7 Speed Shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

iman29

Back in the spring found this 95 Trek Mountain track curbside and rescued it. Youngest wants to work on it together as a project bike and then use it for gravel trail
Rides and to take back and forth to the basketball court.

Turns out it’s not really in bad shape but the rear shifter won’t engage. The front one seems to have already been changed and works perfect.

Anyone have something compatible in the parts bin laying around?

Pics of both shifters for reference.

D8098408-C3E7-4F21-B609-699EBEE523E6.jpeg4114AF49-798D-4628-A6E3-4E8CB7ACAD82.jpeg9763D7AB-B565-48D5-8891-C7D83B2E61BC.jpegBFB9E075-5D55-4E5A-A2B8-C7AE77FBA29C.jpeg50119ADB-2ED8-4ED6-961A-BD5A30879E22.jpeg

Fire Lord Jim

At the Trenton Bike Exchange, we deal with non-engaging shifters all the time. Usually, it is an easy fix. We take off the cover, flood the mechanism with solvent, use a pick or small screwdriver to work the pawls. and get solvent into the pawls. The shifters most always come back to life.

iman29

At the Trenton Bike Exchange, we deal with non-engaging shifters all the time. Usually, it is an easy fix. We take off the cover, flood the mechanism with solvent, use a pick or small screwdriver to work the pawls. and get solvent into the pawls. The shifters most always come back to life.

good to know! i have not had time to mess with it but I will try this. using this bike as an opportunity to learn how to wrench on a bike with my son.

w_b

Microshift 7sp are readily available for like $20 new free ship if you got Prime. Easier than taking apart and flooding and picking.

mtbiker87

Looks like I used or sold all my 7/8 speed stuff in Shimano, except for a pair of 7 speed shifter/ brake lever combo deals. Yours if you want 'em for the low, low, price of free !

iman29

Looks like I used or sold all my 7/8 speed stuff in Shimano, except for a pair of 7 speed shifter/ brake lever combo deals. Yours if you want 'em for the low, low, price of free !
that might actually be what I need- i may have described it wrong originally.

can you put up a couple of pics?

iman29

good to know! i have not had time to mess with it but I will try this. using this bike as an opportunity to learn how to wrench on a bike with my son.

I owe @Fire Lord Jim a beer! Cleaned up the shifter and it works!

@mtbiker87 - if you dont need the spare shifters I will take them anyway for extras in case something fails on the bike since I plan to keep it. Maybe you can bring to Iron gate race unless I might see you again before then. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom