A message to the angry spandex brigade!

p-town

I am reading this message by wonderturtle( sorry a little late posting this crap is not my thing) and I was looking to post a similar response to the a-hole that was rude while riding uphill on my favorite downhill. Sure Hartshorne does not have much vertical but it does have some nice variation. Personally I am not fond of the ups and prefer the downs. My rig is more for going down but climbs ok.
I stopped in the middle of my favorite part of the trail to let some guys climb. No "thank you," not a "what's up," not even a look or nod.
Just because you ride a $7000 carbon fiber mid-life-crisis-bike and sport a new Trek jersey does not make you cool looking or god of the trails. In fact you look like a kook. Chill with the attitude. Be thankful we can ride these trails. Be mindful of others on the trails. Yield to hikers.
To all you haters out there loosen the spandex around your junk. These trails are open to all and I get bad looks from hikers and some of these spandex brigades that ride with 10 people. What is more dangerous some guy riding fast down hills or a herd of nerds passing walking trail goers.
If people are aware of others than these things really shouldn't happen.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
To all you haters out there loosen the spandex around your junk. These trails are open to all and I get bad looks from hikers and some of these spandex brigades that ride with 10 people.

Welcome to MTBNJ.
I wear spandex around my junk and like to ride fast on trails with brigades of people. I also try to smile at everyone I pass, even the hikers with there dog off a leash.

But seriously if someone on a trail does not say hi to you it doesnt mean they hate you. Lighten up Francis, if you post up an intro on the First Timer thread you'll get a bunch of folks to say hi to you.:)

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice first post you'll do fine here. I hear luke is recruiting for his notights birgade this winter you should hit him up. It's good to know that you do know the rules of the trail (yeild to uphill riders). Don't worry about those poser roadie imposters, there all jerks. Oh welcome from a spendex wearing SSing old jerk...

wonderturtle

first - props for stopping to let the uphill riders go by.

however, I have to say that not getting a "hi" is not quite a terrible offense and is not too uncommon. it's not like they cut you off when you were climbing causing you to fall and scrape up your arm or something ;)

I have come across a number of "better than you" type riders out there over the years. they are quite common. cant let them bother you.

gtluke

The Moped
I need to take team no tights to the next level.
I have a really hard time with riders who take themselves Too seriously too.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
You might want to check out IMBA's Rules for the Trails. Here: http://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

Specifically #4.Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

RonC

ZGOZZ Macman
Wow welcome to the forums.
LOL:hysterica

Mean People suck, and if you expect any thank you from people today.
You will be pissed off all your life. What matters you did the right thing.

p-town

Easy

The funny thing here is the this started as a reply to something I read about some guy getting cut off on a fire road. That sucks for you. What can I say people are dicks. Probably a kid that doesn't know any better because he was never taught that such a thing was wrong. It turned into a rant about kids wearing full face helmets and using downhill bikes. A lot of negativity towards these people.

The trails can be shared by all.

I would rather see a young person riding a bike (and wearing a helmet) than spending hours on end inside watching tv, texting, face book and all of the other mindless things you can find on the internet.(like posting a million times on a blog most likely from a computer at work) Somebody needs to step up and teach these younger me generations respect.

To the older bike crowd don't you remember Necking and drag racing that bitchin' camaro to blow of youthful exuberance. Or just blow off something else.

Ringing a bell before a corner. Are those bike rules from a 1950's cold war film.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I am reading this message by wonderturtle( sorry a little late posting this crap is not my thing) and I was looking to post a similar response to the a-hole that was rude while riding uphill on my favorite downhill. Sure Hartshorne does not have much vertical but it does have some nice variation. Personally I am not fond of the ups and prefer the downs. My rig is more for going down but climbs ok.
I stopped in the middle of my favorite part of the trail to let some guys climb. No "thank you," not a "what's up," not even a look or nod.
Just because you ride a $7000 carbon fiber mid-life-crisis-bike and sport a new Trek jersey does not make you cool looking or god of the trails. In fact you look like a kook. Chill with the attitude. Be thankful we can ride these trails. Be mindful of others on the trails. Yield to hikers.
To all you haters out there loosen the spandex around your junk. These trails are open to all and I get bad looks from hikers and some of these spandex brigades that ride with 10 people. What is more dangerous some guy riding fast down hills or a herd of nerds passing walking trail goers.
If people are aware of others than these things really shouldn't happen.

Reread your post, your being the kook. Just saying.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Ringing a bell before a corner. Are those bike rules from a 1950's cold war film.

Funny thing is you have no idea how fast some of these mid-life spandex homos can ride. I know a few who will f-your day hard if they dont ring a 1950's bell as they round a corner going 18mph uphill. You may wake up with your full face hanging out of your ass and pieces of a $7000 carbon bike catherterizing your pecker if you cant follow simple suggestions about etiquette.

wonderturtle

actually, ringing a bell around a blind corner is just common sense. there is a particular corner on Laurel Ridge where I ring my bell like crazy when approaching it. I dont want to have a head-on collision with another biker also going 15 mph (that would hurt!!) or run into a family pushing a jog stroller or walking a dog. call me nuts but I like to avoid collisions.

thing is P-Town - there is a point in your posts. unfornately its buried by a layer of nonsense (e.g., half the people on this board spend a good amount of time covered in spandex). think about it - perhaps not a great way to introduce yourself to the board. just sayin'

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
thing is P-Town - there is a point in your posts. unfornately its buried by a layer of nonsense (e.g., half the people on this board spend a good amount of time covered in spandex). think about it - perhaps not a great way to introduce yourself to the board. just sayin'

+1

Just a friendly bit of advice. I know it won't be heeded but I'm really just entertaining myself. When you show up to a bike riding message board you're probably not going to get the best reception if you say something like, "Hey you bike riding fagots, now listen up!"

YMMV, of course. Anyway, best of luck with the revolution. And remember, if you hear the air raid siren make sure you ring your Kruschev bell right before you crouch down in your rear triangle for maximum safety coverage in the event that the bombs drop nearby.

In general I ban people for like a month when they re-open a post that I locked. But this is weekend entertainment, so I figure I'll let it run a bit first.

kidzach

P-town has a bit of a point.But must stop looking for respect at each turn and lower the hate volume a touch.Respect is earned not given.Just keep doing the right things on the trails and it will rub off sooner or later.Then you will have the respect that you so deserve.Just lay off the spandex and Camaros sir.:popcorn:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions