A 'Hi' from a newie ;)

B

Baskharion

Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to say that this site seems to be the best mtb site I have came across for NJ!! People here seem to be bubbly & friendly ;)
I am new to mtb! But now, oh boy!! am I addicted!!!! It's a great sport!!
I have been training at 6 mile run on rt. 27! It's a fairly easy trail for a beginner, not technical, but enjoyable at the same time (at least for a beginner like me ;))!!
Does anyone know of any other good beginner trails, where I can hone my mtb skills???

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
if you are willing to drive a little bit you can check out allaire. it has something for everyone. and if you post up about riding there youll easily find a guide to show you around. welcome to the site!

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Welcome to the spot. Keep an ear to the groud in the spring for the Allaire beginner rides. You will find a ride to fit you somewhere on this site.

B

Baskharion

Thanks!! Yes, everybody is saying go to allaire!! So, I will probably go check it out sometime this week!!

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome aboard,
no don't go to Allaire it is much to sandy plus there are hunters all around trying to shoot the lions,tigers and bears. :)

PTB66

Welcome! I'm in South River. Definitely give Allaire a go. It's only about 40 minutes from us.
I'd stay away from 6 mile for a while, it's a soupy mess. Probably headed out to Allaire today at some point and definitely tomorrow (Monday) as there is a group ride forming around 10am.

B

Baskharion

Welcome aboard,
no don't go to Allaire it is much to sandy plus there are hunters all around trying to shoot the lions,tigers and bears. :)

Lions, tigers ??? are you serious?? here in NJ?? The bears thing I have been through, but are u serious dude??? ;) hahaha...either way, I am adventurous and I would love to come across something like that, it would be AWESOME!!! I heard there are like zillion trails at allaire and the sandy ones are for horseback riders! May be the multi-use trail ( the longest one) is not sandy??? :hmmm: When you go there, which trail do u take?? a marked trail or not?? & how much miles do u make there??

B

Baskharion

About that group forming going to Allaire on Monday Dec the 15th, Do u know what riding level is it going to be???

Thanks,

PTB66

between the cold we have been having and all else going on in the world, please forgive me if i declare monday dec 15, 2008 official mtb in allaire day (monday weather supposed to be unseasonably warm!)

we are sort of booking the ride as a begginer/intermediate ride, but all are welcome,

Here's a link to the ride thread....

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8814

When you go there, which trail do u take?? a marked trail or not?? & how much miles do u make there??

trails are marked but it's really easy to get confused as to which trail leads into what....I've been there several times and I'm still finding new trails by accident.

probably averaging around 12 miles+

C

CultureCouture

willkommen

About that group forming going to Allaire on Monday Dec the 15th, Do u know what riding level is it going to be???

Thanks,

I'm doing that ride too and I'm a beginner. I just started mtbing in October. We can stay towards the back of the pack. :)

B

Baskharion

Hey that would be gr8 CultureCouture!! So, it will be two girls at the end of the pack then! lol ;) I just started recently too!! & I'm already hooked!! :)

dualfisted

whaddup Newb???

Welcome to the sport. Allaire is definitely the place for winter riding in nj. Definitely go with a group or at least someone who knows the trails until u get familiar with the place. U may not disappear for a week there, but u will do circles and criss cross yerself and then think it really sux there and have a miserable ride. Also, read up on trail etiquette, as Allaire is a hi-volume trail system with a very mixxed user base. Have fun on the group ride tomorrow, wish I could be there.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
It also wouldn't be a bad idea to check out Cheesequake State Park. It's a little place with a sub-4-mile loop, but it's fun if you're close and nearly impossible to get lost there. I grew up in Cliffwood Beach and rode there almost every day.:D

-Jim.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
im in south amboy and so is walter allaire 6mile and hartshorne, mercer are all short drives and good riding. def look for group rides. oh and hey

B

Baskharion

I have been to the Cheesequake state park, I agree too short, I think I was there for less than 10 min!!! way too short of a loop!!
Anyways, I will keep my eyes open for group rides!! Thanks guys!
I have heard alot about hartshorne, it must be that good if everybody is talking about it ;) lol & to the people of So. Amboy, HI :) So. Amboy was my hometown!! It's an awesome lt. town :) and it's getting prettier and prettier around the bay area!! but way too crowded nowadays :(!!

B

Baskharion

I graduated from So. Amboy H.S.!! Lol, I lived there for quite sometime, but moved after I got into college to Sayreville!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I have been to the Cheesequake state park, I agree too short, I think I was there for less than 10 min!!! way too short of a loop!!

Hmmmm. The loop is short, but not 10 minutes short. I believe you may have missed quite a bit of the trail:D

-Jim.

Top Bottom