6 Mile Run Conditions

snashters

I walked white this evening, it was dry where it was high or saw plenty of sun, but in some of the shade or low areas there was mud and snow still. This was probably the worst spot, it was similar on the section of red just before it meets blue.
white mud.jpg

There were no trail closed signs up at the Jaques lot; I stopped by canal lot on the way home & there was a closed sign across the trail entrance there.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
What citation and fine? What is the violation?
Basically, its coming down to that it simply is not legally closed. Not for nothing, but the closure in the winter months is no different than if an unauthorized person went there and put up a closed sign on July 1st and said it was closed for the summer.

I think most of us, at least in this discussion understand why and choose not to go. Its not about threatening people with fines and punishments that aren't going to be legally enforced. Either someone needs to go to the state officials and ask them to properly close it for a few months each year (and hope they don't in turn close ALL state parks to mountain bikers for the same reason) or it has to come down to educating people on why they shouldn't be riding there.

If there are people that want to volunteer their time and do trail maintenance than thats fantastic, but they are doing it knowing that the trails are probably going to be in $*&!@ condition because people ride there when the ground is soft. Maybe the signs and FB postings should be saying WHY its "closed" or suggested not to ride and offer a link to sign up and volunteer for maintenance and/or donations to help fund the maintenance. (I have no idea if its even appropriate to accept donations to fix up state property).

I do think the majority have been avoiding it, I've followed the posts on FB and do see people saying its closed, so its just trying to limit or educate the few that still choose to go, and if any of them change their mind about going, or offer up help, you're already ahead of where you are now.
You are right.
Let’s make this something better

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I know someone here rode at 6mr yesterday. What’s the conditions like. Send me a dm if you like.

DCL

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the updates! Ended up at Core Creek on Sat. (which is open and about 90% dry) in case 6MR was still a mess, but looking forward to getting back to 6MR.
And just renewed my JORBA membership 👍

BigJ

Went for a walk there this morning. Started at Middlebush road and walked east on the red trail for about 20 minutes.

I'm not a member of Jorba and have not volunteered time maintaining the trails, so I'll refrain on making any judgments about the trail's condition. I figure those who put in the effort to maintain the trail should be the ones to decide publicly whether it is open for biking.

But objectively, this is what the vast majority of the trail looks like below.

IMG_1984.JPG

Every 100 feet or so, there would be a little soft patch or puddle like this:
IMG_1985.JPG

or this:
IMG_1990.JPG

A few features have small mud patches and tire treads around them as well like this:
IMG_1991.JPG

and this:
IMG_1998.JPG

But the vast majority of the trail shows very little mud that leaves tire tracks or footprints (and I checked behind me to see).
IMG_1995.JPG

It is supposed to rain tomorrow and the day after (Wednesday-Thursday), so we will see when the weekend rolls around.

BigJ

Friday early afternoon update. Blue Trail west end conditions following Wednesday's and Thursday's rain:

I only walked in a couple of hundred feet or so since I was just passing by.

IMG_2002.JPG

The trail did not seem to leave feet tracks behind me.

IMG_2003.JPG

But within the first couple hundred feet, I came across this mud patch where minor tire tracks could be seen. This suggests the trail likely currently has sporadic mud as of this writing, likely farther into the shaded forest. I did not see any standing water on the trail.

IMG_2004.JPG

I've definitely seen 6MR in muddier shape. It should be even more improved by tomorrow.

Once again, no judgments on my end as to whether riders should come this weekend - I'll defer to JORBA and others who maintain the trails.

hls811

What's the verdict?
I'd say it's an open season.. Although I've asked the park to say the word OPEN, but I've not heard back. J

This is like when they go to commercial break before announcing the winner of American Idol or the reveal of the new house on anything on HGTV.. the anticipation... 😰😰😰😰😰

It looks and sounds like its ready, but still waiting on some sort of official word so I don't feel guilty going today or tomorrow.

Piston Honda

This is like when they go to commercial break before announcing the winner of American Idol or the reveal of the new house on anything on HGTV.. the anticipation... 😰😰😰😰😰

It looks and sounds like its ready, but still waiting on some sort of official word so I don't feel guilty going today or tomorrow.
If it means anything, the TOO MUDDY sign wasn't there when I rolled through last Wednesday.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions