6-mile on a borrowed SS 29r

kush

So jdog (halters' cycle) lets me demo his OWN bike yesterday because I asked him about possibly building a 29r

man what a leap of faith.

I took it to 6-mile last night around 7:30pm, do the full loop, with lights its pretty amazing, just you, the bike, the trail, and some strange furry animals scurrying around.

Impressions:

- the bike i have now is just WRONG. Its stupid, and I'm going to throw it off the cliff.

- 29 inch bikes are like cheating, they do everything. Kind of like a veg-a-matic

- an SS bike is built for 6mile and vice-versa. Not convinced I'm there yet because i like long steep hilly climbs and also road, may need to think of SS as a 3rd bike. but SS for sure does force you into better habits.

- still more comfortable on the narrows on my 26r, as haven't gotten the balance yet on the higher 29r

- this bike has superhuman powers. i think i did fall into some kind of waterway at one point, but the bike literally picked me up and put me back in the saddle. i think it likes me.

- jason's bike is like a scalpel. just think about leaning and it does. oversteering major issue for the unfamiliar.

thanks jdog.

ps, if you think you are getting your bike back, you're mistaken. hope that's ok :D

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
ouchie

I was out last night and had the worst crash I have had mt biking in years. This would put even Fred to shame.

I got a huge stick caught in my rear rotor just before the cement bridge. I was launched off my bike and landed on the broken cement chunks face first.

It wasn't fun. I wasn't sure if I was getting up.

I just did an hour on the road and I seem Ok. I am very bruised and sore all over.

Ben was following me with his helmet cam but the batteries died just before my horrific crash.

So much for magical powers of the 29er I would guess?

Wobbegong

I was out last night and had the worst crash I have had mt biking in years. This would put even Fred to shame. I was launched off my bike and landed on the broken cement chunks face first.

Ouch.... Of all the places to go down.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
ouch! sorry to here about that crash, makes my crash a few weeks ago at six mile seem not so bad. Feel better!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I was out last night and had the worst crash I have had mt biking in years. This would put even Fred to shame.

I got a huge stick caught in my rear rotor just before the cement bridge. I was launched off my bike and landed on the broken cement chunks face first.

I just did an hour on the road and I seem Ok. I am very bruised and sore all over.

Ben was following me with his helmet cam but the batteries died just before my horrific crash.

First Jim, now you. You guys gotta cut this shit out, OK?

J-Dro

I was just commenting to some riding buds the other day that 6MR has a reputation for having easy trails and being beginner friendly, but it seems to claim an awful high number of crash victims. Maybe its because of the speed factor? I dunno, but get well soon J!!

BiknBen

Yeah it was pretty bad. A tree had fallen parallel to the trail and some branches were hanging in JDog's path but pointed towards us. A branch snagged the rear rotor and maybe the crank and the bike just came to a complete stop. Jdog was like a crash test dummy without a seat belt.

:worthless

I did have my helmet cam but the batteries ran out a few minutes before this. When Flecknoe rolled up and surveyed the damage he looked and motioned to me wondering if I had gotten the shot. He was as disappointed as I was. Oh well. I was up till 1am downloading the vid and checking things out. I managed to get some useful stuff but it's gonna take me a while to coordinate.

BiknBen

...6MR has a reputation for having easy trails and being beginner friendly, but it seems to claim an awful high number of crash victims. Maybe its because of the speed factor? I dunno, but get well soon J!!

It is a speed thing. The trails are narrow and flowy with few obstacles to slow you down. When something goes wrong, the speed can make the outcome much worse.

Jdog was probably going 12-14mph when he was ejected.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
not to mention the trails are like freaking concrete (no pun intended to the location of JDogs crash). I smacked my head on one of those branches of that same tree the same ride when I pulled my OTB to face plant a few weeks back.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
J that sounds like a real bad hit - its like you got hit by a car on the road, except the road you fell on is a bunch of concrete chunks...

i have two solid OTB experiences at 6 mile, (both on my niner - a have a few others, but 2 really stick out). the last OTB experience (about a month and a half ago or so) i ended up with the worst case of poison ivy i have had in years. i clipped a tree in a twisty part going too fast, which made me hit another tree, which stopped me dead, sending me right over. it was one of those slow motion i saw it happening, but then was on my head/neck/arm/back with no wind in my lungs before i knew it. i crushed a ton of poison ivy plants on my landing, even broke a few plants open and everything. i may as well have been wearing a bathrobe made out of PI leaves by the time i was done getting up.

i have read about the 29er having more of a 'catapult' action to it, adding more force to your OTB fun, due to the larger wheel... don't know if its true, but i have had a couple good rippers since i have had the bike.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i have read about the 29er having more of a 'catapult' action to it, adding more force to your OTB fun, due to the larger wheel... don't know if its true, but i have had a couple good rippers since i have had the bike.

that would make sense, longer lever from the fulcrum (the axle), one more reason to stay with the 6ers:)

kush

Sorry about your pain. I still believe in magic. Its all about statistics. thanks again though for the experience. (that '09 1 is looking good.)
ilya

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
:worthless

I did have my helmet cam but the batteries ran out a few minutes before this. When Flecknoe rolled up and surveyed the damage he looked and motioned to me wondering if I had gotten the shot. He was as disappointed as I was. Oh well. I was up till 1am downloading the vid and checking things out. I managed to get some useful stuff but it's gonna take me a while to coordinate.

Well?? Where is the vid??

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions