5/25-27/07: US Open of Mountain Biking

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
It's cool that they're having a downhill race of this apparent magnitude on local turf, but boy do I fondly remember the days of XC racing at Mt. Creek.

The last event I recall doing there was a Bulldog-promoted race in the rain, I think in 2000 (maybe 2001)? Great stuff.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
ever ridden one of those bikes joe? they have to make it that big/technical in order to feel the course... definitely one area of mtb'ing where the level of the sport is pushed to the limits by both rider and technology.

ChrisG

ever ridden one of those bikes joe? they have to make it that big/technical in order to feel the course... definitely one area of mtb'ing where the level of the sport is pushed to the limits by both rider and technology.
This is something that really catches my attention. The "biggest" bike I've ever ridden for any real ride is a 4" XC bike. So I have no idea what it would be like to even hit stuff on a 6" all-mountain bike, never mind a full-on downhill bike. It's intriguing, to say the least.

In the meantime, I'll keep putting around on my rigid steel SS.:D

ArmyOfNone

i really want to get up there one time this year. I would love to actually experience what i gawk at on tv. I sure hope i dont kill myself doing it tho.

Nothing wrong with putting around on a SS chris!

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i really want to get up there one time this year. I would love to actually experience what i gawk at on tv. I sure hope i dont kill myself doing it tho.

Nothing wrong with putting around on a SS chris!

yeah, my wife keeps asking me why i don't go there. i keep telling her that she really doesn't mean that b/c the answer is VERY expensive.

Frank

Sasquatch
This is something that really catches my attention. The "biggest" bike I've ever ridden for any real ride is a 4" XC bike. So I have no idea what it would be like to even hit stuff on a 6" all-mountain bike, never mind a full-on downhill bike. It's intriguing, to say the least.

In the meantime, I'll keep putting around on my rigid steel SS.:D

Hey Chris,
You can try either of the Iron Horses I have. 6" or 8".

ChrisG

Hey Chris,
You can try either of the Iron Horses I have. 6" or 8".
Wow, thanks, that could open up all kinds of wacky possibilities. Maybe one evening when we get further into the season.

Is the 8" a two stroke or a thumper?:D

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Be careful. Over the course of last year, a number of our guys went from hardtail and short-travel XC riders to riding and owning DH rigs as well. Exposure to DH can be addicting.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Diablo 07

I'll go up with a group if yall want to try it out this year.Most everyone there is a friend of mine and I could lead yall across the mtn from easy to harder stuff.It can suck fast if you get in over your head.As for big bikes,if you're good they'll make you better, if you suck you'll suck more..................

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll go up with a group if yall want to try it out this year.Most everyone there is a friend of mine and I could lead yall across the mtn from easy to harder stuff.It can suck fast if you get in over your head.As for big bikes,if you're good they'll make you better, if you suck you'll suck more..................

that's a great idea. i really do want to try the full DH experience. key word: TRY. i'm not even coming close to buying one of those things. for that kinda cash i could completely redo my jeep.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Ahhh, back in the day..

..they used to send small groups out w/ me to show them where to get started.I'd then let'm go and take out another group.I'd end up doing two 9 hr days every wknd.My DH bikes all probably had 4000 miles on em. It was ridiculous but i met ALOT of people(hence my superior interpersonal skills).We'll see how it goes for this summer.We could pre-rent the fleet for the wknd.............

T

Timekiller

Be careful. Over the course of last year, a number of our guys went from hardtail and short-travel XC riders to riding and owning DH rigs as well. Exposure to DH can be addicting.

I know what you mean... I wound up ordering an '07 bullit, and a season pass.

And a friend of mine bought one of the Diablo rentals in october.

Its extremely addicting.

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Cant wait for creek to open:D, Chris i have a friend with a V-10 you can use, and i have extra downhill gear for you my brother anytime you want to go bro.......Two Giant Testacles....

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
that's a great idea. i really do want to try the full DH experience. key word: TRY. i'm not even coming close to buying one of those things. for that kinda cash i could completely redo my jeep.

Let me know when you want to go.

Top Bottom