30 Day Challenge

BiknBen

I like your 30-day challenges. Effective and likely attainable goals. What you wrote here made a light bulb turn on in my head:

...larger-than-necessary restaurant portions...

Over the years, I've become pretty knowledgeable about nutrition; proper diet, portions, vitamins and minerals in foods, etc. The foods served in most eateries is really poor nutritionally. The hidden calories and fats in most prepared meals is atrocious. The mornings after I eat out, I am often heavy on the scale and feel generally poor.

I recommend we all consider this challenge:
Eat-in for 30 days.
Get to the grocery store and by some ingredients. Stay away from the freezer section. Become one with the produce Dept. You do not need to be a master chef. 50% of my food intake is salads and steamed veggies. Other than that, I eat all kinds of stuff that I prepare relatively quickly using fresh foods and ingredients; sandwiches, tortilla pizzas, cereals with fruit and yogurt, on and on....

I find it satisfying to prepare my own meal, sit down, and enjoy it. I know what I'm eating and I feel better afterwards. Do this for 30 days and you find that you actually save money and eat better.

Wobbegong

I find it satisfying to prepare my own meal, sit down, and enjoy it. I know what I'm eating and I feel better afterwards. Do this for 30 days and you find that you actually save money and eat better.

Good stuff Ben. Some of the best meals are made from simple fresh foods. Freshness is the key. Simple dishes like lemon chicken w/ fresh herbs and served with fresh steamed veggies can be so fantastic. I love to cook. Now I'm hungry!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Eat-in for 30 days.
Get to the grocery store and by some ingredients. Stay away from the freezer section. Become one with the produce Dept. You do not need to be a master chef. 50% of my food intake is salads and steamed veggies. Other than that, I eat all kinds of stuff that I prepare relatively quickly using fresh foods and ingredients; sandwiches, tortilla pizzas, cereals with fruit and yogurt, on and on....

Good ideas. Although, while I love cooking and my grocery chart is a 1/4 full with fresh fruits, veggies, tofu, seitan and other soy products, I still like to eat out at least once a week. Sometimes not even for the quality/taste of food but not to have to clean up afterwards.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good luck.

No caffiene for 30 days :cry:

Speaking of portion control, I started counting calories 5 days ago. I just logged in my PButter and banana sandwich that I made for lunch.....the amount of pbutter I use makes it a 600 Calorie sandwich!!!! Watch those portions.

BiknBen

I still like to eat out at least once a week. Sometimes not even for the quality/taste of food but not to have to clean up afterwards.

I still eat out. I occasionally have trouble finding something acceptable on many menus. I also have a much greater appreciation for just staying home and eating in.

Everything in moderation is my mindset.

ArmyOfNone

I still eat out. I occasionally have trouble finding something acceptable on many menus. I also have a much greater appreciation for just staying home and eating in.

Everything in moderation is my mindset.

When I eat out I often try to leave a little on the plate. I TRY to eat until I feel content and not stuffed. If the portion is really big Ill leave enough for another meal later on during the week.

kush

Best of luck with your challenge!

I'll second the bit about large portions.

In a recent Time article profiling centenarians, one of the common traits found in Okinawans (known to consistently live a long time), they practice a dietary philosophy known as hara hachi bu--literally, eight parts out of 10 full. Translation: they eat only to the point at which they are about 80% sated

Wondering why no caffeine? used correctly, caffeine does indeed help to improve performance on the bike, especially short-term, high-intensity efforts.

THATmanMANNY

I've eaten many bizarre foods and love my veggies, but I don't think I could last more then a week on only veggies :eek: Lately i've been exercising too much and eating not enough I think. I'm getting lighter and lighter each week. It needs to stop! I would like a big portion right now actually to be honest. Cafe Picassa in somerville tonight! whoot whoot! I quit caffeine a while back for a few months but just recently I picked up my once or twice a week cup.

Last edited:

Wobbegong

I've eaten many bizarre foods and love my veggies, but I don't think I could last more then a week on only veggies :eek: Lately i've been exercising too much and eating not enough I think. I'm getting lighter and lighter each week. It needs to stop! I would like a big portion right now actually to be honest. Cafe Picassa in somerville tonight! whoot whoot!

Keeping calories in check while riding is tough. Riding makes me so hungry.

I've been dropping weight for a while now. I've been doing the small and often meal thing, but sometimes after a ride, I want to eat like a machine.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
good luck JGR! it's good to make things attainable. set the routine and go from there.

there is no way on earth i could give up caffeine right now (with two very early rising as of late 4 1/2 year olds and a four week old...). maybe ever.

funny thing is, i know all this stuff...the eat healthy, hidden calories, don't drink beer. i just haven't followed it or cared for pretty much the last year. i've just been too tired to do so.

now, however, my wife is no longer pregnant and on a tear to drop three babies worth of weight. mentally she's in a good place so now we can both concentrate on getting where we want to be: her back into the bikini's, me, either into the 180's or at 200lbs but low body fat.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
thanks jigger. the girls LOVE having a little brother. love is actually not strong enough a word. really. but i digress..

you hit on something that i have completely overlooked in all these threads about weight loss, training, etc. what's that? keep a journal. regardless of what you think, you simply cannot remember everything and keeping a journal is a good way to not only track your progress, but figure out how different things effect you. are you more awake or less awake with yogurt. do eggs really keep you from being hungry? all important things that will help dial yourself in.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
30 Days of Cloth Diapering: the initial outlay of expenses might make this one impractical, but I want to see if I can do it.

:puke:
the way my kid sh*ts, i will gladly stick with disposables. Also, take into consideration that extra water, electricity and detergent for the cloth diapers. While I am sure you still come out ahead with cloth diapers, unless you wash the diapers in a bucket, you are really only saving the landfills.

Cool goal!

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
:puke:
the way my kid sh*ts, i will gladly stick with disposables. Also, take into consideration that extra water, electricity and detergent for the cloth diapers. While I am sure you still come out ahead with cloth diapers, unless you wash the diapers in a bucket, you are really only saving the landfills.

Cool goal!

10,000,000,000,000,000% agree. no freakin' way on the cloth diapers. i'd rather give up coffee.

besides kev is right. if you did an environmental assesment chain on each, you'd probably be at a wash, if not over on the cloth diapers. production, shipping, purchase and upkeep (not to mention all of the above for the products to clean said diapers)...the list goes on. if you really want to be green, let the baby run free in your back yard. :D

work on the barefoot thing instead...where possible. although i must admit, i don't EVER take off the ugg slippers my wife got me. they are my work shoes though.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Kevin's comment got me thinking it would be nice to add an easy environmental challenge to the pot:

30 Days of No Plastic or Paper Bags: Next time you're in the supermarket, buy 6 or 7 reusable bags (around a buck a pop) and use them for your food shopping and anything else. We keep one on the front seat of each car as a reminder to grab it before heading into CVS, convenience store or wherever. I haven't used a plastic bag (which amount to nearly a trillion every year) in 6 months and feel I'm doing the Earth a good service.

Also several supermarkets pay you 5 or 10 cents for every reusable bag you use.

Top Bottom