29er

walter

Fourth Party
They are pretty sweet, I have been considering one now that they are selling complete packages, although I think cannondale may be producing a 29er ss soon, so that also has my attention. I cant make up my mind, I ride something for a few months, I see something else, then I want that.

lancerracer

The niner air 9 looks very tempting...now I just need to get a job at a shop again this summer to help pay for the parts...

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Crushing cardboard...I can do that...I have learned the finer points of breaking down bike boxes...

What cardboard master did you study under?

Do you have any other exceptional skills??

Perhaps you have also mastered the high speed tube install?

I may need some help once it gets warm.

j

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'd love to ride one of these and see what they're all about. however....

...we'll need a new forum so i can discuss how former all-america goalie ex-powerlifter types who crush parts, fear riding old steel frames in the woods and love to talk about buying bikes (and making perfectly good FS bikes into nine speeds) can avoid any complications. :D :D :D

http://www.carverbikes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=12

jdog

Shop Keep
factless review

:)
You got a Rampage review? They were on the radar for a time but fell off. Seemed to do better on the West Coast than out these parts.

I haven't been on a trail with them yet.

I bought the exowolfs, Michelin ATs, Rampage and the Nevegal and looked them all side by side to help decide which set to run.

I showed them all to a bunch of bike nerds and we all decided on the Rampage as a good mix of speed and traction.

Mind you this was just based on how they looked. We were only using our past experiences as a guide.

The Rampage tread is so close to the Nevegal that Panaracer should be ashamed.

The AT was the lightest while the Rampage was 2nd lightest. I think the WTB was the heaviest.

I will let you know how they ride once the knobs are worn off..

j

jdog

Shop Keep
i'd love to ride one of these and see what they're all about. however....

...we'll need a new forum so i can discuss how former all-america goalie ex-powerlifter types who crush parts, fear riding old steel frames in the woods and love to talk about buying bikes (and making perfectly good FS bikes into nine speeds) can avoid any complications. :D :D :D

http://www.carverbikes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=12

I rode that carver 96er at Pedro'sFest last summer.

Apart from looking weird the Reba fork felt ultra noodley. I had just spent a 1/2 hour on a prototype F-29er and comparing the lefty to the Reba to the Lefty is not fair.

The front end wandered and the bike felt like an accordian when you hit the front brake.

I am clearly lefty biased but I am not the first to say this..

Oh yeah.. The bike was fine but not inspiring in any particular way. The 96er thing is for real I guess but it still is a Frankenbike to me.

j

Shaggz

A strong 7
You got a Rampage review? They were on the radar for a time but fell off. Seemed to do better on the West Coast than out these parts.

a lot of the negs for uisng the rampage on the east coast were related to poor traction in wet/sloppy technical conditions. my *guess* is that the handling characterstics inherent in 29 in. bikes and the fast flow of 6 mile may make these issues moot.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode that carver 96er at Pedro'sFest last summer.

Apart from looking weird the Reba fork felt ultra noodley. I had just spent a 1/2 hour on a prototype F-29er and comparing the lefty to the Reba to the Lefty is not fair.

The front end wandered and the bike felt like an accordian when you hit the front brake.

I am clearly lefty biased but I am not the first to say this..

Oh yeah.. The bike was fine but not inspiring in any particular way. The 96er thing is for real I guess but it still is a Frankenbike to me.

j

really...huh. thanks jay.

ArmyOfNone

They are pretty sweet, I have been considering one now that they are selling complete packages, although I think cannondale may be producing a 29er ss soon, so that also has my attention. I cant make up my mind, I ride something for a few months, I see something else, then I want that.

i thout a niner was going to be it too. i have heard also that cannondale is working on a 29er SS. Love my c'dale. and i want a lefty rolling up front.

Top Bottom