A real question about ceramic tiles...

iman29

Ok so for all the home improvement folks here I thought I would give this a shot here if you can help.

I am trying to source some replacement tiles for the bathroom floor to fix the cracked ones since I don’t have the time or more so the funds (or a job right now) to fully renovate. The previous homeowner had to repair this bathroom before I bought the house and it seems like the contractor did a shit job of prep because almost all the ones near the base of the tub where it meets the floor are cracked.

This is part of a bigger “honey do” list where I need to change the 65 year old vanity and sink because it’s rotted. And she wants a new mirror and new toilet and I have to finally paint over the white primer that’s been there for 18 years since we moved here. That will be a future DIY thread. ??‍♂️??‍♂️

I tried the big box stores and no luck finding the right size or style. I tried one store that I will leave nameless and the first thing she said to me after I told her I just want to replace 5-8 tiles was “you should replace the floor” and told me I had to custom order at least one box and it’s 100 bucks and takes 4-6 weeks. I said thanks anyway and walked out.

Wondering if any of you know a place where they may have some old inventory or something like that. Before I go on a wild scavenger hunt or I have to go order a whole box from that lady.

Looking for matte white 6x6 floor tiles.

walter

Fourth Party
Daltile is in Jamesburg right off the turnpike. They may not necessarily sell to non contractors but i went there and was able to pay cash for a box of tile. Maybe they can help.

iman29

Daltile is in Jamesburg right off the turnpike. They may not necessarily sell to non contractors but i went there and was able to pay cash for a box of tile. Maybe they can help.
Totally didn’t know that thanks.

I think the one sample the annoying lady showed me was from that manufacturer so maybe they have it in the store.

walter

Fourth Party
Totally didn’t know that thanks.

I think the one sample the annoying lady showed me was from that manufacturer so maybe they have it in the store.

I dont remember if they are a manufacturing facility or just warehouse, but i gave them some story that my contractor friend sent me there blah blah blah and they didnt give me a hassle.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sounds to me the bigger problem is what's going on under those tiles especially so close to water source. Tile is pretty cheap and a solid weekend can get you a new floor and take care of the problem instead of again replacing the band laid fix. Not trying to be a dick just offering my experience being in the field.

iman29

Sounds to me the bigger problem is what's going on under those tiles especially so close to water source. Tile is pretty cheap and a solid weekend can get you a new floor and take care of the problem instead of again replacing the band laid fix. Not trying to be a dick just offering my experience being in the field.
I know what you mean I don’t take it as any offense. I already pulled a few pieces up for that reason and it’s dry as a bone but there definitely isn’t enough mastic under the tiles that I can see so far.

I’ve repaired tiles before but I haven’t laid down a whole floor before and not looking to get that deep into a project that’s already in too deep.

If it turns out the floor is wet I will have to bite the bullet and change the floor too ??

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It doesn't have to be wet it needs to be free from any movement. Number one problem is subflooring flex hence why cement composite underlayment is so popular. Back in day before cement boards I always laid the tile in sheet metal lath and thinset. If tile is just on ply subflooring increases the chances of cracking 2 fold.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Thanks let me know happy to trade for your favorite beer

No winners in the basement, these are 4", I have 12" ones as well and some generic stick downs that could have been from any government building in the 90s.
IMG_20190818_131953873.jpg

While out on a walk I did see these.... 4 houses from me
IMG_20190818_115545024.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Unfortunately tiles do not burn well, otherwise, you know......

how about removing 1 row in front of tub, and replacing with something complimentary, in a small format - like 1x1 or 1x2 tiles.
then grout them with silicone caulk - it is flexible. the tiles are too small to crack, the caulk will have some give.

these can be purchased as individual sheets from the big box, so not too much waste.

this would be a good, temporary solution, until you start your bathroom remodeling thread.

iman29

It doesn't have to be wet it needs to be free from any movement. Number one problem is subflooring flex hence why cement composite underlayment is so popular. Back in day before cement boards I always laid the tile in sheet metal lath and thinset. If tile is just on ply subflooring increases the chances of cracking 2 fold.
Makes total sense seems they are laid onto plywood only as you guessed so there’s probably too much flex in the subfloor.

Will post a pic to give a better idea.

iman29

Unfortunately tiles do not burn well, otherwise, you know......

how about removing 1 row in front of tub, and replacing with something complimentary, in a small format - like 1x1 or 1x2 tiles.
then grout them with silicone caulk - it is flexible. the tiles are too small to crack, the caulk will have some give.

these can be purchased as individual sheets from the big box, so not too much waste.

this would be a good, temporary solution, until you start your bathroom remodeling thread.
Haha yeah they don’t burn.

You know I like this idea a lot but the floor is laid on a 45 degree angle so not sure it would look great but you might be on to something much easier as cheaper as a temporary long term fix.

Like until I win the lottery and can gut the whole room and start over.

iman29

The corner is the worst part. Clearly it’s just mastic laid right over the plywood.

Based on @Patrick idea I wonder if I can even find some 12x12 tiles instead and replace some groups of 4 tiles with 1 12x12. Won’t look perfect but solves the problem for now.

Yes it’s a Band aid but much less costs than the whole floor and ripping out the pink tub.

7CB291B7-D169-49C6-B7E3-D1DE6D1F83F1.jpeg
074A36C9-AF12-4B53-928B-6FAF9E324C44.jpeg

Top Bottom