4/27: Miles for Metheny

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
4/22: Miles for Matheny

This is just a local ride for the church or something:
http://www.milesformatheny.org/cycle.html

I met a guy on the road a few weeks ago who said his group is doing the Hills of Attrition loop, which is a 50 mile loop with about 5700 feet of vertical. Figured I would throw it out there if anyone was interested.

They have the cue sheet on the website so anyone could pick up and do this ride. Much of this is in areas I already know but it links in some stuff I've never ridden before.

There's a picnic after the ride but I have no idea if you get any free food. Not much in life is free these days, except of course my advice about pissing into the wind and on electric fences.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I might do it, but then I'm cheap and it seems silly for me to pay $15 to ride roads I already ride. OTOH, you get a free t-shirt in the deal and I really need to turn the current lot of XL bike shirts into rags and replace them with a new array of M bike shirts.

Interested?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm probably 80% in for this one, if anyone is interested. Ideally would like to keep an over 15 pace but who really knows.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The date on this is wrong, by the way. The event date is April 22, as in like 9 days from today.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I might do it, but then I'm cheap and it seems silly for me to pay $15 to ride roads I already ride. OTOH, you get a free t-shirt in the deal and I really need to turn the current lot of XL bike shirts into rags and replace them with a new array of M bike shirts.

Interested?
The website says that participants are expected to raise a minimum of $100 in pledges as well, and the entry goes to $20 at some point, at least if one waits till day-of.

I was giving this some consideration, but I'll likely do a road race on Saturday instead.

It does look like a cool ride; 5700 ft. of climbing in 50 miles is no joke, and it's beautiful out there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I registered there was no mention of pledges. It let me put $0 as my pledge number. What page is the $100 minimum mentioned - I can't find it.

I'm doing this damn thing regardless. And I'm using this as a sort of race prep. No Sunday Driving for me.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
When I registered there was no mention of pledges. It let me put $0 as my pledge number. What page is the $100 minimum mentioned - I can't find it.
When you click on the "Registration" button on the left-hand menu, it takes you to a page entitled "Registration" on which is says that "participants are asked to raise $100 or more".

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think that's a "recommended" number, but I'm checking with a guy I know to verify. I registered for $15 (before April 19th). If it turns out I have to raise $100, then oh well I guess my $15 is a lesson learned to not do these charity rides.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok I just got off the phone with them. The $100 is non-mandatory. The $15 registration fee is all you need to pay.

So anyway I'm in and I hope to have my A Game for this. No it's not an actual race but I'm using it as a pre-race to blow out the carbon a little bit.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think, and I could be wrong, but Methany is a school for handicapped people, founded by Charlie Methany.

Indeed, it's a medical & education center for those with disabilities, a teaching hospital as per the mission statement on the website.

"Matheny School and Hospital was founded in 1946 by Walter and Marguerite Matheny, the parents of a child born with cerebral palsy."

Close! I put it in his head that it's a church thing. There aren't any casual riders going out to do a 50 mile ride with that kind of elevation. So no worries, I won't be kicking over those bound to the wheelchair on the ride to secure a not-last spot. However, if there's a long hot dog line at the picnic afterwords...

walter

Fourth Party
Indeed, it's a medical & education center for those with disabilities, a teaching hospital as per the mission statement on the website.

"Matheny School and Hospital was founded in 1946 by Walter and Marguerite Matheny, the parents of a child born with cerebral palsy."

Close! I put it in his head that it's a church thing. There aren't any casual riders going out to do a 50 mile ride with that kind of elevation. So no worries, I won't be kicking over those bound to the wheelchair on the ride to secure a not-last spot. However, if there's a long hot dog line at the picnic afterwords...

Thats it, Charlie was the son I believe, I have met him, an extraordinary man, however I am not sure if he is still around, I have not been there in a few years.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So the ride was really good yesterday. Probably about 50 of us who did the hill climb course. At the end they were doing the wheelchair walk and I was just astonished at the number of people walking in that. Really fantastic turnout - had to be at least 1000 people if not 2-3000.

Ended up finishing in 3:03 which I was really happy with. Definitely a good hill climb training loop with some solid climbing. Ended up riding a good amount with a guy named Kevin from Skylands Cycling until he peeled off to wait for a friend of his behind us. Finished up with another group I caught up with about 15 miles from the end. Ironically this was a group that I was possibly going to meet up with, but the guy I knew from the group had a mechanical and bailed after 8 miles or so.

All in all a good ride and good event.

D

DANSPANK

I don't s'pose anyone had a gps to map the route did they? I know the cue sheets are available on the main website but I can't see me being able to read a piece of paper flapping in the wind. The gps route would be easier. I quite fancy a nice, scenic hill route just to give it a try and kick my own arse.

Top Bottom