3 Foot Drop @ Tourne (Never knew it was there)

RyGanley

Ok, I feel I know the Tourne very well, but somtimes I get a surprise here and there. Following Mike D, and he says let's check that drop out.. I say.. there is no drop over here.. he laughs and makes a turn on to a big ass rock off the side of the trail... Then I look.. Huge Boulder that just ends, drops 3 feet and becomes a grassy open space about 10 feet long... I take a gulp and let go of the handle bars.. BAMMM right off and down smooth... Scared the shit out of me.. Can't wait to do again! (Denville side, 10 feet to the right of the single boulder roller, heads to were they filmed a sceen from The Sorpranos)

RyGanley

ytc100 said:
oooh, I gotta try to find this. Not sure where they filmed the sopranos, any more hints?

of the gravel trail between the end of 911 and the pora Jhon (denville side)

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
RyGanley said:
Ok, I feel I know the Tourne very well, but somtimes I get a surprise here and there. Following Mike D, and he says let's check that drop out.. I say.. there is no drop over here.. he laughs and makes a turn on to a big ass rock off the side of the trail... Then I look.. Huge Boulder that just ends, drops 3 feet and becomes a grassy open space about 10 feet long... I take a gulp and let go of the handle bars.. BAMMM right off and down smooth... Scared the shit out of me.. Can't wait to do again! (Denville side, 10 feet to the right of the single boulder roller, heads to were they filmed a sceen from The Sorpranos)

ok, first of all, how does one stick a landing when they "let go of the handlebars" ? ;)

second, i think i know where you mean but i'll be damned if i ever noticed it. does the grass runout go onto the pavement? next time i'll have to wake up, be more aware of my surroundings.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
what the hell. how did i not know about this. i probably won't get there for two weeks and by that time scott will be riding UP it, hopping back around in a circle, the doing a freakin' tailgrab off it. :(

edit: left or rt at the end of 911??

ytc100

It's on the gravel road between the "Illa & Morris" playground and the bottom of 911. If you're riding from the playground it'll be on your right. The run out puts you on the road between the baseball field and the playground.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
ytc100 said:
It's on the gravel road between the "Illa & Morris" playground and the bottom of 911. If you're riding from the playground it'll be on your right. The run out puts you on the road between the baseball field and the playground.

hmmmm Ry, this is the drop I was telling you about a few weeks back. I thought you already knew about this area. Someone has to show this to me so I know if it's the same place.

Scott, the trail had one small log roller and a down tree you have to duck?

-jay

ytc100

Jason said:
Scott, the trail had one small log roller and a down tree you have to duck?

-jay

After the drop there was a roller and a tree I had to duck. Sounds the same.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ytc100 said:

ohhhh...i know exactly where it is now. i saw a new "trail" coming down off the hill the last time i was there but forgot to check it out after 911.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
can someone post where it is on the map? circle it on the trail map map maybe.

Wow, this is a flashback. I can't remember if they ever did show me where the drop was but I think I came across it on my own. I haven't been there for a while but maybe I can mark up a map.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
is he talking about the little stretch of single track that runs next to and above the white trail?? bc thats about the only thing i can think of that seems close to what he describes to me.

Mildly Wild

ohhhh...i know exactly where it is now. i saw a new "trail" coming down off the hill the last time i was there but forgot to check it out after 911.

I usually either ride or hike the Tourne once a month. Trying to understand where this drop could be, as I thought I knew this park very well. I usually park at the playground (Denville side) pkg area and ride or hike in via the Red trail. I am gathering from context that "911" is the name of a trail nearby?:hmmm:

BAIN

so if you park at the playground, ride the gravel road like you are going to climb the tourne. once you are in there a bit before you make the left to go up the tourne, the trail is on your right.

i'm pretty sure this is the drop they are talking about.

another way to find it is when you park by the ball field and your are riding the paved road to hill leading to the playground. pass the gate and look to your right. you will see the trail coming down the hill. do the climb and see where it ends up on the gravel road section.

Big C

found it today.... its pretty big, didnt try it cause it was the end of the day. i cant wait to hit it though. that trail is super steep!

Big C

tourne.JPG

might be too small but i highlighted a fun dh run with the drop^

click on the icon it is big enough to see

loggerhead

Anybody get a chance to snap a pic of this thing. I have never been to the Tourne because I hear it's pretty mellow. If this jump looks nice, maybe I'll head over there soon.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions