7/28 - Rattling Creek Marathon

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No no, no need to retype. You should try the race, just because. As usual, your comment will be given due weight in due time.

Glancing Aft

My bike needs mondo amounts of work right now, but if I can get it up to race shape again by next weekend I may actually do this race, since I was going to be out in York for the weekend anyway. I'll PM if I end up doing it.

Maurice

Looks like a good event to do. I'll be down in NC for NMBS. XC and short track, should be fun. Super D might be fun, I'll see if I can bring the 575 also.

Good luck Norm and everyone else taking on this race.

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So here's the press release for this:

50 RATTLING MILES MARATHON

featuring

Quite Possibly the Very Best Singletrack in Pennsylvania

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

July 20, 2007; Conshohocken, PA, USA: “These trails and the Rattling Creek Single Trackers club’s approach are models that should be implemented and followed throughout the entire country,” so says Mike Kuhn, promoter of the 50 Rattling Miles Marathon Mountain Bike Race on Saturday, July 28. And he should know. As the director of the Hammer Nutrition Endurance division of the DelmarvaJobs.com Mid-Atlantic Super Series, Kuhn is familiar with all the large-scale trail networks across the huge Mid-Atlantic region. And, as an ad spokesman for VisitPA.com and a member of the VisitPA.com racing team, it’s his responsibility to know all about the best in PA. When it comes to the Rattling Creek Trail Network’s construction techniques, Kuhn minces no words, “This should be showcased as how it should be done.”

So what makes Rattling Creek so special? “While we mountain bikers constantly find ourselves facing new restrictions on trail usage,” continues Kuhn, “the crew at Rattling Creek Single Trackers (RCST, ) has engaged in a cooperative relationship with Pennsylvania’s Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) that has led to more and more miles of trails being built and opened every year since RCST’s inception. Their willingness to go “above-and-beyond”, as evidence by their adherence to the IMBA guidelines and code of ethics and working closely with the foresters to make sustainable and beneficial trails is what has solidified their relationship with DCNR and other outdoor sportsmen -- a local hunting club even made an unsolicited donation to the RCST as a token of appreciation for their great trails! And “IMBA - approved” definitely doesn't mean boring or easy. The trails are stellar, have great flow, and showcase some really creative trail building and obstacles. They will challenge everyone from beginner to pro.”

Pre-registration for the 50 Rattling Miles Marathon is already open on BikeReg.com. A portion of the proceeds benefits the Blue Butterfly Fund (bluebutterflyfund.org) which assists the families of victims of childhood cancer. The race is being billed as an ideal first time marathoner’s course that is sprinkled with trails that will challenge the most experienced and fastest racers. The course is more balanced than the other, more extreme, races on the calendar, the obstacles are entertaining, the views are outstanding and the actual distance is a little shorter than the named 50 miles (“but who’s counting?” says Kuhn) There is also a nice swimming pool where riders can cool-off following the race.

The race takes place in Pennsylvania’s Weiser State Forest. The actual start and finish location on July 28 will be the Small Valley Girl Scout Camp, located just north of Carsonville, Pennsylvania (Mapping address: 88 Hemlock Rd, Halifax, PA 17032). In the event of inclement weather, the race will still be held, but course detours will be made to protect the Rattling Creek trails so they will forever be known as “quite possibly the very best singletrack in Pennsylvania”

For more information, see BikeReg.com.

D

DANSPANK

Norm, are you driving down on Saturday morning or camping overnight? And would you be coming back the same day or staying Saturday too? Probably a bit too far for a one-day thang...

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I forgot about this race, I guess you couldn't do the Killington24 anyway...

Good luck on your race this weekend!

Let me know if it is worth the trip.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks, and will do! Everything I've heard about this suggests it's a good ride. I'll let you know.

Glancing Aft

Although I'll be right in the area I wont be able to make it to the race. I'll be helping a friend paint her new condo... Hope it doesn't rain on you too much.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well it's perfect 24HOA prep weather if nothing else. Maybe perfect, maybe soaked. You just never know.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
You will cramp,it will rain and you will be miserable but before you keel over and die you will see some badass terrain.Wish I could,ve fit this into my schedule.................happy trails

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for your wonderfully endearing level of support Brett. Thanks to modern technology I can sit in this girl scout cabin in the middle-of-nowhere PA and read those words which warm my heart. I will say it is indeed pretty goddamn nice out here. No rain nor cramps just yet. Tally ho, my Fresh Breath of Confidence!!!

ArmyOfNone

:getsome: :getsome: :getsome: :getsome:
Go get em Norm! GOOD LUCK!
:getsome: :getsome: :getsome: :getsome:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another MTBNJ DNF!!! Basically went like this:

0 cramps
1 wrong turn
2 bee stings
3 flats

but only 2 tubes. Game set match to the wonderful Kenda Nevegals, which have given me 4 flat tires in 42 miles of riding. At CP2 threw in the towel when I went to get back on and the front was flat for the third time. Who flats the front? And 3 times within 12 miles? WTF?!?

Disappointed. So it goes. Off to shower and have some serious one-on-one games with Jordan and Pippen. Need to forget about these fucking bikes for a while. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. I'll talk more about the course later or tomorrow or Monday or something.

Top Bottom