7 speed RD question

THATmanMANNY

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

I assume the shifter is also shimano 7spd? If so should work.
Yes. Cool. Thanks just wanted to double check with the awesome crew here!
Those cheap oem deraileurs sometimes have a hanger built in
This mongoose actually had a hanger on the steel frame. So the first one is the direct replacement. Of course it broke when front small ring and big back ring.

funny thing is when it broke the kid who actually broke on and was riding it knew to come to me and ask if I can fix it. They are like 12 yo

sad thing is, the owner of the bike is how am I going to get home. The other kid who broke it said I’ll walk you home and tell your parents what happened. I nearly cried.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
If they are just looking for something to get it running I have an old Raleigh that I can clean up and it will probably work fine. The problem with those cheap drivetrains is they go out of adjustment quickly and get bent up easily. Both lead to self destruction. I started converting the neighborhood kids bikes to single speed to avoid this. Many happy kids.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I assume this is one of those Walmart type bikes?
The problem I always run into is... how far do you go? There are so many things that needs attention.
The last one I worked on... needed grips, cable/housing and pedals.... which are fine.... regular wear/tear items but wheels aren't straight, the grease they used at all the bearing pts are like thick glue. Then you are tearing down the BB, headset and the wheel hubs. Thats a lot of work for a $150 bike.

jklett

I assume this is one of those Walmart type bikes?
The problem I always run into is... how far do you go? There are so many things that needs attention.
The last one I worked on... needed grips, cable/housing and pedals.... which are fine.... regular wear/tear items but wheels aren't straight, the grease they used at all the bearing pts are like thick glue. Then you are tearing down the BB, headset and the wheel hubs. Thats a lot of work for a $150 bike.
Yeah but the smile and thanks you get from the neighborhood kid whose only bike you just fixed makes all that time worth it. Big plus if you had them watch and taught them so they can do some of the maintenance themselves.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Yeah but the smile and thanks you get from the neighborhood kid whose only bike you just fixed makes all that time worth it. Big plus if you had them watch and taught them so they can do some of the maintenance themselves.
That's the thing... all that work and the kid prolly won't notice the difference.

serviceguy

You almost had me to tears, then the words ‘what took you so long to fix my bike, old fart?’ came to mind and I was brought back to reality!

THATmanMANNY

Nah, just fix what is needed and move on in life! Ha
I don’t have any problem with a $5 bike. It has a purpose.

$13k new car vs $50k minivan

cfrone1

Shop: Pops Bike Shop
Shop Keep
I didn't even know you could by the original POS one aftermarket...none of our suppliers sell it, not even Shimano direct!

We have plenty of Shimano rear derailleurs in stock if you wanted to get one today locally. Tourney TY300 are $25....Acera (black or silver, take your pick) are $40....(We have been hoarding parts all winter long in anticipation of a busy spring combined with impending parts shortages...)

Karate Monkey

I didn't even know you could by the original POS one aftermarket...none of our suppliers sell it, not even Shimano direct!

We have plenty of Shimano rear derailleurs in stock if you wanted to get one today locally. Tourney TY300 are $25....Acera (black or silver, take your pick) are $40....(We have been hoarding parts all winter long in anticipation of a busy spring combined with impending parts shortages...)

They came from somewhere. Maybe not that specific model, but I remember them showing up on QBP or someone else (Cyclone?) [TZ-30s] for a hot minute when everything went to shit last year.

It ain't pretty, but it's still a Lark

HctRFPOwGO6PjeknNbkA50d_leJh9xR7pXr4KnLqAUSyP1_RzZoxAufMDJRwI_DTCHDQx4M2iB69wRay00Zg8eNb6byATCb3yObB2fqEbF3KoHOhArBsyATLg6DY2D95HebIRLxKEGGnvg6Pcb8UjS7IVpM_jrUIQA

(joke has landed)

Top Bottom