6MR frozen

B

Baskharion

anyone ride today? if so hows the dirt; muddy, tacky, icey?

I rode yesterday when it was snowing, it was pretty frozen, and u got to watch out with the iced mud puddles!! Overall, it was a gr8 ride!! def. ridable;)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Ice-Ice baby

Trails are covered with 2-3" of solid ice pretty much anywhere the trail is out of direct sunlight. This is most all of the trails.

In exposed south facing spots there was some wet and even muddy spots today.

I rode with my new Nokian Studded tires today and enjoyed the riding very much. Without studded tires you might as well go home.

There were long sections of trail that could quite literally have been ice skated.

I marked and rough cut a new re-route today that will cut out the confusion in the maze where folks are always getting lost. It will add milage and remove a confusing intersection.

If anyone else has studded tires and wants to meet for a ride at some time this week just say the word . I am loving the studded tires and i look forward to any chance to use them.

J_

lmckee

I marked and rough cut a new re-route today that will cut out the confusion in the maze where folks are always getting lost. It will add milage and remove a confusing intersection.

Its funny you said this. The last time I rode 6mile we ran across an old guy walking about a mile from the parking lot on our way out. He didn't say anything to us as we passed by. When we got to the trailhead there was a cop standing there asking us if we had seen the old guy in the woods. We told him that he was no more than a mile out and headed this way. Apparently the old guy went out for a walk and got lost. He panicked thinking that he was going to get caught in the dark and called the police on his cell phone. After he made it out and went on his way the cop told us that they were actually getting ready to send out a search chopper to look for him, hahahaha. God forbid they just send a handful of cops down there to look for him.

Ian F

I rode with my new Nokian Studded tires today and enjoyed the riding very much. Without studded tires you might as well go home.

J_

I rode at Valley Forge on Sat and conditions were between "cruchy" and "glare ice"... studs would have been nice, although most of use made it through ok. There were a couple of slip n' falls, but not as bad as it could have been. The ride was probably twice as long as normal because a lot of time we were crunching through breakable crust, which was a ton of work.

After the ride, a local guy showed up who was also running Nokian 29er studded tires. He agreed they are da sh1t. However, he cautioned DO NOT ride them on the road... even for short periods... he lives only a couple of miles from the trail head and normally rides from his house but has to drive there with the studs. Even doing that short ride once lost him about a dozen studs.

R

roadrocket

Awesome.

Get out before it melts.

Agree with the above. I rode yesterday just before you guys showed up. Still fluffy in some areas... hard to steer and very slow. But I hope after the Halter's train passed by it should all be compacted by now.
I learned something too: pedal fast or you"ll sink!
if you carry good momentum you should be fine, and even in the tight turns try to keep your foot on the gas or you'll stall.
I survived with non-studded tires but they should come handy for sure.
Enjoy!

Sircrashalot

I may be being Captain Obvious here, but I live pretty close to 6MR & my back yard, normally pretty dry, is a swamp. Stay away at this point- the place has got to be a muddy mess & riding it will do major damage. Was fun while it lasted though :D

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I may be being Captain Obvious here, but I live pretty close to 6MR & my back yard, normally pretty dry, is a swamp. Stay away at this point- the place has got to be a muddy mess & riding it will do major damage. Was fun while it lasted though :D

Did all the ice melt? Just wondering.. Maybe it will freeze up and become rideable

Ian F

Did all the ice melt? Just wondering.. Maybe it will freeze up and become rideable

I'll get to see what the red trail head on Canal Rd looks like this afternoon. Was a big sheet of ice last time I drove by.

All of this sun + wind + generally low humidity should help it dry out some... although I heard we may get more rain tomorrow. :(

Wobbegong

I'll get to see what the red trail head on Canal Rd looks like this afternoon. Was a big sheet of ice last time I drove by.

All of this sun + wind + generally low humidity should help it dry out some... although I heard we may get more rain tomorrow. :(

With temps near 50, its going to be a mess in many places for quite a while.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions