29r ss guys...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
i agree on the rock shox. i'm 200, pushing 210 w/ full equipment and i didn't experience any of the odd issues. the '09 models with that bulge thingy and the maxle option are smooth. had i known they came in black i would have upgraded. :(

I don't think that the Reba 29er is available in black with the maxle. 26, yes, 29 no...

THATmanMANNY

Rigid

soooo simple why didn't I think of it

With all this shit going down in real life, riding a rigid bike is so joyful

bozizle

I have had a year + on both forks and there is a little idfference in performance from the Reba and the Fox.

Reba - a bit heavier and a bit twisty in the harshest bashing you can throw at it (I'm generally around 215) Very smooth through out the travel and easy to service.

Fox - No noticeable flex very smooth and a bit lighter. However I still don't under stand how these companies can justify $700 + for a fork!!! It's cheaper to replcae the shocks on my car!!

Rigid

Bontrager Switchbalde - Awesome but hard to get right now

RNG1

OK boys and girls call me a SS fool now, but be nice about it...
I got this:
http://www.konaworld.com/09_unit_u.cfm

and while I was at it I had to get the ugliest/coolest thing I have seen in a while:
http://www.konaworld.com/09_paddywagon_u.cfm

So now I can talk flip flop hubs and gears and all this crazy stuff you guys get into.

Nice thing is I still have some room left on this barter so I may finally get a FS frame to throw together with the parts I have laying around.

My wife is gonna bug!!!!:rofl:

RNG1

You either love or hate the yellow wheels, I like it because I figure there is maybe a slightly better chance of a car seeing me from the sides! I also never saw anything like it as far as the color scheme.

RNG1

Any tips on what size gears I need to get my hands on, actually for both the road and 29r? Are they interchangeable on both bikes?

BiknBen

Any tips on what size gears I need to get my hands on, actually for both the road and 29r? Are they interchangeable on both bikes?

I'm diggin both bikes. Not sure about compatibility of gears between bikes. The road bike will have a Fixed/Free hub. You can put a threaded fixed gear on one side and a threaded Freewheel on the other side. The MTB will use either a threaded freewheel of a cassette cog. The Specs say freewheel but I'm surprised. I haven't seen a disc hub with threads for a Freewheel.

The size of the gears seem fine to me. Why are you looking to change them?

RNG1

Not necessarily looking to change them, I just always seem to be reading posts by you guys saying that you use such and such for different places and so on figuring you need to have an assortment. Not so much for the road bike.

BiknBen

Not necessarily looking to change them, I just always seem to be reading posts by you guys saying that you use such and such for different places and so on figuring you need to have an assortment. Not so much for the road bike.

Gear choice is a personal preference. Ride the stock stuff at your favorite place. If it becomes too difficult choose a lower gear. If you have the legs, try something bigger. :getsome:

IROnick

I've talked about gear choice extensively with my friends. From what they say and my own experience, having just started riding SS, the best gear in back to start with, IMO, is 20t. Now, this all depends on where you're gonna be riding. From the get go, if you're going to ride rail trails or tow paths, I'd say drop down to an 18t. If you are going to do any technical riding or plan to ride where there are steep climbs, maybe 22t is a good starting point. Trouble is, changing gears involves a little work, so maybe at first it's best to find a middle ground. I started out running 32:18, which is tall for a beginner, but muscled through it. After training all winter on that setup at places like Skyline, Ringwood, MD, and LM, I recently popped on a 20t cog that I will be racing on this season. WOW! What a difference two teeth made! The strength I built from the 18t made the 20t feel like a granny gear and is going to make me much faster climbing. But then again, I spin out at 15mph! Hope this helps! BTW, that Paddy Wagon is effing sweeeet!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I rode a 34 rotor q ring with a 20 t cog for the last 2 years.

About a month ago I switched to a 19. The other day I threw the 20 back on to pull a trailer.

I tried the 20 again and it feels super easy.

Maybe i am getting stronger??

Who knows..

Top Bottom