6 Mile Run Conditions

well, i arrived to this.
IMG_6204.jpg

Put out my cones, and assessed the situation. Quick clearing of the small branches so I can see what I'm dealing with.

IMG_6205.jpg

That stub underneath was about 8" and forked just into the grass. There was a decent amount of pressure on it, but it was predictable. The main trunk was floating about 5' up. People are stopping while I'm working, and I quickly let them through. Lots of thank-yous so that was nice. Some would ride under, some walked.

On the left side of the pic, the downed tree is leaning on another tree - not the ground. On the right, it had broken off the rest of the tree ( split trunk,) which was somewhat elevated. When released, this was going to drop, and possibly roll. If it rolls, it was going to come towards the camera.

So I start the cut - and stop just before the final release - the saw hasn't even wound down. A person comes blazing through from behind me, no warning, under the tree. I got a little freaked.

I looked around then go to finish the cut - about 2 seconds in, the whole thing comes straight down. Really close to a Darwin Award winner there.

IMG_6206.jpg

I cut the opposite side, and had the log loose - perfect timing, someone stopped and offered to help move it out of the way!
Thank you! (he was strong - i was going to have to cut the log again to move it.)

IMG_6207.jpg

Wasn't too bad. 40 minutes including walking in and back out.
The log should be moved farther off the trail, because it is going to trap water. maybe it will flood and move itself.

Last edited:
well, i arrived to this.
View attachment 134706

Put out my cones, and assessed the situation. Quick clearing of the small branches so I can see what I'm dealing with.

View attachment 134705

That stub underneath was about 8" and forked just into the grass. There was a decent amount of pressure on it, but it was predictable. The main trunk was floating about 5' up. People are stopping while I'm working, and I quickly let them through. Lots of thank-yous so that was nice. Some would ride under, some walked.

On the left side of the pic, the downed tree is leaning on another tree - not the ground. On the right, it had broken off the rest of the tree ( split trunk,) which was somewhat elevated. When released, this was going to drop, and possibly roll. If it rolls, it was going to come towards the camera.

So I start the cut - and stop just before the final release - the saw hasn't even wound down. A person comes blazing through from behind me, no warning, under the tree. I got a little freaked.

I looked around then go to finish the cut - about 2 seconds in, the whole thing comes straight down. Really close to a Darwin Award winner there.

View attachment 134704

I cut the opposite side, and had the log loose - perfect timing, someone stopped and offered to help move it out of the way!
Thank you! (he was strong - i was going to have to cut the log again to move it.)

View attachment 134703

Wasn't too bad. 40 minutes including walking in and back out.
The log should be moved farther off the trail, because it is going to trap water. maybe it will flood and move itself.

you are a monster. You know I would have just cut the branches off and rerouted..

Weekday mornings this week are going to be great. Conditions are perfect will approach dustbowl fast. 6am was 73 degrees. Left canal lot at 7:45 only 3 cars there. Early is the time to hit it.

What does this mean?

Tree sorta down on red between the concrete bridge and that "grade reversal" headed towards the red/orange split. Hand saw would work but I didn't have mine with me today or I would've just cleared it. I'll throw it in my pocket it next time. Also big mud pit on red on the section that runs parallel to orange. Other than that, totally cherry!
20200728_093252.jpg

Last edited:
Did Red => Blue out & back this morning around 7a. Conditions were mostly very good, except for the colossal mud pit on Red between Middlebush and 27 (has been previously called out).

That being said, with the rain tonight and the forecast for the rest of the week, it probably looks like a no-go for a while.

I did see this downed tree on Blue which needs to get cleared up. GPS coordinates: https://goo.gl/maps/wmjyUL9qb4kzMp3G9

IMG_6751.jpg

Did a "recovery" ride today. Cleaned up along the way but I skipped white because I was tired so if there's anything there, post it up.
20200803_094913.jpg
20200803_101609.jpg

This is the one I posted earlier, it was a widowmaker hanging from some vines. I cut away the vines around where it was on the ground and was able to drop it out without too much trouble. I cleared the overhead stuff the best I could with the saw but it needs som pruners to finish it off.
20200728_093252.jpg
20200803_105732.jpg

This one is on red heading back from 27 before the red/orange split, it's getting lower but it's too much for one person. 2 or 3 could push it off where it's hung up and move it off the trail without any cutting.
20200803_113235.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions