29er Race Bike

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
The Fishers will both come with Bontrager wheelsets, the Superfly having the better of the two. Bontrager is the house brand on Fisher bikes, wheels, cranks, stem, bars, seat and seatpost.

Air9 is Niners geared specific scandium hardtail, while the Jet9 is the short travel FS bike from them. Jeff, the EMD is the aluminum one, as per Niners site.

Paragon comes with Rhythm Comp wheels. Its Bontragers wider profile 29 rim. Its a little heavier, but definitely stronger. Also works well with bigger tires. Bontrager uses formula hubs on this bike.
Superfly comes with RaceXlite wheels. Definitely an xc race wheelset. Essentially it uses the DT 240 hubs with the hubshell built to bontragers specs. If the superfly is in your budget (3000) its definitely a sweet rig. Juicy Ultimate brakes work awesome and are light. Fork is a step up from the paragon (f80 rlc) which gives you a bit more fine tuning. Has carbon cranks too. Don't forget... lifetime warranty.
Niners are awesome too. Unfortunately it would cost a bit more for a similar buildup. If it were me, and I had a ridiculous bonus, I'd probably lean either to pimping out a paragon or building up a niner. I ride hard and crash hard, and that's the only reason I would not consider superfly as a personal bike. Its also cuz like most of us, I can only afford to have one bike.

Do you really think you'll race faster on a 29er? I mean bigger wheels are great for trail riding, but for racing?

I agree if your saying you'll probably end up going slower depending on what kind of riding. Big roots and rocks i can understand 29er but a 26 is much faster going up hill and going downhill i have road with a 29er before and were both the same pretty much. I 29er is more heavier i believe.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Norm, Didn't you just post last week you didn't like the HT @ LM? That's just roots not rocks. I know everyone says the 29 inch wheels adds 10 inches of travel but it's still a HT. Go for the Jet Niner or a RacerX 29er. I think in the long run you'll be happier & you're not getting any younger.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
I agree if your saying you'll probably end up going slower depending on what kind of riding. Big roots and rocks i can understand 29er but a 26 is much faster going up hill and going downhill i have road with a 29er before and were both the same pretty much. I 29er is more heavier i believe.

there was some big study a few years ago that proved 29ers to be consistantly faster uphill. they are definitely faster downhill(xc), they roll over the bumps and maintain momentum better. the more people have been racing 29ers, the more people have been winning on them. maybe they would have won anyway, maybe not. if smaller wheels are faster for racing on smooth courses, why don't pro road racers use 650 wheels instead of 700? they're lighter.

BiknBen

Your next race bike will be at Allaire tomorrow. :getsome:

My theory on race bikes is simple. Dump everything that is not required. Make the bike light and fast. The 29er wheels add weight. If you want cushy suspension...stay with 26".

Yeah...I know...I'll be racing on a 29er. I was already on a 29er and just swapped stuff. My bonus was not as big as yours. IMO, the big wheels do offset the need for suspension a little. That allowed me to go rigid and keep the weight down.

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

Hooray for hypotheical bonuses! I say niner...I have heard nothing but good things and its nice to build up your rig to your specs

Shaggz

A strong 7
Norm, Didn't you just post last week you didn't like the HT @ LM? That's just roots not rocks. I know everyone says the 29 inch wheels adds 10 inches of travel but it's still a HT. Go for the Jet Niner or a RacerX 29er. I think in the long run you'll be happier & you're not getting any younger.
get with the program kirt, that was a 26 inch HT :D. everything is better on a 29 :D :rolleyes:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
More good stuff, but let me reply to these 2 while I have a minute.

Do you really think you'll race faster on a 29er? I mean bigger wheels are great for trail riding, but for racing?

I do think I will race faster on a 29er but the bulk of that answer is really a reply to Kirt's post, which I'll get to later when I have more time. As for going slower uphill, my FS race bike is currently 31+ pounds. I think Ben's new Niner was 21? Jim's Superfly was 24. I'm talking a race bike, not a bike to handle everything. So I'll be in a different league with this bike, the climbing will almost certainly be better since the bike will be lighter overall.

ArmyOfNone

+1 for Niner

I think you will also go faster bc on the top tube your bike will be screaming "PEDAL DAMNIT!"

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Good post Kirt. First, I talked to ChrisG after the LM ride last week, and he said that when he went from FS to FR, he felt the same way I did, more or less. He thinks there's going to be an adjustment period and I'm inclined to agree. Second, the day before I tried my hardest to keep up with 2 experts and a semi-pro at Allaire for 2+ hours. So I was somewhat tired to begin with. Third, non-UST tires meant I had 40 PSI in the rear tire. Fourth, the saddle I have on that bike is a really hard saddle. Considering I was tired I was in it more than I'd normally like. Fifth, aluminum seat post. Sixth, aluminum bars.

Now I also plan to use this as a race bike, not a do-everything bike. And the races I'm doing are the H2H races which aren't especially technical, as in Allamuchy technical. For the most part the FS is overkill for these race loops. If the 50k comes back, maybe I break out the FS and haul that around. But for the races I'm doing, I think the HT is the best bike for that. And the 29" wheel gives just a little bit more cushion to take the edge off.

Add it all up and I think that's the best direction for a race bike, for me, for right now. And I am getting younger. I'm 32 this week!

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Norm, after reading the above, it seems like you really have your head on straight and are heading in the right direction. I'll second the tired issue.If you aren't peppy and able to "ride" a hardtail it will ride you. The greatest bonus is that 1 month after your 29 purchase you'll realize it's all you need.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
2nd for Allaire tomorrow...You can ride each of the bikes that have been discussed in this thread...I put my vote obviously on the Fisher side...Even though there has been a slight change of plans from the Superfly :((details to be discussed in the lot)...Introducing, the "Para-Fly"...

l_3ffdb0b2583b33bc82b674e45b642594.jpg

-Jim.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Damn damn damn, would love to be able to make it to Allaire tomorrow...

Top Bottom