9 speed chain on 8 speed cassette

MTB Aussie

Did anyone throw a nine speed chain onto an 8 speed drivetrain? Does the slightly thinner chain have trouble with the shifting due to a slightly wider gear spacing on the rear?

I have an 8 speed Alivio on my commuter bike and want to reuse chains from my mtb. (and yes, i know an old chain will wear out the cassette and chainrings, but the cassette and chainrings are used, the cassette is just older, the chainrings are hand me downs from the 9 speed setup on my other bike).

A friend said that I "reduce, reuse, cycle" :) :) :)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Did anyone throw a nine speed chain onto an 8 speed drivetrain? Does the slightly thinner chain have trouble with the shifting due to a slightly wider gear spacing on the rear?

I have an 8 speed Alivio on my commuter bike and want to reuse chains from my mtb. (and yes, i know an old chain will wear out the cassette and chainrings, but the cassette and chainrings are used, the cassette is just older, the chainrings are hand me downs from the 9 speed setup on my other bike).

A friend said that I "reduce, reuse, cycle" :) :) :)

It might work with grip shif but I doubt you will see good shifting with rapid fire. Grip shift lets you slightly overshift by twisting the grip a bit farther.

The narrower chain won't quite catch the next cog fully with each shift.

Buy a stainless SRAM 8 speed chain and be happy.

Use Dumonde Tech Lite on the cables for better shifting yet.

http://www.dumondetech.com/ProductBicycle.html

This is by far the best lube I have ever found.

Top Bottom