29r ss guys...

ellbiddy

I was really feeling the Felt Nine Team/Elite but I went with the superfly instead (got an offer I couldn't refuse :p), I got to test ride one of the felt bikes though and the thing rides really nice, it's not the SS but I'm sure the geometry is very similar, they don't run in the same sizes, but even given that it's pretty comparable.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
its a nice bike, but looking at those specs, it seems a bit pricey. IMO if you dont need hydraulic brakes, the GF rig is specced a bit better for a little less $$

walter

Fourth Party
its a nice bike, but looking at those specs, it seems a bit pricey. IMO if you dont need hydraulic brakes, the GF rig is specced a bit better for a little less $$

+2 on the Rig. Fox fork, tubeless ready wheels and cheaper. Plus the brownish color with the polished components is bad ass looking.

RNG1

I should have reminded you guys of the situation, I did some work for my LBS so I am bartering this deal so it is based on what lines he carries and we are trading cost for cost. If Orbea made a 29r SS that would be the way I would go, however it seems I am limited to either Kona, Fuji or the Felt. Kona makes a rigid or w front shock that I am sure would be less than the Felt but my impression is quality would be less as well. The Kona rigid is pretty inexpensive especially with my arrangement so I was considering this just to check out this world of 29 ss and then using the balance for some other upgrades to my other bikes given I am not so sure this will be my main rig at least until next season when I decide to race SS full time.....

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I'm sure JDog will chime in on this one...He loved this bike when he rode it

The alloy bikes are OK.. The Solo is a pretty solid bike. Better than average..

The Nine Team.. Well that is another story. By far the bike that coveted the most at interbike. Not enough to take on the line though.

Felt is a quirky line with quite a few interesting bikes.

I have a long term project that will involve carbon. It is right under our nose but at least a year off. Otherwise I would have take on felt.

RNG1

Final votes....?I have it narrowed down (again based on my options that I have to choose from given the circumstances) to the Kona Big Unit or the Felt. I am actually leaning toward the Kona now mainly because I think I feel better about the Fox shock vs the Reba. I have a Fox on my hardtail 26 and I think it feels great. Also the frames are both Scandium and I think the rest of the components are pretty comparable, a little bummed that neither have tubeless rims but I'll have to do Stan's no big thing. Anything else that anyone points out that is significant that I might have missed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Glancing Aft

Donno what I can really add that hasn't already been said. The bike is also currently on my short list since I can get a good price on it. In terms of your bang for the buck it's one of the only bikes out there that competes well with the Rig. Just one word of advice from what I've read is that the bike runs a bit larger (even for a 29er). For instance most 29er frames I'd be a large but this guy I'll probably get in a medium.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Sheerly from a frame material standpoint (without riding any of the bikes), I say go for the Kona if you're thinking you're just trying out the 29er thing and the Felt or Fuji if you're pretty sure you'll be racing it next year. The Kona's steel will most likely be more comfy (though heavier) and the aluminum frames are going to be faster though beat you up more. Though the Kona is the only rigid bike of the three right? If the frame is suspension-corrected, can you get a fork thrown in?

The Felt 9 elite is carbon and 3 grand. Maybe you meet the shop owner in the middle somewhere?

RNG1

Thanks all but unfortunately rig is not an option. Justin, you are referring to the kona unit (steel rigid) I'm looking at the big unit (scandium with fox fork)
Thanks also for the sizing comment I will definitely dou ble check that, good lookin out

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Thanks all but unfortunately rig is not an option. Justin, you are referring to the kona unit (steel rigid) I'm looking at the big unit (scandium with fox fork)
Thanks also for the sizing comment I will definitely dou ble check that, good lookin out

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=441451

I was going to note the Kona had a steep HA of 72 degrees but so does the Felt!
The Fuji is 71 degrees but (with gears) is 29 lbs! The Felt is stock at 24 lbs and

There's no middle ground with the lime green on the Kona -- love it or hate it.

RNG1

Good points, didn't see the weight on the kona but I do like key lime pie...just landed in orlando,later

ArmyOfNone

My two comments to throw in are:

1. Reba fork- Solid fork, stable even in the rocky stuff, very easy to dial and a few bucks cheaper. Rock Shox did a good job with this. Ill be on my second one this year (upgrade w/ maxle)

2. If you go with the Felt, they are spec'd with WTB rims. I know your thinking about stans as well. I had those wheels and tried using the kit and did not experience good results. The rims are a bit to deep.

Good luck!:D

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i agree on the rock shox. i'm 200, pushing 210 w/ full equipment and i didn't experience any of the odd issues. the '09 models with that bulge thingy and the maxle option are smooth. had i known they came in black i would have upgraded. :(

BMXxXJ

as far as from a servicability stand point, i'd go with the reba. actually i will be purchasing a reba at somepoint this year when rigid destroys the wrist i broke. the reba's are very easy to rebuild to rplace o rings and it's possible to upgrade the internal without many issues. the dual air is very nice and you can have a lot of fun playing with your air settings. the fox is a very nice fork and preforms very very well. but servicing it is just a PITA. the 09 reba FTW

Top Bottom