6MR Pop-up TM Concrete Bridge: We are back!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Well, quite the morning - I get there to find the water is no longer running over the top of the bridge, which is good,
but it is damn close!

1572369444457.png

(i took the pic through the plastic bag)

The two closest tubes to the boardwalk are the ones doing most of the work, so i start pulling crap out. solid two hours of farting around
produced this - That is about 1/3 of the sticks/leaves. 1/3 got thrown in the woods, and another 1/3 took off downstream as i worked.

1572369580128.png

the far tube is mostly buried with mud - will need to bring a shovel - also, the near tube has that concrete slab.
I was able to move it about two inches. Who has a gas powered hammer?

Decided to take a stroll downstream to check out that clog from Sandy (note it was not a hurricane when it landed in NJ
or the insurance would not have paid for anything)

Well it is still there and holding up about 3' of water.

1572369843267.png

1572369856646.png

all i could think about is @capedoc and strainers, and if i worked upstream of this, i'd be really stupid. so i worked slowly
from the downstream side. very slowly. With good results.

1572369950626.png

i look upstream, and there is now a little damn holding back a foot of water!

1572370023552.png

hit that with the dynamite.

1572370042450.png

walked back up to the bridge along the red trail bypass.

1572370091452.png

Water is down a bit farther. I left that plugged up area by the trees, cause it would need a shovel. I did remove some of the
branches, so nothing else would get caught next big rain.

If we get a drought again like this year, we should go in and clear the downstream area, and dig out the mud and silt
that has built-up on the up-stream side of the bridge.

Pics look like they are correctly georeferenced.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2826330247

Last edited:

ekuhn

Excellent work Pat! Arrange for a Saturday or some more notice next time and I'll give a little assistance.

Once the water level drops, probably in the spring, gotta get @jdog to push some of that mud away with the ditch witch and cut some of the creek floor to open up the invert of those lines.

Dingo

Awesome work there Pat!

Now I see what the bridge is. Had no idea it was those cement pipes. Really a bad idea, because any branch or stick can start the clog when the stream gets running.

Anyone know the story, those pipes involved equipment to lay them there.

Patrick

Staff member
Awesome work there Pat!

Now I see what the bridge is. Had no idea it was those cement pipes. Really a bad idea, because any branch or stick can start the clog when the stream gets running.

Anyone know the story, those pipes involved equipment to lay them there.

Good question. Probably an old farm road. Not a problem with workers to keep them clear!

Because they have clogged, the overflow eroded the ends, we've been extending it. Maybe some day we can use it as a footing for another bridge.

grampaaah2

Thanks! @grampaaah2 has been putting in the time which inspired me. Figured it needed someone in the water.
@Patrick I am super impressed with your work, that must have been a huge effort I wish I could have been there to help. Your work and the others who keep 6mile running really make me want to get out and do more.

In General I am availble to help out TM projects early on weekends or with a day or 2 notice during the week. I am also a moderatly qualified carpenter so if there are any plans for bridges, raised decks, jumps... count me in on the build

serviceguy

Wow @Patrick , great job! The only way to prevent those pipe from clogging would be to put some 'strainers' (for lack of a better word) upstream to prevent branches from getting inside the pipes and clog them, but rather getting stuck upstream where they would be more easily removed. Just an idea.

Patrick

Staff member
Wow @Patrick , great job! The only way to prevent those pipe from clogging would be to put some 'strainers' (for lack of a better word) upstream to prevent branches from getting inside the pipes and clog them, but rather getting stuck upstream where they would be more easily removed. Just an idea.

I have an old iron railing that might cover two of them. wonder how long it would last?
On the other hand, if it needs a serious TM once a year, with a bunch of "quick cleans" so be it.
Not sure i've gotten into the water for a couple years.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions