29er

lancerracer

What cardboard master did you study under?

Do you have any other exceptional skills??

Perhaps you have also mastered the high speed tube install?

I may need some help once it gets warm.

j

I learned under the man with the long black hair....and I have mastered the high speed tube install (as well as the highly technical rim strip to velox maneuver). I will stop in and talk to you about my other skills (such as the kicking-the-bmx-kid-out-of-the-store-after-you-caught-him-stealing-stuff).

As for the bike...I have ridden the reba and I had the same impression as j (I have been spoiled by the lefty and my fox). I was wondering if anybody has had experience with the 1/8" steerer for the lefty (I think it is made by project 321). I am interested in using the lefty, but I don't really want to use a caffeine 29r as the frame. I dont have anything against cdale, (I have owned 3) but I wanted something different for this bike...

Shaggz

A strong 7
i was talking to pumkinbitr (321) about the converter - great guy, great company. i am in a similar situation - i have a lefty just sitting here doing nuttin. the reba on my giant is good, but the lefty is far superior imho

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I learned under the man with the long black hair....and I have mastered the high speed tube install (as well as the highly technical rim strip to velox maneuver). I will stop in and talk to you about my other skills (such as the kicking-the-bmx-kid-out-of-the-store-after-you-caught-him-stealing-stuff).

As for the bike...I have ridden the reba and I had the same impression as j (I have been spoiled by the lefty and my fox). I was wondering if anybody has had experience with the 1/8" steerer for the lefty (I think it is made by project 321). I am interested in using the lefty, but I don't really want to use a caffeine 29r as the frame. I dont have anything against cdale, (I have owned 3) but I wanted something different for this bike...

My buddy Drew works for Cannondale. He says that the forces that a lefty puts on a headtube almost double that of a standard 1-1/8 fork.

They would have long ago downsized to 1-1/8 if they thought it was strong enough.

I have seen a bunch of pics of Leftys on non-Cannondales but I think you are just asking for trouble. Nothing ruins a day like a sheared off headtube.

Basically if a bike isn't worthy of a dual crown fork I would steer away from a lefty conversion. Steer way Left that is..

j

jdog

Shop Keep
Maybe I will have to give the Caffine 29r a better look...

I just got an e-mail 30 seconds ago from Cannondale. They finally have F-29's as framesets.

Here is the pricing:

$599 for the frame alone.. $449 if you trade in an old C-dale.

They have trade in pricing on the Lefty too.

j

jdog

Shop Keep
aluminum frame? i'm worried about the harshness of the ride

I was too.

You will never believe how smooth this bike is until you ride it. It is very very similar to my Ti bike.

I know you won't believe it though..

j

heythorp

seems like most of the 29ers made by bigger bike companies are Aluminum. my guess is weight savings/cost/thats what then do. Canandale will always be an aluminum company. bianchi's 29er option is aluminum. I guess lower end stuff like the mary and monocogs are steel but from what i am seeing most are not.

the karate monkey is steel. but i would consider that a higher end bike and not one of the bigger companies...

ok so my post contradicts its self all over the place. what was my point? i have no idea anymore.

the thing that is keeping me away from the Rita is aluminum, and now the reba after the other thread that is going on, i might just buy a fox 80x for the sass and rock the 26er instead, New tarmac is on the list this year anyways, dont "need' the 29er

lancerracer

I have been very impressed by the new cannondale frames...I bought a CAAD8 (road bike) with intention of just using it as a race bike because of the usual harshness of aluminum. After a few shakedown rides however, the ride was great. It was easily one of the best aluminum frames I have ever ridden. I would not hesitate to buy one again on the idea that the ride is too harsh.

jdog

Shop Keep
I have been very impressed by the new cannondale frames...I bought a CAAD8 (road bike) with intention of just using it as a race bike because of the usual harshness of aluminum. After a few shakedown rides however, the ride was great. It was easily one of the best aluminum frames I have ever ridden. I would not hesitate to buy one again on the idea that the ride is too harsh.

You should try the Cadd9..

Even smoother. Really.

I just got a System6 with the Sram force kit.

Now that bike is smmmoooth!

j

walter

Fourth Party
yeah but you wear armor and carry a sword, so aluminum probably is no big deal for you.

That must be a loud ride, with all that metal banging together, body armor, sword, frame. It must be hard to see through that visor with those tiny slots, too.

lancerracer

You should try the Cadd9..

Even smoother. Really.

I just got a System6 with the Sram force kit.

Now that bike is smmmoooth!

j
I rode the caad 9 and I was very impressed...I also raced the System 6 with Force, and the ride was awsome, but the problem was, it was my first time on the Sram stuff, so shifting was a bit interesting....
If I was buying another road bike now, it would probably by a system 6. I think the carbon and aluminum delivers an amazing ride. I had a Bianchi Lugged Carbon bike to demo over the summer and I just couldnt get used to the ride, but when I ride the Six13 or the System 6 I fall in love with the ride...

lancerracer

That must be a loud ride, with all that metal banging together, body armor, sword, frame. It must be hard to see through that visor with those tiny slots, too.

I am thinking of switching to carbon armor...I here it makes less noise...

Shaggz

A strong 7
I was too.

You will never believe how smooth this bike is until you ride it. It is very very similar to my Ti bike.

I know you won't believe it though..

j

you are confused, heythorp is the skeptic, i am just an instigator. the irony is that i still have this lefty sitting on the jekyll carcass in my garage. this caffeine 29'er sounds appealing, but i am apprehensive about dropping coin on a ride that will jar my bones and rattle my fillings.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you are confused, heythorp is the skeptic, i am just an instigator. the irony is that i still have this lefty sitting on the jekyll carcass in my garage. this caffeine 29'er sounds appealing, but i am apprehensive about dropping coin on a ride that will jar my bones and rattle my fillings.

so what does that make me? eh, nevermind.

anyway, i wouldn't be too concerned about the ride. doesn't your garage have a nice, smooth concrete floor? :D

seriously, i think the way the 29ers roll, the alum. frame wouldn't be too bad. i didn't think the specialized was bad at all and that was aluminum. in all honesty, for places like KVSP and LM where i rode it the most, i thought it was great.

heythorp

I used to have a specialized Sworks steel hard tail. Unfortunately the frame broke. Fortunately Specialized replaced the frame, but unfortunately they no longer made a steel frame and I ended up with their M2 aluminum frame. That may have been the most miserable ride I have ever had.

scalpel6

System Six

I rode the caad 9 and I was very impressed...I also raced the System 6 with Force, and the ride was awsome, but the problem was, it was my first time on the Sram stuff, so shifting was a bit interesting....
If I was buying another road bike now, it would probably by a system 6. I think the carbon and aluminum delivers an amazing ride. I had a Bianchi Lugged Carbon bike to demo over the summer and I just couldnt get used to the ride, but when I ride the Six13 or the System 6 I fall in love with the ride...

I have been riding my System Six with the Scram Force group for a couple of months and I am very impressed. Spot on shifting with no problems to date. I would highly recommend the Six with Scram to any one. Take it for a ride you will love it. The only people that may have a problem are guys that have been racing Shimano for years and don't want to take a chance.

Top Bottom