6 Mile Run Conditions

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Holy CCCCRRRAP was that this AM? I rode Fri, Sat and Sunday and I cannot recall it being that bad before a bridge! The only spot I thought was approaching that degree was the Orange trail the spot Madison Dave pointed out. Where is that bridge? Part of the NICA course?
It’s not as bad as it looks. Ran the machine yesterday and installed a culvert. It will dry out now that the water flows under the trail tread.

the next two days of rain aren’t gonna help much.

Doing my best to isolate the remaining wet spots to minimize the beating the trails are about to take over the winter.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
has the freeze/thaw thing started? was considering tomorrow afternoon.

JonF

At exactly where the turnaround is on this ride is nasty off-camber turn with a loose edge and a drop off into the exposed hillside. The approach is a small downhill chute into the blind off-camber right with some bushy scrub on the inside that pushes you wide and when you wash out, its a nasty low-side fall onto the hard, rooty ground ahead (found out the hard way). Some mild reshaping of this one would make it a lot safer and be in-line with the general condition of the rest of the trails.

offcamber.jpg

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Just about to ask the same question.

At exactly where the turnaround is on this ride is nasty off-camber turn with a loose edge and a drop off into the exposed hillside. The approach is a small downhill chute into the blind off-camber right with some bushy scrub on the inside that pushes you wide and when you wash out, its a nasty low-side fall onto the hard, rooty ground ahead (found out the hard way). Some mild reshaping of this one would make it a lot safer and be in-line with the general condition of the rest of the trails.

View attachment 143665
Before the rainbow bridge??

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan

View attachment 143665
Glad you weren't hurt. How were the trails though?

JonF

Before the rainbow bridge??
Don't know, had to turn around and limp back to the lot so i didn't get to see what was ahead.

I think this YT vid shows the location on Red at this timestamp. DH into right then back up a short rooty climb. You want to run a little wide so you can clip that late apex and not hit the tree but the kitty litter at the edge gets ya!

THATmanMANNY

probably a reach but anyone coming from Denville to rid 6MR this weekend? i have something I need to get to @seanrunnette (LEAF shelf)

I can't seem to find one thread I created about "runners" and helping out each other to pick up items

NJ Gator

Yeah I figured today would be rough- the AM was just around freezing so the sun was gonna make it real soft- tonight predictions are warmer so fingers crossed tomorrow not so bad. Sunday looks cloudy so that may help too. Regardless it is gonna start getting messy till it gets super cold. Hopefully it won't get trashed tomorrow.

fuego154

I posted on MTBNJ and all I got was this stupid ni
I rode today and I wouldn’t ride it again this season unless the ground was frozen. Overall I had a great ride but it’s getting pretty muddy in quite a few spots. Gonna have to ride elsewhere.

gpTron

Don't know, had to turn around and limp back to the lot so i didn't get to see what was ahead.

I think this YT vid shows the location on Red at this timestamp. DH into right then back up a short rooty climb. You want to run a little wide so you can clip that late apex and not hit the tree but the kitty litter at the edge gets ya!

Yeah that corner at 1:41, back in July I hit a slippery root and went shoulder first right into that tree on the right. Fun times...

Ronnie B

I think I grabbed the tree that sticks into the trail on the left to avoid doing that, lol.
View attachment 143935
Damn, that reminds me when my brakes failed me going down a hill with a sharp curve on the Orange Trail, my only option was to try a controlled crash into what I thought was a nice bush, but the bush was concealing a log underneath with I hit head on that sent we flying 8-10 feet over my handle bars and into a thorn bush. Good times. :D

spadela86

Lots of rain lately but mornings this week look nice and frozen (26F near sunrise).
What do we think? Anyone make it out there this morning? Am thinking about tomorrow/Tuesday.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions