A "Juicy" Problem

B

bubuli

Guys:

I'm pretty much a n00b on bikes and the only "repairs" i have done on my bikes is replace flat tires, replace handlebars, and replace/adjust saddle position/height.

I have Juicy 5's on one of my bikes and it "squeals" when i tilt the bike (not riding it)...and when i try to spin the rear wheel it stops by itself without pulling the brake lever. Upon inspection, I see that one of the pads is hitting the disc very slightly; I tried to re-seat the wheels to no avail..

The last time I've had a similar problem (wheels stopping without pulling lever) was due to a crash (disc got bent) and was fixed by my LBS (the awesomest Halter's Cycles)...and that last time it didn't do that "squealing."

I don't want to look like a retard and bring this to Halter's (yet again) if this is something that's easy to adjust (relatively?).

I searched the intarwebs but i cannot find info on doing this adjustment...if it's even possible.

thanks.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
You need to re-adjust the caliper. Loosen the 2 top bolts and you'll see the caliper is free to move around. Sometimes if you re-tighten the bolts while squeezing the brake it'll go where it needs to be, but most of the time the rotor is slightly off so you'll need to fine-tune it with your eyeball.

-Jim.

B

bubuli

You need to re-adjust the caliper. Loosen the 2 top bolts and you'll see the caliper is free to move around. Sometimes if you re-tighten the bolts while squeezing the brake it'll go where it needs to be, but most of the time the rotor is slightly off so you'll need to fine-tune it with your eyeball.

-Jim.

that did the trick!! so i guess this is Avid's Tri-Align Caliper Positioning System (CPS) at work (i read about this just a few minutes ago after reading your post)... :D thank you!

Top Bottom