32 mm tires on 21mm rims? Yes or no?

terrabike01

I currently have 700x38mm tires on my gravel bike. The internal width of the wheels is 21mm. I was thinking about putting some 700x32mm tires on the bike for some road riding. All the charts say that 35mm is the narrowest tire I can safely put on a 21mm rim. Anyone run 32mm tires on a 21mm rim and live to talk about it? Any thoughts? Safe or not?

szymon

I use 21mm internal mtb wheels on my cross bike with 28mm gravelracer tires or 25mm durano dd tires, never had a problem. The only thing is road tires run about 2-3 mm wider on wider rims, so the 28mm is like a 31mm and the 25mm is about 28mm.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm running 33mm PDX tubeless on some Stan's MTB rims which are 21.6mm internal width. Shouldn't be a problem.
Have at it!

hotsauce

My road rims are 20.2mm internal and I run 23mm tires. You're more than fine. ETRTO is a joke!

terrabike01

I use 21mm internal mtb wheels on my cross bike with 28mm gravelracer tires or 25mm durano dd tires, never had a problem. The only thing is road tires run about 2-3 mm wider on wider rims, so the 28mm is like a 31mm and the 25mm is about 28mm.
I'm running 33mm PDX tubeless on some Stan's MTB rims which are 21.6mm internal width. Shouldn't be a problem.
Have at it!

You guys talking clincher or tubular?

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I run 25c on my pacenti rims (which I think are 21 internal). They measure 26.5mm with the wider rims but I've never had a flat, which I consider a win. I wouldn't stress it

Top Bottom