4 days…

xc62701

I have 4 days of freedom coming up. First weekend of November is teacher convention so I’ve got a free weekend. I’ll be dropping the kids off at the in-laws Wednesday night and have to pick them up Sunday night. Then I’m free. I have two leading ideas: head south and ride Harrisonburg/Massanutten VA or head west to State College and ride Rothrock/Poe Valley State parks. I would piece together parts of the SM100/Stoopid 50 and Massanutten or ride parts of the Wilderness and TS Epic if I went the other way. Decisions decisions. Maybe something else is out there I should be riding as well??? Thoughts?

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I just got back from Harrisonburg, no complaints about the area. But I’d still prefer a rothrock and raystown trip. Next time I get a free weekend my goal is to hit up big bear lake wv.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I have 4 days of freedom coming up. First weekend of November is teacher convention so I’ve got a free weekend. I’ll be dropping the kids off at the in-laws Wednesday night and have to pick them up Sunday night. Then I’m free. I have two leading ideas: head south and ride Harrisonburg/Massanutten VA or head west to State College and ride Rothrock/Poe Valley State parks. I would piece together parts of the SM100/Stoopid 50 and Massanutten or ride parts of the Wilderness and TS Epic if I went the other way. Decisions decisions. Maybe something else is out there I should be riding as well??? Thoughts?
Gambrill state park Frederick, md. Bring garvel bike too.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Less techy than what you mentioned, but why not throw some bags on your bike and ride the GAP? Regardless of which way you go - DC to Pitt or Pitt to DC, you can catch the Amtrak with roll-on service to get back. I did this ride back in '17 in basically 48 hours - started Sunday afternoon and finished on Tuesday afternoon - so it's more than doable in four days. And I'd actually recommend taking more time than I did because there are some pretty cool towns you can stop in along the way (Harper's Ferry, Cumberland, Ohiopyle just to name a few.) I'd check to make sure camping is available that late in the year, but even if there isn't, there are plenty of places to stay along the way - just have a daily mileage plan if that's what you're going to do: some of the more remote towns (e.g., Confluence) have accomodations but the towns themselves tend to close down after dark and it becomes tougher to get food, etc. (Learned that one the hard way after day 2.) Knowing where you plan to stop ahead of time removes that problem. Anyway, it's not a technical ride by any stretch, but it is long, remote in spots, and really beautiful (especially the actual Allegheny section in PA.) Some logistics: I parked my car in DC at Reagan Int'l and I'd strongly recommend doing this if you start in DC. Where I parked, I was basically right on the Mount Vernon Trail that goes from Alexandria into Georgetown, right where the C&O starts. I didn't plan that, it just worked out nicely and you can use the monuments to easily get back to it from the train station when you get back to DC - you can basically see the Mount Vernon Trail from the Washington Monument facing away from the Grand Mall. And on the other end, in Pittsburgh, the trail ends at the same fountain that serves as the Pittsburgh terminus for the CtC ride every April, so it's convenient to multiple hotels right in the downtown area - I stayed in one that was a stone's throw from the train station. The train leaves kind of early - I think you board at 5:30 am (at least you did in '17) so it was very handy to be that close. And after riding 350 miles, cruising back along the same route on a train is a nice, relaxing way to experience the scenery a different way. Honestly, I've done vacation bike trips all over the country at this point and I have to say this one is probably one of my most memorable.

xc62701

Roanoke, VA. Pandapas Pond, Carvins Cove, Mill Mountain.
I've ridden Carvins a few years ago. While good it's a bit small. Is the other stuff worth it? I'd find it hard to pass by Harrisonburg and the adjacent goodness there especially to ride another hour plus past there.

xc62701

I just got back from Harrisonburg, no complaints about the area. But I’d still prefer a rothrock and raystown trip. Next time I get a free weekend my goal is to hit up big bear lake wv.

I didn't realize that Raystown was that close. I'm kinda thinking a Raystown/Rothrock/Ratting trip would be absolutely amazing and I would be destroyed after coming back from that.

krink

Eddie Munster
I you're thinking Big Bear lake WV, then Coopers Rock SP in Morganville WV, Ohiopyle PA and Forbes Forest outside of Uniontown PA are great options for additional rides for the Big Bear weekend.

xc62701

Less techy than what you mentioned, but why not throw some bags on your bike and ride the GAP? Regardless of which way you go - DC to Pitt or Pitt to DC, you can catch the Amtrak with roll-on service to get back. I did this ride back in '17 in basically 48 hours - started Sunday afternoon and finished on Tuesday afternoon - so it's more than doable in four days. And I'd actually recommend taking more time than I did because there are some pretty cool towns you can stop in along the way (Harper's Ferry, Cumberland, Ohiopyle just to name a few.) I'd check to make sure camping is available that late in the year, but even if there isn't, there are plenty of places to stay along the way - just have a daily mileage plan if that's what you're going to do: some of the more remote towns (e.g., Confluence) have accomodations but the towns themselves tend to close down after dark and it becomes tougher to get food, etc. (Learned that one the hard way after day 2.) Knowing where you plan to stop ahead of time removes that problem. Anyway, it's not a technical ride by any stretch, but it is long, remote in spots, and really beautiful (especially the actual Allegheny section in PA.) Some logistics: I parked my car in DC at Reagan Int'l and I'd strongly recommend doing this if you start in DC. Where I parked, I was basically right on the Mount Vernon Trail that goes from Alexandria into Georgetown, right where the C&O starts. I didn't plan that, it just worked out nicely and you can use the monuments to easily get back to it from the train station when you get back to DC - you can basically see the Mount Vernon Trail from the Washington Monument facing away from the Grand Mall. And on the other end, in Pittsburgh, the trail ends at the same fountain that serves as the Pittsburgh terminus for the CtC ride every April, so it's convenient to multiple hotels right in the downtown area - I stayed in one that was a stone's throw from the train station. The train leaves kind of early - I think you board at 5:30 am (at least you did in '17) so it was very handy to be that close. And after riding 350 miles, cruising back along the same route on a train is a nice, relaxing way to experience the scenery a different way. Honestly, I've done vacation bike trips all over the country at this point and I have to say this one is probably one of my most memorable.

I have this on my radar for an attempt at some point for sure. At this point though, I'm looking for a place that has awesome trails to ride all day, part of a day or maybe get two rides in, and then crash at a hotel and enjoy the town for some food. I'll most likely be flying solo, so hanging in a tent is not as enjoyable.

xc62701

If I wanted to go to Raystown, how long would it take to ride the entire trail system? I could head there Thursday morning and ride a bunch and then head back to state college. Then do Friday and Saturday at Rothrock, Sunday at Rattling and head home. That could be perfect.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
If I wanted to go to Raystown, how long would it take to ride the entire trail system? I could head there Thursday morning and ride a bunch and then head back to state college. Then do Friday and Saturday at Rothrock, Sunday at Rattling and head home. That could be perfect.
It rides fast, I think you could ride the entire system in a day. But I would focus on the northeastern side. You’ll probably want to do multiple laps of trails like rays revenge and hydroloop.

Top Bottom