650B upgrade

First, it depends on what fork you have. Not all 26er forks will work with 650b. Check this out: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=392220

As far as the frame I dunno'. You can probably find the measurements to check the trance for tire clearance here:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=376656

Worth it? I dunno'. I doubt it...especially if you have to get another fork.

I still have my 5-spot frame (need to sell that thing) and have toyed with the idea of building it up as a 650b or a just a 650b in front. However, I have a Fox fork that works with 650b and 'would have to buy wheels if I ever wanted to build it up again anyway.

Last edited:
stop fighting the enevitable and accept 29inches. :D

MIG, I'm looking for it but either Jdog or Spencer posted a list of 650 "acceptable" frames

650 upgrade on a trancex2. possible? worth it?

gimme your thoughts.

p.s. no talk of buying a 29er, thanks.

WTF! dude, you just bought a new bike and you are looking to upgrade to 650b, the big wheel propoganda has reached yet another soul.....

btw, 650b wheels won't make those logs any easier :p and even if it did work, your rear travel would be limited, hence making the "x' part of your bike useless...

If you have a Fox fork you could throw one on the front only, which would give you that little extra for the bigger stuff. Though it'll slack your head angle out an inch.

What about just running some light high volume tires? That Conti in a 2.4 looked big. I'm running folding Nevagals in 2.5F and 2.35R which are pretty tall/wide.

I also like what Justin mentioned - just a solid front 650b wheel could be an option. A Hope/Stans mix would be great and if you hated it, you'd be able to sell it pretty easily.

I can sell you that big Conti 2.4 with sexy name Rubber Queene... I bought a pair but Rize frame does not have enough clearance for this tire. I payed $45...

I almost pulled the trigger this week on the stan's 650b. With his hub it was like $185. I was going to use it on my carbon hardtail but I was concerned about it raising the standover height as well as changing up the head angle. Not sure yet but I will keep riding the Unit ss 29r and let it all sink in but I have to say that I really liked riding it at MD....If my race season starts to not go well I may consider racing this thing.

Out of curiosity does anyone run nitrogen in their tires like they do in cars?

You know that is funny, I forgot about this but you just made me remember that last year I was wondering what would happen if you put helium in a bike tire....

Back
Top Bottom