29er VS 27.5 VS 26

chrisalecia

My 2c is that I love my FS 29r but now that my age is becoming a factor I think the 27+ would give me additional advantages that I really didn't need 5 years ago.

DonnDenn

should have elaborated more lol I'm not a fan of the fat tires i don't like how they look lol i have 2.4 on my bike and really don't wanted any wider lol i think id try a 3 i guess what advantage does 29 give over 27.5+

Rdoonz

whats the pros and cons i currently have a 29er and don't know what to make my next bike
I've owned two 29er's over the last 5 years, my current ride being a Trek Superfly that I love. One of my riding buddies picked up a fat bike about a year ago and kept raving about how awesome it was. I finally broke down about a month ago and picked up a Trek Farley (fat bike) full rigid. After 5 rides and 100 miles at various parks (Allaire, Hartshorne, Six Mile, and Round Valley) I have to agree, the fat bike is awesome.

I love both bikes for different reasons. The 29er is like the F-16 of the trail, light and fast awesome for tearing up nice flowing single track. The fat bike is kind of like a monster truck, able to smooth over rock gardens and climbs like a mountain goat, making shitty rooty and rocky climbs I've never cleared on my 29er hardtail seem easy. This simple analogy doesn't do the fat bike justice, it's also awesome at tearing up smooth, flowy single track like Six Mile and Allaire, but it's not quite as nimble as the 29er. That being said it's still very capable handling those types of trails.

Bottom line: I wouldn't say I would replace my 29er with the fat bike, but if someone held a gun to my head and told me I could only keep one, it would probably be the fat bike. It doesn't do everything as well as the 29er in all situations, but does everything well enough. I don't think the same thing can be said for the 29er, at least not a hardtail, IMHO.

As I'm finishing up my post, I noticed you posted up and said you didn't want a fat bike.....oh well, you have my take anyway ;)

DonnDenn

I'm kinda convinced to look into a fat bike now lol maybe if I ride one I'll change my mind thank you for that opinion it really changed my perspective I never really broke it down that way

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Since 27.5+ bikes are what seems to be what a lot of people are choosing to purchase these days, its at least worth taking a demo ride. 27.5+ Bikes thave the ability to run the stock B+ or if you decide you like 29ers better, run those on the same bike. Seems to be the experiment with the lowest penalty for buyers remorse. 2c.

Johnny Utah

In all honesty, if I just wanted to cruise parks and have a fun time I would snatch up a used 26" bike from here, pink bike or eBay. You can get a primo 26er for between 1-2k. It's unreal.

Otherwise they all have their place. Good luck on your quest.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Buy something from @Glenn. Doesn't matter what he is selling, you'll be happy and save tons of cash over new.

On a serious note, the b+ bikes that can run a 29r sound like they give you more options, and fewer unplanned front dismounts.

Top Bottom