9-22/23 Weekend Events & Conditions

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Races & Rides

Rumble in the Jungle (Sun) - Jungle Habitat, H2H series race #7
Van Dessel Hole Shot (Sat) - CX at High Point State Park
Hoboken Ski Club ride at Mahlon Dickerson (Sat) - 11:00 am, beginner/intermediate

Trail Maintenance

No TM session scheduled this week.

Weekly Trail Conditions Report

Allaire Good (9-19) - "Allaire is in great shape. We need some folks to "ride-in" a re-route we completed on Sunday. It's at the south end 'Pit'."

"Conditions at Allaire today were near perfect. The late morning still left a touch of dew on the trails which made for some nice, tacky riding. Tiger woods is in great shape, river trail also doing well. Usual small spots of sand on my normal loop, but nothing out of the ordinary. Great day for riding, temp at ride time was 70 degrees. Again, great job to Frank(gt2brew) and his usual suspects for keeping these trails in such great condition."

Allamuchy West/Tranquility Good (9-19) - "Stevens, Deer Park and Tranquility are fine. No standing water anywhere."

Allamuchy East/Waterloo Good (9-19) - "Allamuchy Tranquility and Waterloo side today. Trails were in excellent shape!"

Allamuchy Deer Park Good (9-19) - "Stevens, Deer Park and Tranquility are fine. No standing water anywhere."

Chimney Rock Good (9-14) - No updates

Hartshorne & Huber Average (9-21) - "Spun around Huber Woods this afternoon. The trails are as heavily eroded as I've ever seen them, accompanied by the attendant dose of deep, dense sand which has run off. I'd say the place is in a "Catch 22" state right now, as it needs moisture to firm things up, but more rain will also add to the rutting. Don't go out of your way to ride there, I'd say. If you're local, you already know what you're getting anyway."

Jungle Habitat Good (9-19) - "Mahlon and Jungle Habitat are really dry and dusty right now. to the point where people should be careful about skidding and washing out in turns, both of which will become a lot easier to do in these conditions."

"pristine... even a little dusty. conditions at Ringwood and Ramapo will be identical"

Kittatinny Valley Good (9-14) - No updates

Mercer County Park Good (9-17) - No updates

Lewis Morris Good (9-13) - No updates

Mahlon Dickerson Good (9-19) - "Mahlon and Jungle Habitat are really dry and dusty right now. to the point where people should be careful about skidding and washing out in turns, both of which will become a lot easier to do in these conditions."

Ringwood/Ramapo Good (9-19) - "pristine... even a little dusty. conditions at Ringwood and Ramapo will be identical"

Round Valley Good (9-18) - "I rode RV out-and-back yesterday. One thing to look out for is loose rocks, some of them are big and given the speed one can achieve there it's easy to wash out. Also it makes the climbs a little more sketchy."

Six Mile Good (9-14) - No updates

Sourlands Good (9-6) - No updates

Tourne Good (9-20) - "Dry dry dry. Downright dusty in most spots."

Wawayanda Good (8-30) - No updates

Wharton Good (8-30) - No updates

Wildcat WMA Good (9-16) - No updates

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
New post for the week. Not a comprehensive set of new comments but everything is good right now. Some places are actually too good, dry even.

No TM sessions this week. Plenty of options for races/rides though.

Any comments please fire away and I'll update ASAP.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cool, good deal, glad you guys like. Last week we got a little more feedback which helped a lot. All the trails are nice now, but I'd like to work out the kinks before the crappy season hits. The goal is to have no "No Updates" in there.

It may be better to post this on a Wednesday? Friday morning is a tad late. Then it could be more of an organic-growth thing that happens during the week.

Input, comments, suggestions, and, of course, free beer always welcomed!

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
awesome work! I just have one question/suggestion:

Where do you get the updates from? Do you ride all of those places? Get them from other members? etc...

Maybe a way to prevent all of the "No Updates" is by assigning a member to each trail. For example, Chimney Rock flows right into my backyard. I could walk out there on a Wednesday, and be able to give you report for Friday. That way if we have guys who are close to all of those trails be able to give solid reports, with less " No Updates".

Just an idea... :eek:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
awesome work! I just have one question/suggestion:

Where do you get the updates from? Do you ride all of those places? Get them from other members? etc...

Maybe a way to prevent all of the "No Updates" is by assigning a member to each trail. For example, Chimney Rock flows right into my backyard. I could walk out there on a Wednesday, and be able to give you report for Friday. That way if we have guys who are close to all of those trails be able to give solid reports, with less " No Updates".

Just an idea... :eek:

The reports come from a bunch of different people who ride during the week. While there are no "assigned" trails there are certain people who ride certain parks every week. Other people hop around every week and give an update. Sometimes I have more than 1 update per park. Sometimes none.

Every week I send an email to this group of (now 16 or so) people and they reply with reports. If you'd like to be on the list, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll add you to the Yahoo diustribution group. The stronger that list is the more these reports help.

Next week I will probably put this out Thursday morning go give it 2 full days to "soak in" so to speak.

Thanks for playing along!

walter

Fourth Party
norm, lets say, hypothetically that you and I rode together, would I still need to email you a conditions report?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
norm, lets say, hypothetically that you and I rode together, would I still need to email you a conditions report?

I would expect you to write them down and hand them to me. Or recite TC poetry after the ride while eating tacos.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Huber Woods

Spun around Huber Woods this afternoon. The trails are as heavily eroded as I've ever seen them, accompanied by the attendant dose of deep, dense sand which has run off. I'd say the place is in a "Catch 22" state right now, as it needs moisture to firm things up, but more rain will also add to the rutting.

Don't go out of your way to ride there, I'd say. If you're local, you already know what you're getting anyway.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Spun around Huber Woods this afternoon. The trails are as heavily eroded as I've ever seen them, accompanied by the attendant dose of deep, dense sand which has run off. I'd say the place is in a "Catch 22" state right now, as it needs moisture to firm things up, but more rain will also add to the rutting.

Don't go out of your way to ride there, I'd say. If you're local, you already know what you're getting anyway.

Thanks Chris. I went and downgraded the H/H parks to average because it sounds like they're hardly in "good" shape.

scalpel6

Very Cool

Races & Rides

Rumble in the Jungle (Sun) - Jungle Habitat, H2H series race #7
Van Dessel Hole Shot (Sat) - CX at High Point State Park
Hoboken Ski Club ride at Mahlon Dickerson (Sat) - 11:00 am, beginner/intermediate

Trail Maintenance

No TM session scheduled this week.

Weekly Trail Conditions Report

Allaire Good (9-19) - "Allaire is in great shape. We need some folks to "ride-in" a re-route we completed on Sunday. It's at the south end 'Pit'."

"Conditions at Allaire today were near perfect. The late morning still left a touch of dew on the trails which made for some nice, tacky riding. Tiger woods is in great shape, river trail also doing well. Usual small spots of sand on my normal loop, but nothing out of the ordinary. Great day for riding, temp at ride time was 70 degrees. Again, great job to Frank(gt2brew) and his usual suspects for keeping these trails in such great condition."

Allamuchy West/Tranquility Good (9-19) - "Stevens, Deer Park and Tranquility are fine. No standing water anywhere."

Allamuchy East/Waterloo Good (9-19) - "Allamuchy Tranquility and Waterloo side today. Trails were in excellent shape!"

Allamuchy Deer Park Good (9-19) - "Stevens, Deer Park and Tranquility are fine. No standing water anywhere."

Chimney Rock Good (9-14) - No updates

Hartshorne & Huber Average (9-21) - "Spun around Huber Woods this afternoon. The trails are as heavily eroded as I've ever seen them, accompanied by the attendant dose of deep, dense sand which has run off. I'd say the place is in a "Catch 22" state right now, as it needs moisture to firm things up, but more rain will also add to the rutting. Don't go out of your way to ride there, I'd say. If you're local, you already know what you're getting anyway."

Jungle Habitat Good (9-19) - "Mahlon and Jungle Habitat are really dry and dusty right now. to the point where people should be careful about skidding and washing out in turns, both of which will become a lot easier to do in these conditions."

"pristine... even a little dusty. conditions at Ringwood and Ramapo will be identical"

Kittatinny Valley Good (9-14) - No updates

Mercer County Park Good (9-17) - No updates

Lewis Morris Good (9-13) - No updates

Mahlon Dickerson Good (9-19) - "Mahlon and Jungle Habitat are really dry and dusty right now. to the point where people should be careful about skidding and washing out in turns, both of which will become a lot easier to do in these conditions."

Ringwood/Ramapo Good (9-19) - "pristine... even a little dusty. conditions at Ringwood and Ramapo will be identical"

Round Valley Good (9-18) - "I rode RV out-and-back yesterday. One thing to look out for is loose rocks, some of them are big and given the speed one can achieve there it's easy to wash out. Also it makes the climbs a little more sketchy."

Six Mile Good (9-14) - No updates

Sourlands Good (9-6) - No updates

Tourne Good (9-20) - "Dry dry dry. Downright dusty in most spots."

Wawayanda Good (8-30) - No updates

Wharton Good (8-30) - No updates

Wildcat WMA Good (9-16) - No updates

Great post!!!!!!!!

BAIN

Kittatinny

Is in great shape right now. I went there on thursday afternoon and tried to hit up as much as I could. Whoever that older couple is that does the trail maintenance over there deserves a pat on the back. A lot of familiar mudholes have been enhanced with nicely done log and flat rock combinations. There are a few new trees down, but nothing that is in harms way of any nice downhills or getting in the way of your climb. For some reason the "Bulldog" trail as I call it has been closed for "B's", but it is still very easy to ride. I didn't see any evidence while I was over this time or the couple before that. Tower Trail is ready for anyone that it has defeated in the past. There is a new mellow loop trail on the parallel trail to the singletrack that is getting some good use. The switchback off of the main parking lot is getting pretty chewed up for anyone who doesn't think "flex" offers any good climbs. And the descent of the backside to the lake is a cruiser right now. All hardpack with no loose. Some old trails are popping up again and getting more use between the two parking lots. There is a new trail behind the corn field to get you around those down trees and picker bush's that I just found which I thank someone. All in all I had a blast and I will probably be back there on thursday. Heading to Stokes right now to get bounced around and will try to remember to report on that tomorrow.

Top Bottom