6 Hours of Cathedral Pines

So in between getting her blood worked up talking about PTO and her job, I slipped in the November 19th date... Oh, it was such a sweet move:D... She gave me the "whatever" and continued on talking about the miserable position she assumed as PTO VP

Glad to hear you survived your birthday.. Happy Birthday again and I hope to see you at TM Sunday. I'm gonna try and meet Chris for a 7am loop before it starts, feel free to join in...

I'm in.

Any advice for a slowpoke enduro newbie on how to pace to get the max number laps in? Is there any strategy to try and understand when the leader would likely be entering his final lap and try and make sure to not just fall short of getting one more lap in? or is the assumption that the will to live will be fading by then and falling short of that extra lap would be a good thing?

- W

This depends on you. If you are a strategist, then you can probably work it out, but it's probably not going to happen the first time out. First time in an enduro, just race your own race and figure out what you've got as you go (hold a little back early on and then, like Iggy says, put it down as you get near the end.) You'll figure out your won style. Good thing about CP is that it's a course where you can learn stuff like that without paying too big a price -- the course is fast and flat, so even if you blow up, it won't kill you to finsih that lap.

Personally, my enduro style on lap races is pretty primitive. I set a rule for myself before every race: I am racing until they tell me to stop. If I pass the start/finish at 5:59:59, I'm out on another lap. I don't care if my legs are falling off. It's a rule I set for myself a long while ago to simplify everything - I don't even have to think about it. That doesn't say much about how I ride during the race itself, but that usually depends on the course and how I'm feeling that day. But I always know -- unless my lap ends after the time limit, I'm back out there for another lap. It's not necessarily an ideal approach, but it's put me on podiums more than once in the past when I really had no business being there.

I did this last year and loved it. signed up again.

my advice:

* pace yourself. if this your first enduro fight the urge to go faster in the first few laps. find a nice comfortable groove and settle in. set your own pace and dont worry if people pass you - maybe you'll get them later on anyway ;)

* hydrate, eat, etc - get those electrolytes, etc. etc.. and make sure to do it early in the race since your body will need it later.

I say, at the start let everyone go. I was kinda laughing at the start last year with the sprint thinking 'Why's everyone in such a hurry, you got 60+ miles to go?"

I had my best race there last year (in fact the only race in a very long time where I had a goal and met it). this year my goal: same pace as last year but one more lap. simple.

They say 10 miles. My garmin was getting around 9. But it was a 500 and there is a lot of twisties so maybe 10 :p

How long is the loop?

each lap was right about 10. there was a prologue made the first lap a bit longer.

very, very easy course. think Allaire but less hilly ;)

from what I remember 3 small hills right after each other at the beginning of each lap (they were very short but a little steep...later laps I ran up a few of them just to save my legs) and then I recall one longer, but less steep switchback hill. other than that, from what I recall, flat.

so its certainly not the course that will kill you. just the fact your racing for 6+ hours.

Last edited:
What mark said. Winners got 8 laps. All I remember is spicy chilli, traffic, good time, wrists hurt, capers stayed at my house the whole weekend, pine needles, car is your pit and good times. Not sure why I'm holding out...I think I have 7laps in my gut

What mark said. Winners got 8 laps. All I remember is spicy chilli, traffic, good time, wrists hurt, capers stayed at my house the whole weekend, pine needles, car is your pit and good times. Not sure why I'm holding out...I think I have 7laps in my gut

Sign up already. We can have a chain gang with you, Dave, Chris, Spencer and myself. (And anybody else I might have left out).

Back
Top Bottom