300 psi Fox High Pressure digital shock pump - Not turning off

JerseyPete

I am guessing that under the rubber cover of the switch, is what some of us (old people) call an oil can button. It is a curved piece of spring metal that when pressed, deflects temporarily and makes contact, then bounces back open.

serviceguy

I am guessing that under the rubber cover of the switch, is what some of us (old people) call an oil can button. It is a curved piece of spring metal that when pressed, deflects temporarily and makes contact, then bounces back open.

Tactile switch maybe? I took the whole thing apart a couple of times and it looks something like this...
tactile-switch-2nd-version-rane-2.gif

i couldn't find anything in Google for 'oil can button' other than...oil can button!

Karate Monkey

Tactile switch maybe? I took the whole thing apart a couple of times and it looks something like this...
View attachment 99361
i couldn't find anything in Google for 'oil can button' other than...oil can button!

I'm thinking 'membrane' switch would be the closest you'd find to the old style momentary switches that sprung back under their own (material) power. Ultimately, all momentary switches work the same way--contact touches contact, then springs away, either as part of the contact, or due to an external spring. Just search for "momentary switch" if you know that that is the problem [hint: you can jump the terminals on the switch, and if it works, you know the switch is bad]. Most of those parts have an identifying mark on them, btw, so you can replace it with an exact copy. Almost all modern reading gauges have an auto-off, including that pump, so the switch is either stuck (doesn't work at all), or there is something else wrong in the circuit.

And yes, I would just call Fox.

serviceguy

I'm thinking 'membrane' switch would be the closest you'd find to the old style momentary switches that sprung back under their own (material) power. Ultimately, all momentary switches work the same way--contact touches contact, then springs away, either as part of the contact, or due to an external spring. Just search for "momentary switch" if you know that that is the problem [hint: you can jump the terminals on the switch, and if it works, you know the switch is bad]. Most of those parts have an identifying mark on them, btw, so you can replace it with an exact copy. Almost all modern reading gauges have an auto-off, including that pump, so the switch is either stuck (doesn't work at all), or there is something else wrong in the circuit.

And yes, I would just call Fox.

The switch also works as a toggle between the different measuring units available, that works correctly, not sure if the timed on/off functionality is associated to different pins of the same switch as I suspect.

Being surface mounting I'd rather not mess with it. I e-mailed Fox, depending on their reply I'll decide if I take matters in my own hands or just suck it up and buy a new one.

If that were the case I'm leaning toward the Lezyne 350psi.

serviceguy

If you're dropping stupid money, buy an SKS USP. Analog, but that's better for an infrequently used item, IMO.

Fox replied, since it was purchased less than 1 year ago and I could provide proof of purchased I should be able to get a new one, waiting on final answer. I like the convenience of the digital gauge, especially since it's not so frequently used. But I do tend to spend way too much money on tools...I'm a guy!

P.S. I may have to buy the SKS USP pump just for the wooden box it comes with!

serviceguy

So far Fox customer support has been a douche...did not read the proof of purchase I attached to my e-mail, then told he needed the purchase date, then disappeared on me and when asked for an update asked me to send the pump in than send proof of purchase. After spending almost $1.5K between fork, shock and seatpost (I did mentioned that) I’m not pleased. I think it’s time for a new pump...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
We tried to warranty a brand new fork in the box that arrived with a leaking cartridge and they told us to scratch. We need to send it in for a rebuild. I just bought the seals and fixed it here but some shit's going down at that place for sure...

serviceguy

Well, now I've got another e-mail saying that the screenshot of the purchase I sent was enough for service standard...and send it again...sound like somebody doesn't know how to run a customer service over there. Not going crazy for a $60 pump, just disappointed for the waste of time. You either warranty or you don't...everybody seems to be busy riding their bike or filming trendy youtube videos, can't waste time with customers that have paid already I guess.

Top Bottom