A Big Thumbs Down to Campmor

monteverest

Lots of MTBNJ members are sponsored and patronized by Campmor so I expect to be flamed by this review.

Bought Shimano 520 pedals from Campmor two months ago and have put about 150 miles on the pedals - all of it at Wawayanda. Last week, I discovered one side pf the right pedal tension mount had slipped out from the locking platform. The right pedal is useless.

I brought the pedals back to Campmor today to exchange since the pedals were purchased just over 2 months ago. They inspected the pedals and claimed the pedals had been "abused" and refused an exchange. Additionally, they also told me my "only option" (bad choice of customer service words) was to send the pedals back to Shimano for evaluation - a 2 to 6 week process. Winter is already here at that point. Platform pedals were offered as replacement which I refused (I also had to ask for interim replacements first).

Campmor refused to listen to my explanation that the pedals had not been abused but used in normal riding conditions on the same trails sponsored by Campmor's H2H series. Sure, the pedal has scrapes but that is the nature of mountain biking. These are not road bike pedals after all. My previous Cannondale stock pedals lasted 3 years over the same trails. Two months of normal wear and tear should not break a pedal.

Clearly, the Shimano 520 pedals were too weak for usual trail conditions but Campmor should stand behind the products it sells. Such a shame since a Titus Motolite was on my radar for next spring.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would suggest either calling or going back and ask to speak to a manager. Your best bet is to remain calm throughout the process, and be firm in letting them know you will no longer shop there if this issue isn't resolved to your satisfaction.

To all, any flames will be put on the Garbage Heap thread, or whatever it's called.

BiknBen

Bash Campmor or Shimano? That is a tough call. I wouldn't say Campmor owes you anything. You used the product for two months and it failed. Yes, you got the shaft.

The 520 is a pretty low-end pedal. I think you discovered its limits. Send it back to Shimano for a replacement and roll the dice.

Buy another pedal in the mean time. Now you have a better idea of the type of pedal you want/like. You can make a more educated choice for your next purchase.

If Shimano sends you a replacement...Spare pedals. :D

monteverest

Firstly, let me clarify that I was not trying to bash anyone. My review is an honest evaluation of my experiences and what others may expect from Campmor.

Second, the Shimano 520 is a low-end pedal but it is, when well constructed, strong and reliable. In fact, it rates more favorably than many of its more expensive competitors. The version I received failed for reasons other than "abuse" as Campmor had concluded.

Thirdly, is Campmor responsible for the failure? At the least Campmor is complicit because it should stand behind the products it sells. I bought specifically from Campmor in the mistaken belief they practice terrific customer service and because I wanted to patronize and support a local bike shop and retailer. I could have bought the 520 (or any bike product) for a less from an online or national retailer - and one with a better return policy. REI, for instance, would have accepted the pedals without question.

In the end, I absorbed the loss because the pedals were not fit for purpose (a contractual breech). This makes it much more difficult for me to support a local dealer and local dealers in general because of transactions like this.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I understand your frustration, since we've all been there before. But I think you need to bring it back to them and tell them this whole story, and include the part about going to them over an online retailer because of this policy.

It sounds to me like you're being mad to be mad at this point. I think there's still a happy resolution to the situation if you get in touch with the right person.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Obviously that sucks and it seems it should have worked out different for you, but I'd like to note that Campmor has taken care of me many, many times and I'm not sponsored by them or anything. I've never had to take anything back to them, but their customer service has always been good for me.

I've also owned pair of 520s for two years now (bought them used at that) and have smashed them in million of rocks without a single incident. Others say the same. Sounds like you had a unique incident.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I know exactly what happened to your pedal.

It CAN be fixed. I have done it. It is a crappy job.

Fred did this exact same thing to his pedals the first time he rode them.

Shimano WILL warranty it.

The turnaround should be less than a week.

That is all.

Does it feel better when you rant on the interweb??

ArmyOfNone

I know exactly what happened to your pedal.

It CAN be fixed. I have done it. It is a crappy job.

Fred did this exact same thing to his pedals the first time he rode them.

Shimano WILL warranty it.

The turnaround should be less than a week.

That is all.

Does it feel better when you rant on the interweb??

Ooohhh! yea i did. but I fell of a bridge.

fwiw, I am still riding those replacement pedals on my mtb. The are holding up just fine and they have taken quite a beating.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
2 months is a long time, i dont know if i could bring anything back that ive bought after two months to the supplier and expect anything in return. to the company though? yes.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I find that i bash my pedals at Wawa more than than any other park. It is those perfect size implanted rocks. You know that section off the bottom of rattlesnake, across the fireroad that goes along the side of the pond and is basically a long rock garden? That section claimed my first crankset.

Funny, with what i/we do with mountain bikes i wouldn't even consider returning a set of pedals after two months of riding. It is hard to define abuse with mtbing. I think that if you choose riding techy stuff versus buff singletrack you kind of inherit responsibility.

I used those pedals in the past. They are great for learning because of there adjustment. The pedals took a ton of abuse and never died on me. But i find that they unclip easy when they do hit rocks. I switched to the Time Atac and they are much better at not unclipping.

clutch

Lots of MTBNJ members are sponsored and patronized by Campmor so I expect to be flamed by this review.

Bought Shimano 520 pedals from Campmor two months ago and have put about 150 miles on the pedals - all of it at Wawayanda. Last week, I discovered one side pf the right pedal tension mount had slipped out from the locking platform. The right pedal is useless.

[...]

what came out of what? pedal tension mount? is that E in this picture?

cleat.jpg

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I find that i bash my pedals at Wawa more than than any other park. It is those perfect size implanted rocks. You know that section off the bottom of rattlesnake, across the fireroad that goes along the side of the pond and is basically a long rock garden? That section claimed my first crankset.

Pickle?

monteverest

@clutch - its the spring that coils around E and presses against platform C. the two prongs extending from the coil no longer sit under the platform. Campmor said it couldn't be repaired.

We could go on and on about whether the pedals were fit for purpose, etc but in the end, Campmor had an opportunity to build and extend goodwill with a customer but decided not too. Granted, Campmor has to protect its business interest against freeloaders but demonstrating faith and acting as a customer advocate when the situation is grey will go a long ways towards keeping customers loyal.

I thank everyone for your responses and keeping the discourse elevated. Campmor has indeed provided exceptional customer service in the past to people I know; hence it was a shock to me that they didn't extend the courtesy to me. The episode this morning at Campmor has so burned any goodwill I had towards them that I can't further approach them about returning anything. This is really too bad because they are a Titus dealer and I have my sights on a Motolite in the spring. Now I'm in the unfortunately position of absorbing the loss for the pedal and patronizing a chain like REI with a liberal return policy.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
No offense to the LBS's but things like stems, bars, saddles, pedals, or anything i can basically put on with my basic toolset in ten minutes gets bought on the internet.

But things aren't looking so bad, you were just offered a free set of egg beaters. Call it a win.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Bummer!

I also had one of my E's pop out of my C.
Fortunately, I had dual sided pedals and made it home.
Sadly, the pedals were nearly a year old I had no recourse. So I fought and cringed and yanked and pressed and shoved and managed to get that wayward E crammed back into my C.

Since then, I have adjusted the tension so it isn't so loose and they've lived through 3 races and a trip to Kingdom Trails. I just keep it a little tighter now and all is well.

Top Bottom