29er tires

anrothar

entirely thrilled
any thoughts on the mythos xc?

don't think i would mind the weight/rolling resistance of the rampage or nevegal for general trail riding. the new michelin, although super narrow, looks like it should be a good all-around race tire.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
any thoughts on the mythos xc?

don't think i would mind the weight/rolling resistance of the rampage or nevegal for general trail riding. the new michelin, although super narrow, looks like it should be a good all-around race tire.

I didn't dig this as a 26" but 29" seems to give just a bit more footprint and added grip.

I just got some Michelin AT 29ers SO that will be my next test tire.

Guitar Ted loves em.

I hear that this 29" thing is catching on??

j

bruce.b

Dickwad
WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 29er tires

I've had Weirwolf 2.55 LT tires front and rear on my Curtlo 29er singlespeed for several months. They are great all around tires. I'm 6 feet tall and 142 pounds, ride light and never break stuff. I'm pretty much a pure XC rider and have been riding mountain bikes in north Jersey since 1983. I run these tires at 20 psi in back and 18 psi up front, sometimes just a bit higher. At these pressures these tires are amazingly comfortable and hook up great. They are almost a semi slick, roll very fast and are pretty light for a high volume tire. If the course was at all technical I'd race these tires. They shed mud great. For me, these tires are pretty much perfect, but that doesn't mean a whole lot for anyone else.

They are nothing like Exiwolfs. They are much more comfortable (lighter tire construction, more flexible?) than Exi's, roll a lot faster and corner better. Oh yeah, more air volume and are lighter.

I think rider weight, pressures used, riding style, etc. are vital considerations when talking about tires.

bruce boysen

anrothar

entirely thrilled
thanks bruce. i had the weirwolfes on my 26 and really liked em in everything but mud. they're a great tire. as for my considerations:

6'4", 190-200lbs, racery, bordering on 'all-mountain', but on a rigid ss. i rarely if ever break stuff, but that might have something to do with me using beefier components than i probably need.

with the exi's if i want to go fast around a turn, i have to find a rut or a berm to ride, or i'll most likely drift. if the trail is wide enough, i don't mind the drift, but i would imagine it would be faster to have tires that actually hook up in the turns.

jdog

Shop Keep
Today I rode at Hartshore with the Rampage on the Front and the Ignitor on the back.

This might be the best combo I have tried yet.

The rampage is noticeably slower yet way more grippy in the turns as well as softer over the big bumps.

I was having a good day in general but I was very happy with this combo. I sort of doubt that I will be on the Michelins for a bit..

j

anrothar

entirely thrilled
just tooling around on really local trails and the backyard, i'm already excited about how the ignitors hook up compared to the exiwolfes. the difference in volume seems negligable compared to the increase in traction. i've yet to really test them though.

walter

Fourth Party
and the rain wants to join in :( :(

do you know how bad it sucks to be sitting here with a brand new bike, just watching this crappy weather.

I think I will take the mavic wheelset, the pythons, and the minute 29 fork, put that on my wish list.

jdog

Shop Keep
Just a bit more than sitting here in the rain with my used bike..

j

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i know its a sacriledge for me, but the past few days i've been getting woozy at the thought of a super light, stiff, fast 19lb racey 29er ss..... that's almost ten lbs lighter than my current setup and is entirely possible. :drooling:

ArmyOfNone

i know its a sacriledge for me, but the past few days i've been getting woozy at the thought of a super light, stiff, fast 19lb racey 29er ss..... that's almost ten lbs lighter than my current setup and is entirely possible. :drooling:

next he will be looking for the rotor rings.

jdog

Shop Keep
Python 29ers!!!

Tonight I finally got my hands on a set of the soon to be released Hutchinson Python 29er tires.

I am going to test them out in the AM .

Btw I finally tried the WTB exowolf again on Sunday after riding the Rampage/Ignitor combo for months. I hated the WTB.

I rode Chris G's Python 26's the other day and I was impressed with how well they hooked up.

I have high hopes for thisnew 29er tire.

j

Top Bottom