6 Mile

ArmyOfNone

so my assessment of the meeting is at six mile there should not be much to worry about. I learned quite a bit about the history of the area which was interesting.

Apparently six mile is not being used for what it was designated for. Many years back it was to be a reservoir site but the plans never followed through. The state took a bunch of land from farmers in the area. Some, most, very elderly are still pissed off about it.

From what was said this plan in reference to six mile is to keep everything the same, officially put the trails from the rt 27 side on the map, and hopefully expand on the near 3,000 acres the park has to offer.

They did talk of a bike path running north and south, but that shouldnt have much of an effect on much (hopefully).

I learned also that us mountain bikers and equestrians seem to enjoy the same types of trails. They all seemed to enjoy the work that has been done at the park. There were also no negative comments directed towards six mile.

From the sounds of it, if we can establish a group or JORBA chapter ideally, i think they may let us do what we want with the place. I think there are some hang ups or they could arise becuase six mile is on state owned property.

They are also looking into the stoning that was layed down and the removal of the logs. They were unaware of anything going on.

This was my first time attending something of this sort. It was a fun eye opening experience. There were some people who were really pissed off about some of the proposed routes. Another good thing was i feel there was a general feeling that unpaved, unstoned, natural trails were the best route to go. I left feeling a bit less concerned, but i could be naive.

Im sure that J can elaborate or clarify some things as well.

Wobbegong

Great to hear that things look good. I wasn't able to go to the meeting, I had to get my wife to her surprise baby shower. I think that forming a chapter would be a great idea. I'm willing to help out any way I can.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
..a start

I was glad that we could go and make a stand for Mt bikers in general.

I was most surprised and delighted to see the equestrians siding with the mt bikers.

One lady said "They like mud and so do we! They jump logs and so do we!"..

The trouble that you can get into here is that these folks don't really have a tight grasp on what mt biking is and what is important to us.

In many cases when a township leaders think of a park, they has a need to put up 6 soccer fields and a huge paved parking lot. Basically as runoff nightmare.

The point that I made and I hope that they heard was that we are interested in keeping this open space as close to it's natural state as possible.

It will be interesting to see how the next steps play out. I hope that we have done our part to put this spot on the Mt biking map.

As Maurice said last week, this is the most underrated spot going. I hope that this gets a few of you out there to check it out.

On the topic of trail access I am curious to see how the IMBA day at South Mt goes. Considering that south mt is closed to mt bikers this should make for and interesting day.:hmmm:

j

ArmyOfNone

Hopefully they will hold to their word. I really do think if we take the initiative to be "responsible" for the park, they would let us keep doing what we have been doing. We could really unleash the parks full potential. We will also have to stay on them about the bridge! That would be so great...

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Hopefully they will hold to their word. I really do think if we take the initiative to be "responsible" for the park, they would let us keep doing what we have been doing. We could really unleash the parks full potential. We will also have to stay on them about the bridge! That would be so great...

Sounds like an outstanding positive experience! You guys have done well.

I've invited several of the members of the TAC to the TCC. If they can go, I am sure they will be impresses with the know how of IMBA and all the trail building sentiments you guys expressed will re-inforced.

Never underestimate the power of working with other trail users, specifically equestrians. I would have to say that no other user group considers mtb'ers as much of an ally as equestrians do... I've personally heard the same statements from them. One thing that has swayed them, besides the fact that we really do seek similar trail experiences (they LOVE singetrack), is the fact that we are so much better these days with trail etiquette, which is vital. Frank's spoken of this and it really impresses them when we stop and dismount.

Anyway, re: 6 Mile... let's keep up the dialog, keep up with future meetings and see how this goes. The focus now is gathering up a core group: at least one person needs be the interface to the TAC and another who might be the trail boss (Jdog volunteered for the latter but we still need a diplomat for the former, as Jdog politely bowed out of the diplomacy type stuff). Contact the TAC and tell them you're going to the IMBA Trail Building school and you'd like to begin stewarding the trails in 6 Mile. Tell them that you are also working with me at JORBA and that you'll be supported fully by JORBA, and that full fledged chapter creation is in the works in parallel.

And keep me in the loop and tell me if you need anything or anyone talked to.

Well done guys, I am really jazzed that you went, and are encouraged, and are steppin up. :D

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions