29er Tires when the ground freezes...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Hey gang,

I was looking at my Conti Mtn Kings earlier today and it seems to me that these won't be very happy when the ground freezes/gets hard.

I'm thinking that pythons might be a better tire for frozen/hard ground.

What do y'all think?

Tim

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Curious why you think that.

IME - every tire rocks when the ground freezes. I had some IRC Mythos a few years back, which were possibly the worst tire ever made. In the winter they hooked up just dandy.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

IME - every tire rocks when the ground freezes. I had some IRC Mythos a few years back, which were possibly the worst tire ever made. In the winter they hooked up just dandy.

Wide space knobs; looks more like a mud tire. Plus, I've found that riding these on asphalt grinds 'em off at an alarming rate...'would assume that frozen ground would do the same. I could see frozen ground turning the Conti's into complete junk in a week or two of riding.

BiknBen

Me too. In Winter you can encounter a bunch of unique variables all in the first mile. Snow, Ice, hardpack, water, rocks. Good luck finding a tire that works.

I'd stay away from tires that don't shed mud well. Mud, snow, and ice may freeze to the tire and make riding difficult. Then again, if I'm riding in those conditions, I'm probably more concerned with staying warm and upright. The tire choice would be low on my priority list.

The Kalmyk

I just put em up front but would not put them in the back...Simply for the wear issue...Up front I run higher pressure and depend on my shock and the soft compound of the tire to keep me railing around corners...IME higher thread tire will wear quicker and the side walls are thinner...Mountain Kings fall in this category..Rewind back to our 26 inch days and take a look at the Panaracer XC Fires...Two versions here, one being made in Japan (127tpi) and the other being made in Tawain(60tpi)...Obvious difference between the two in that the higher thread tacks better but wears quicker and has thinner side walls..This summer I had a Racing Ralph(210tpi) on the front and the same thing soft and supple patch surface but super thin side walls...Maybe run the MK'S up front and a Hutchinson in the rear:hmmm:

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I just put em up front but would not put them in the back...Simply for the wear issue...Up front I run higher pressure and depend on my shock and the soft compound of the tire to keep me railing around corners...IME higher thread tire will wear quicker and the side walls are thinner...Mountain Kings fall in this category..Rewind back to our 26 inch days and take a look at the Panaracer XC Fires...Two versions here, one being made in Japan (127tpi) and the other being made in Tawain(60tpi)...Obvious difference between the two in that the higher thread tacks better but wears quicker and has thinner side walls..This summer I had a Racing Ralph(210tpi) on the front and the same thing some soft and supple patch surface but super thin side walls...Maybe run the MK'S up front and a Hutchinson in the rear:hmmm:

The xc fire pros were great last year, for the most part, on the Spot. Panaracer doesn't make one in a 29...is there something similar in 29 land?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
The Bonty ACX or whatever is stock on all the Fishers is the best for snow/frozen

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm going start out with the maxxis ignitors this year and see what happens. if they don't work out i'll go to the panaracer rampages. they did me well last year. if they don't work i may actually try the hutchinsons i have sitting in my garage. that's a HUGE maybe on those.

Chris9er

I am currently running Ignitors, but have run Nevegals in the winter and they worked great in a variety of conditions.

They are not as fast as some tires, but you can count on them to hold well in poor conditions.

Top Bottom