6 Mile Run Conditions

DownhillR3

Bill may chime in, but apparently this guy buzzed Bill as he was out there running a trimmer. Bill shut off the machine and asked the guy to slow down as he nearly ran into him. The guy threw his bike on the ground and challenged him to a fight. Real Classy...

Wait, what!? What the hell kind of people ride bikes down there? Too close to the Jersey Shore type people it seems, haha.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I was just out this morning. There is a ton of moisture locked up as ice right now. The thaw today is gonna make it a disaster. I came out clean but stopped at a massive puddle (more like minor swamp) right around Blackwell Mills, assuming it wouldn't be any better in the lower spots.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Thinking of going Friday. 6AM or so. Conditions ok or messy?

you gotta get there really early while its still frozen. the minute the sun gets up and starts to warm the surface its gonna be a mess. canal road had generous amounts of ice on it and lots of running water on the sides of the road this morning, so i don't think much has changed since i was out on tuesday morning.

the water just isn't drying up anymore and the ground is finally saturated - thankfully, because we needed the rain.

if the forecast holds it will be a nice solid freeze for the morning. i'll probably be out for a canal side loop.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Dare I say it? It's a wrap for six mile until the ground is completely frozen?

you can get on it in the cold mornings (below freezing). you'll rut it up if it gets sun tho or if the temps creep up. the sun is really what gets it to change quickly. people will try too late and end up in peanut butter halfway through their ride.

the early bird gets the worm right now. at least until it snows or if it gets windy/sunny one day soon.

Slugger

Soooo.....Six Mile is a no-go for awhile? Damn, was hoping to ride there tomorrow. Any hope of it staying solid enough in tomorrow's temps?

alex_k

Soooo.....Six Mile is a no-go for awhile? Damn, was hoping to ride there tomorrow. Any hope of it staying solid enough in tomorrow's temps?
You might have a chance if you start with sunrise and return to parking lot by 9am. After 9am it will be mess.

PS. I'm not sure about current conditions but if there is still standing water then no-go yet

pygmypony

This will be the kind of day where people learn to ride a bike with 40lbs of mud on their tires.

Trail gutting conditions for sure.

freeze/thaw is on.
so jdog, is a 730 start from rte 27 too late? it looks like it might be 24 tomorrow AM...thanks for all your trail work!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
so jdog, is a 730 start from rte 27 too late? it looks like it might be 24 tomorrow AM...thanks for all your trail work!

much has to do with the sun - it can be in the 20s but in spots where the sun is beating on the trail, it turns into slime.
probably safe to ride for an hour+ but watch the warm spots!!! ????

pygmypony

much has to do with the sun - it can be in the 20s but in spots where the sun is beating on the trail, it turns into slime.
probably safe to ride for an hour+ but watch the warm spots!!! ????
execellent thanks...going with my kid we probably will only be out for an hour...thanks again!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Forecast is supposed to be right at or below freezing all day tomorrow. Maybe the ground will stay frozen IDK.
Once the freeze/thaw cycle is in full swing, you pretty much have to be done with your ride soon after the sun gets a good angle on the open field areas. Stick to rocky places or fully shaded trails after late morning when it's cold for nice, hard ground.

pygmypony

conditions were excellent early this AM...we left the rte 27 lot by 730 and rode to south middlebush...were back by around 9 and everything was nice and frozen solid the whole time...except for the concrete bridge which is still almost underwater...thanks to whoever built the tree bridge to cross it!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
conditions were excellent early this AM...we left the rte 27 lot by 730 and rode to south middlebush...were back by around 9 and everything was nice and frozen solid the whole time...except for the concrete bridge which is still almost underwater...thanks to whoever built the tree bridge to cross it!

is water backing up against the bridge and going around it? or is it just too much water to got under it?
(please don't make me go in the water this time of year :()

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions