$400 to spend, what mtn bike to buy??

djm

I know its not much at all but for now it'll have to do. I'd consider any rigid or hardtail from craigslist ebay dicks or costco. I'm not quite a beginner but not advanced either. I ride in Allaire park. What's the best bang for my buck? Bikes/brands to avoid? Thanks in advance!

djm

I guess I would describe myself as a beginner then.

I've seen some 6-8 year old bikes on my local craigslist for that price but I know nothing of the bike. If they are that much and that old I figured they must be decent.

Wobbegong

400 bucks will get you a beginner level bike from Halters. Hit up J's sale on Friday like others have said.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
take your $400, sock away $50 a week, and spend $800 on a bike eight weeks later and find yourself much happier riding.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
stop by the montclair bikery, theyve got an 07 gary fisher piranha for sale, you will have change left

MTBTyler

I havent own any other bikes but I ride my friends gt hard tail, i think it was $350 it has 24sp rst shocks, and disk brakes. nice and very strong! also he has a gary fisher for about $400 with 24sp rox beginner shock and an older style brake. V brake I think its really old and a little to small for me but still its ok.

MST.ESQ

...also he has a gary fisher for about $400 with 24sp rox beginner shock and an older style brake. V brake I think its really old and a little to small for me but still its ok.

I had the same budget and went with a similar setup when I started. I bought a Trek 4500 with v-brakes (now sells for over $650:scared:) Make sure the frame, front fork and wheels are disc brake compatable - then buy some Avid BB-7 brakes when you have another $100. Brakes are very important and the lowest end mechanical disc brakes that come on starter bikes are just not worth the downgrade in other components.

I still ride this setup today, ran a few H2H races this year and can keep up with others on group rides...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
point me in the direction of a mary ss for 400 please... ;)

or even if its a little more, then i can sell my bike to the OP for 400 :)

Last edited:

djm

I checked around a bit for some decent used hardtail bikes and this is what I found.

1995 cannondale f700 front susp w/lockout no disc brakes $350
TREK 4500 unsure of the year disk brake compatible $200
2008 specialized rockhopper disk $550

So far I'm leaning towards the cannondale. I've read great things about it. It was the most expensive when new at $1400. The specialized is too much cash at this point, but is it really much better then the others? The trek seems like a good price but I never rode one and hear mixed reviews.

Whaddya' think?

warcricket

Like a Jerk
then buy some Avid BB-7 brakes when you have another $100. Brakes are very important and the lowest end mechanical disc brakes that come on starter bikes are just not worth the downgrade in other components.

Why get better brakes? They just make you go slower...

Top Bottom