29er UST Standard. Finally!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Hutchinson Gets UST Stamp of Approval

TRENTON, NJ (BRAIN)—Hutchinson Tires is the first bicycle tire manufacturer to produce a 29-inch MTB tire with the
official UST stamp of approval.

Hutchinson Tires has been at the forefront of tubeless tire development throughout its long history. Pioneering the development and introduction of tubeless mountain bike tires in the late 90's, Hutchinson worked closely with Mavic to create an international tubeless standard which was coined UST.

More recently, Hutchinson became the first and, to date, only manufacturer of production Tubeless Road tires which were developed in close partnership with Shimano.

With the popularity of 29-inch mountain bikes skyrocketing over the last year, Hutchinson recently released its industry standard, high volume, small tread block Python tire in a 29-inch size. The tire was launched earlier this year at the Sea Otter Classic with Mavic, which launched its new C29ssmax tubeless wheel.

Engineers from Hutchinson and Mavic were still putting the tire/rim combination through the rigorous testing required of all products seeking Universal Standard for tubeless designation.

Last month, with the official stamp of approval from the UST testing lab, Hutchinson began manufacturing the first ever UST 29er Tubeless Ready mountain bike tires.

These official UST tires are all manufactured as Tubeless Ready so using latex is a must. Hutchinson recommends its Fast'Air latex aerosol to properly install these superlight UST tires.

The Python 29er has proven to be a favorite among the "big wheel" crowd. For those who value a large volume tire that rolls fast, offers excellent all-around traction and can be set up as tubeless without the worry of blowing a bead or burping air mid ride, the Python 29er is destined to become the tire of choice. Weighing in at a competitive 645 grams, the tire is offered with a supple 127 tpi casing and measures at a true 2.1-inch width.

The tires featuring the UST stamp should be available to the public through bicycle dealers in January.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Hutchinson Gets UST Stamp of Approval

TRENTON, NJ (BRAIN)—Hutchinson Tires is the first bicycle tire manufacturer to produce a 29-inch MTB tire with the
official UST stamp of approval.

Hutchinson Tires has been at the forefront of tubeless tire development throughout its long history. Pioneering the development and introduction of tubeless mountain bike tires in the late 90's, Hutchinson worked closely with Mavic to create an international tubeless standard which was coined UST.

More recently, Hutchinson became the first and, to date, only manufacturer of production Tubeless Road tires which were developed in close partnership with Shimano.

With the popularity of 29-inch mountain bikes skyrocketing over the last year, Hutchinson recently released its industry standard, high volume, small tread block Python tire in a 29-inch size. The tire was launched earlier this year at the Sea Otter Classic with Mavic, which launched its new C29ssmax tubeless wheel.

Engineers from Hutchinson and Mavic were still putting the tire/rim combination through the rigorous testing required of all products seeking Universal Standard for tubeless designation.

Last month, with the official stamp of approval from the UST testing lab, Hutchinson began manufacturing the first ever UST 29er Tubeless Ready mountain bike tires.

These official UST tires are all manufactured as Tubeless Ready so using latex is a must. Hutchinson recommends its Fast'Air latex aerosol to properly install these superlight UST tires.

The Python 29er has proven to be a favorite among the "big wheel" crowd. For those who value a large volume tire that rolls fast, offers excellent all-around traction and can be set up as tubeless without the worry of blowing a bead or burping air mid ride, the Python 29er is destined to become the tire of choice. Weighing in at a competitive 645 grams, the tire is offered with a supple 127 tpi casing and measures at a true 2.1-inch width.

The tires featuring the UST stamp should be available to the public through bicycle dealers in January.

j,

What do they mean by 'using latex is a must' ? Stan's goop?

jdog

Shop Keep
Tubeless ready has a UST bead but they will not be air tight without the use if a liquid sealant.

Hutchinson makes their own and if you use Stan;t is voids the warranty.. And usually ruins the tire casing.

J-

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used soapy water to put on the Pythons with no issue. Does that qualify as "liquid sealant"?

BiknBen

I would really like someone to sell me on UST. I've been running tubes forever and simply do not see a need to change.

UST Pros:
-No tube
-lighter overall weight (maybe)
-Lower air pressure

UST Cons:
-Requires a sealant
-Gotta carry a tube just in case
-Difficulty in mounting the tire and setting the bead
-Requires specific rims and tires.
-Higher price

IMO, if I am required to carry a tube, pump, and tire lever anyway....What is the rave about? I haven't gotten a fl@t on my Mary yet and my air pressure is in the low 20's. I want a "flatless" system. UST is the same just different.

Last edited:

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
+1

I think I have 2-4 flats per year...and I ride almost every weekend throughout the year.

I like my tires with a lot of pressure anyway and I am comfortable riding them like that.

And I am not a serious racer looking to lose some grams here and there so I guess it doesn't matter that my wheels are "heavy"

BadLine

I would really like someone to sell me on UST. I've been running tubes forever and simply do not see a need to change.

UST Pros:
-No tube
-Lower air pressure

UST Cons:
-Requires a sealant
-Higher price

IMO, if I am required to carry a tube, pump, and tire lever anyway....What is the rave about? I haven't gotten a fl@t on my Mary yet and my air pressure in in the low 20's. I want a "flatless" system. UST is the same just different.

It does't sound like you need them. I swiched over because I love to ride low air pressure and I was constantly getting flats. I could not make it through a race without at least one.
However, my new set up works great..no flats, low rotational weight. Shaved close to 2 lbs. of rotational weight. Thats noticable. Best investment I ever made in a bike.
But it doesn't sound like you are having any problems with your set up.

Maurice

UST Pros:
-No tube
-Lower air pressure

UST Cons:
-Requires a sealant
-Higher price

IMO, if I am required to carry a tube, pump, and tire lever anyway....What is the rave about? I haven't gotten a fl@t on my Mary yet and my air pressure in in the low 20's. I want a "flatless" system. UST is the same just different.

Ben, if it works for you no need to change, especially if you're able to use those low pressures. However the ride characteristics are different with a true UST tire due to the different wall thickness. YMMV.

For me it's a no-brainer, as I even manage to pinch-flat UST tires. Tubed tires: forget it, I've run out of tubes _and_ patches on one ride, once... Boy was I pissed.

Also it's not quite true that tubeless tires are harder to mount. The first time they may be a bit tight but I've never needed any tire lever. I have swapped more tires than I'd like to, and not having to stuff the tube inside the tire makes it somewhat easier for me. I can swap a UST tire and air it up in under a minute with a floor pump.

I only use the goop when needed, usually when the tire is already close to the trash can. Most times when I flat a UST tire no amount of goop is going to help.

The price bites, but usually a UST tire lasts a bit longer. Also, at $5 a pop for a tube it gets expensive, eventually. I have tubes with countless patches on them, it's not even funny... Each and every one with its share of creative side-of-the-trail cursing while I could have been riding...

Cheers,

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My thoughts:

I don't think it's lower overall weight, unless you use Stan's on non-UST tires/rims which I don't do, nor do I see myself doing.

I didn't use a sealant.

The tube is like a chain tool. You don't *need* it but it's not a terrible thing to have JIC.

I mounted both tires in 15 minutes, maybe 10. For all the discussion on this topic I was expecting it to take an hour. It was easier than using tubes for the reason there was no chance I pinched the tube between the tire & rim.

If you're running w/o problem in the low 20s and tubes, there's no argument for you to go UST. I've gone from 40 PSI to 30 and slightly below and it's a better ride - it's faster, better in cornering and traction in general, and a bit softer which is nice.

For me, I had maybe 10 flats this year before UST, 3 in one race out in PA which ultimately knocked me out of the race.

BTW, you have surely angered the PFGs (Pinch Flat Gods) with your post and you can expect to reap the "rewards" on your next ride.

BiknBen

BTW, you have surely angered the PFGs (Pinch Flat Gods) with your post and you can expect to reap the "rewards" on your next ride.

Notice I wrote "fl@t". I am fearful of messing with the Gods. I don't mention the F word. Fl@t is okay though. The Gods are stupid. :p

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i haven't used tubeless, but will likely be trying it this winter. a few points my research would add to your pro/con list, ben, would be:

UST Pros:
-No tube
-Lower air pressure
-apparently better traction
-some claim less rolling resistance

UST Cons:
-Requires a sealant
-Gotta carry a tube just in case*don't you have to do that anyway?
-Higher price

Maurice

How do you pinch flat a UST tire? By burping it or unseating the bead? Or do you actually snake bite the tire sidewall?

Same as with a regular tire. I wouldn't call burping a tire having a flat, you can't exactly patch that ;)

The only time a tire burped on me was when I had Michelins, a few years ago. A bad set of tires that I relegated to commuting duties: one of them is the only off-road tire I have ever managed to puncture while riding on the road, the other developed a bulge on the side wall while the tread was still mostly intact. Pigs will fly the next time I use a Michelin.

D

DANSPANK

It only took me about 10 minutes to install both Maxxiss Ignitors on UST Mavics - and I'm a complete novice. I used a floor pump, pumped up to 60psi then bounced the tyre a little, then let the tyre pressure down. I run at about 25ish lbs and have had no problems since.

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I cannot wait for Kenda to do the 29er Nevegals in a UST. I am running the Kings on a new C Max 29er wheels set. These things are screaming for UST tyres.

jdog

Shop Keep
I cannot wait for Kenda to do the 29er Nevegals in a UST. I am running the Kings on a new C Max 29er wheels set. These things are screaming for UST tyres.

You should try the Pythons. They look like they would have no traction but they work well.

j

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
You should try the Pythons. They look like they would have no traction but they work well.

j

I have riden the Pythons in the past. They were great for smooth, dry trails. Super fast. I do however find the Nevegals do much better on technical stuff by holding their lines. The Pythons got away from me every once in a while. Probably the rider and not the tire so much. If there are no other options by late spring I think I may do the Hutchinsons.

jdog

Shop Keep
There is a new Hutchinson 29er UST tire that will be called the TORO. It should be out in the spring.

J_

Top Bottom