3rd Bottle Cage below down tube ?

one piece crank

Any input on moving a bottle to this location (and not losing it)?

I just put the frame bag on my Otso, so my only remaining mounts are on the down tube, in front of the BB. Can I run a normal cage here? Does it need a strap?

I wouldn't put a bottle for drinking down there. It's going to get disgustingly dirty.
I keep a keg can with all tools and repair items in that spot.
Screenshot_20221116-073301_Gallery.jpg

If you must put a bottle cage down there, I highly recommend a Ti King Cage. You will never lose a bottle! I've used the stainless steel version on a bike inside the frame and occasionally would drop bottles. Since I went Ti cage on all my bikes, I've only dropped bottles because of user error removing or placing in the cage.

If you must put a bottle cage down there, I highly recommend a Ti King Cage. You will never lose a bottle! I've used the stainless steel version on a bike inside the frame and occasionally would drop bottles. Since I went Ti cage on all my bikes, I've only dropped bottles because of user error removing or placing in the cage.

Agree, but the Iris has a beyond snug fit with Specialized bottles, so I might point more towards that one. Has a solid "thunk" when the bottle slides home.

The regular cage is better if you are going to carry any weird shaped stuff.

I've used tons of cages over the years, and the only other one I'd consider for that kind of location is a Blackburn Slick...but it is polycarbonate, so isn't going to be as tolerant of smashing stuff as a King.

I'm not overly happy with this location for water, but it's easier than putting it in the frame bag with clothing and other gear (tried that last Winter). I have an insulated bottle with a cap, and could always throw a sandwich baggie on it...

The oversized wire on the King Ti Cage sounds good too.

I'm using that location for the bear spray bottle, I've actually bought a specifically designed cage for it and it fits securely and neatly. Agreed on the location not suitable for anything coming close to the mouth, also kind of too far down to reach while moving...

I'm using that location for the bear spray bottle, I've actually bought a specifically designed cage for it and it fits securely and neatly. Agreed on the location not suitable for anything coming close to the mouth, also kind of too far down to reach while moving...

On the bike that has it, I use it for a fuel bottle.

You can go with something like this. :⁠-⁠). Still available!

I put one down there for bike packing. I use just use a cheap cage and a velcro strap like this:

ahls-2082c140.jpg

The bottle does get super dirty. I wouldn't drink out of any nozzle that's been down there or your first sip will be a mouth full of dirt. I carry a smart water bottle down there and fill my regular water bottle(s) with that water when I need to. When the bottle goes empty, I use it to carry dirty water so I can filter it later or use for cooking or towel shower.

Most other bike packing guys mount their bottle cages to the fork.

I have a rather simple solution, I am surprised no one has mentioned it yet, yes it gets gross, but just pour the water from down there to the bottle in yur reguler cage and ride on

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom