6 Mile Run Conditions

Blackwells/Canal and Causeway/Canal are open as of yesterday. Water going down, just slowly.

Heat wave this week should definitely help with dry out. Thinking tomorrow/weekend should be good.

Just got back from route mentioned above and conditions are surprisingly really solid. No real mud to speak of, and corners weren't greasy. Tree down on Orange that could probably be taken out with a silky, and a large tree down on lower Red that probably needs a chainsaw. Someone buttered up the entrance to the concrete bridge on the 27 side so now no longer any endo danger (haven't ridden 6MR in a while so this may have been done some time ago). If you can get out this afternoon/early evening definitely rip it up. Imagine will be crowded tomorrow.

Failed attempt at fallen 🌲 tree removal.

Attachments

• EF129BB3-B41F-4386-8E9F-0227FC156C32.jpeg
    EF129BB3-B41F-4386-8E9F-0227FC156C32.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 955E356B-E361-460B-A1FE-9EDEA724F546.jpeg
    955E356B-E361-460B-A1FE-9EDEA724F546.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 133
So @jdog's chainsaw failure was a result of good karma!
Jay is a bit more of an aggressive sawyer than I, and i'm sure he would have gone bigger right away.
I'm a more overthink-it, then some more, then move slowly.

So while i'm moving slowly, my side starts to burn, and the back of my hand, and my elbow....
Glad i got a few days of exercise in over the last couple weeks, cause i took off, fast! Bees nest in the end of the
trunk - at least 1 nest there - might be more. The asshole bees too.

Screenshot 2021-08-30 15.18.21.png

This isn't too bad to take out - it is big, but manageable. Anybody have time to get out there at dusk and soak that sucker?

Towards S. Middlebush, here was a leaner across the trail, and something fell which left a set of grape vines to be cleared.
Those are gone. I also cut out the two leaning cedars on the switchback climb heading back to the concrete bridge.

Speaking of concrete bridge - couldn't hurt to take a swim.
Two "larger" logs were holding up most of the small stuff.
Was thinking about making a facebook group called "I helped clear the tubes at 6MR" to encourage people to help,
but too much urban dictionary going on there.

1630351821037.png

1630351837170.png

Headed back to the canal side to clean up the red trail from the blue split to the bridges. Couple hangers were bothering me,
so they are better. Can hit the grade reversal without hitting my head.

Are they bees or yellowjackets? If they are bees, can we call someone in to relocate them versus killing them? I have someone here in town that would happily help move them.

If they are assholes that are only designed to sting, I am all for killing.

Are they bees or yellowjackets? If they are bees, can we call someone in to relocate them versus killing them? I have someone here in town that would happily help move them.

If they are assholes that are only designed to sting, I am all for killing.

fairly sure they are
asshole bees - the kind that can sting multiple times.
beus assholeus.

they were not honey bees - could be wasps, do they like to live in trees?

fairly sure they are
asshole bees - the kind that can sting multiple times.
beus assholeus.

they were not honey bees - could be wasps, do they like to live in trees?
I’m far from an expert. I’ve been stung many times this summer. Last reaction was bad.

Maybe I can tempt the bee removal dude to check it out. He usually wants a guaranteed bee hive.

I’m far from an expert. I’ve been stung many times this summer. Last reaction was bad.

Maybe I can tempt the bee removal dude to check it out. He usually wants a guaranteed bee hive.

no "hive" to remove tho. it is either inside the tree or in the ground around it.

There is also a little bit of hidden single track that we built for the race but wasn’t used. It will be in next year’s race though.

Pat marked it on trail forks I think.
J

@Dusty the Whale

Coming out of Red Velvet onto Red (north end) turn right, and look for the single track going into the woods maybe 200' to the entrance.
The bridal path/fire cut are past the entrance. It is on TF now - you can see it on the racetrack loop posted above.

In general, people should be riding this to help burn it in. I rode it yesterday, and the trailbed is set, but very narrow because of the weeds

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions