4/13/2009 morning ride & pics

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Went for a 6am ride at Skyline this morning. First time at Ramapo since last fall. I usually take the soccer field lot, but parked at the upper Skyline lot this morning .. The upper Cannonball part was really kicking my ass .. very rocky/technical .. being out of shape after winter hibernation did not help.

How would you compare these parts of Cannonball in difficulty level? 1) south of 287, 2) down to lake from skyline lot, 3) up towards Ringwood.

My kind of loops:
Took White to Cannonball down to the lake.
Up White to the Castle, then down Pipeline.
Made my way up the paved road back to the lot and down Yellow to the lake.
Then back to the lot.

Did an endo on Cannonball, hit my head on a rock and got a tiny boo boo above my eye. Thank God for helmets. Got a bigger boo boo on my knee and bunch of scrapes all over. Should take my knee/shinguard next time.

Some crappy camera phone photos:

skyline001.jpg

skyline002.jpg

skyline003.jpg

skyline004.jpg

skyline005.jpg

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
How would you compare these parts of Cannonball in difficulty level? 1) south of 287, 2) down to lake from skyline lot, 3) up towards Ringwood.

My kind of loops:
Took White to Cannonball down to the lake.
Up White to the Castle, then down Pipeline.
Made my way up the paved road back to the lot and down Yellow to the lake.
Then back to the lot.

nice!

exactly on that order going from easy to difficult but #3 being the yellow not cannonball. cannonball on that side eventually will put you through the camps (double track)

dont climb up the road, climb the yellow or cannonball back :getsome:

there is a trail on the other side of the pipeline to avoid going down the pipeline, although I heard it takes derailleurs apart :rolleyes:

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
exactly on that order going from easy to difficult but #3 being the yellow not cannonball. cannonball on that side eventually will put you through the camps (double track)

That's good to know .. I guess I will have to get in shape more before I take the yellow up north :D

dont climb up the road, climb the yellow or cannonball back :getsome:

Was too out of shape to do 2 climbs today :rofl:

there is a trail on the other side of the pipeline to avoid going down the pipeline, although I heard it takes derailleurs apart :rolleyes:

Will have to check that out next time .. I'll be sure to bring an extra deraileur ;)

Sprintzer

Did you say Boo Boo. Wow.
Anyway i usually trail run the heck out of this park. Love the trrails. Have taken soccer field up to lake. not a bad ride aside form the swamps you encounter. Have not ridden from the upper lot but remember running down yellow a few times and up cannonball and white to the lake. those switchbacks through the area that's being allowed to grow are annoying. def a fun place to ride though. have to hit that upper part sometime. wish it wasnt all uphil lfrom the soccer field but there will be no more complaining. Time to be in shape

liong71er

awesome!

the castle, it reminds me of garret mountain(offiacially no mtbiking allowed now):mad:
great pics,tho!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
sure fogerson, thats a wee little scratch.

Heh, heh, you're right, it really wasn't as bad as it looked. This was about a year ago before I was diagnosed with Celiac's. Because of Celiac's I was vitamin K deficient (among other things). Vitamin K is critical in your bloods ability to clot....so all my "scratches" were looking kinda' gnarly then...

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
4/16/2009 morning ride and pics

Took another stab at Skyline this morning using the very detailed directions provided by someone here :) Ground was a bit soft, but rideable. General route was: Upper Lot to cannonball/yellow up north, take yellow all the way up to lookout. On the way back, took yellow to green to cannonball back to lot.

This was the first time I've ever used clipless (bro-in-law's hand me down shoes). I found that I could climb 2x better than normal, but after having a couple of clipless moments, I also found that my confidence level was 2x lower than normal (esp in rocky situations). I guess it's just something I have to get better at dismounting. I think I had at least 20 clipless moments :rofl: I don't think Skyline was a very good trail to begin my clipless initiation.

Definitely need some new shoes cause the hand me down shoes were so uncomfortable, I have blisters all over. Had to rest a lot .. took me 4hrs round-trip. I think it should take more like 3hrs for me.

I also used my iPhone to track my ride and uploaded to EveryTrail:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=177505

As you can see, it didn't do a very good job, but you can kind of see the route I took based on the Blue WayPoints. Apparently, I traveled over 300 miles at 70 MPH. I was kind of wondering why it kept on popping up with "Would you like to make the GPS less accurate?" I kept on pressing OK :rofl:

Anyway, here are some crappy camera phone photos:

skyline006.jpg

skyline007.jpg

skyline008.jpg

skyline009.jpg

Thanks ElZoller!

Liong, check your PM, I left you something!

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions