A small job doing my bathroom floor tiles.

The only place I called and found something close (Daltile in Lyndhurst) won’t even tell me a price or sell to me as a homeowner. And it’s a long drive just to go see one sample.

Thanks folks.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
one of the problems is that when the tile is pulled up, the subfloor may be bad. so project creep.
there may be a seam in the subfloor over there. so much unknown.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
In this case if you don’t want to go the way of spending a ton of money but want a new floor, I would throw vinyl plank or vinyl tile over it until you can get it done right. not ideal but it will hold up for a little bit. If you pick a pro, they (hopefully) will want to do it right which means you’ll uncover subfloor issues.

I put “luxury” vinyl plank in my upstairs bathroom for a stopgap and it’s done great. You can cut it with a box cutter to fit and just caulk in the edges.

I’m having my downstairs bathroom completely redone and my subfloor was ok but still needed work to get new tile in without having it crack.

iman29

In this case if you don’t want to go the way of spending a ton of money but want a new floor, I would throw vinyl plank or vinyl tile over it until you can get it done right. not ideal but it will hold up for a little bit. If you pick a pro, they (hopefully) will want to do it right which means you’ll uncover subfloor issues.

I put “luxury” vinyl plank in my upstairs bathroom for a stopgap and it’s done great. You can cut it with a box cutter to fit and just caulk in the edges.

I’m having my downstairs bathroom completely redone and my subfloor was ok but still needed work to get new tile in without having it crack.
This sounds interesting and much more do-able by myself I will be taking another trip to Lowe’s or HD today to check it out and maybe bring the wife some samples.

Thanks.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
one of the problems is that when the tile is pulled up, the subfloor may be bad. so project creep.
there may be a seam in the subfloor over there. so much unknown.

god forbid there is asbestos then you have to work with your shirt over your mouth the whole time

iman29

Ok thanks for the suggestion @clarkenstein I was dreading going down the black hole
Of pulling up all the tiles and the wife did not approve once I told her it would take longer

We debated pulling the tiles anyway and putting the luxury vinyl on a new underlayment. But she figured it’s the same difference and less time the bathroom is out of commission.

Anyway the decision is made and prep work has begun. See you over in the DIY thread where I will regret and question every decision i make anyway.

Cat approves of this floor tile.

66613DAF-3CDF-49E9-AC0B-091A2D46980E.jpeg
28978ACD-59CA-41C9-94F9-E067A94CECE1.jpeg

Patrick

Staff member
Ok thanks for the suggestion @clarkenstein I was dreading going down the black hole
Of pulling up all the tiles and the wife did not approve once I told her it would take longer

We debated pulling the tiles anyway and putting the luxury vinyl on a new underlayment. But she figured it’s the same difference and less time the bathroom is out of commission.

Anyway the decision is made and prep work has begun. See you over in the DIY thread where I will regret and question every decision i make anyway.

Cat approves of this floor tile.

View attachment 103370View attachment 103371

take it back and get resilient vinyl flooring that snaps together.

good luck - this can look ok with much patience.

iman29

take it back and get resilient vinyl flooring that snaps together.

good luck - this can look ok with much patience.

hmm... didnt see many options other than wood floor type planks and she doesnt want wood because the vanity is already a nice wood color. Tile type color/pattern is preferred.

online now checking other options since floor is not planned to be installed for a few days anyway. If you can post up or PM me an example its appreciated and maybe I can find a similar type pattern/color she likes.

thanks!

Patrick

Staff member
thanks - will browse some more she really wants more of a tile type look since the vanity and mirror are wood, but I have a few days to change her mind if needed.

:thumbsup:

you will hate the ones with that sticky strip after a year. on the other hand, they area very easy to replace, and go down quickly,
so it is a good 'yes dear' option.

iman29

iman29

And she even likes the solid plank tile ones better than the original.

I will blog the project in DIY thread but thanks
for the suggestion @Patrick

Top Bottom