29er questions

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
They both look pretty cool but I'd go with the Niner, they know how to make 29ers, it's what they do, son.

-Jim.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Is anyone selling 29" UST wheels or will I have to use notubes.

Mavic Cr29ossMax are UST and there might be other UST rims, but it's the finding of a 29" UST tire that's difficult.
As far as I know Hutch Pythons are the only ones.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out what 29er to get. These are the two that I keep coming back to:

http://www.ninerbikes.com/emd9.html

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/d660.html

Is anyone selling 29" UST wheels or will I have to use notubes.

wha...huh...who...

don't we know you from somewhere...and didn't you just buy a new ride? damn jay, you have a VERY understanding new wife! :D

if i'm spending your money i'd go with the niner. if i'm spending my money, i'd go with the niner...but the SIR since you can run it geared or SS. but hey, that's just me.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mavic Cr29ossMax are UST and there might be other UST rims, but it's the finding of a 29" UST tire that's difficult.
As far as I know Hutch Pythons are the only ones.

cr29ossmaxes are great wheels. norm runs 'em as well as a slew of other folks. as for the hutch pythons...unless you're racing don't bother with them.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Many of us are using Stan's rims successfully for tubeless setups, with Hutchinsons as well as non-tubeless ready tires. Geax is doing some solid 29er tires that are tubeless ready.

Niner has their act together, for sure. I don't think you can go wrong with their stuff.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
wha...huh...who...

don't we know you from somewhere...and didn't you just buy a new ride? damn jay, you have a VERY understanding new wife! :D

if i'm spending your money i'd go with the niner. if i'm spending my money, i'd go with the niner...but the SIR since you can run it geared or SS. but hey, that's just me.

Well I'm looking to sell the epic to fund this. If I came home with a new bike, she'd kick me out of the house. Then again she'd probably buy it herself if she thought it would get me out riding more.

I've been looking at the crossmaxes as well but wasn't sure about the tire selection.

Last edited:

C.Puncher

Crossmax

Well I'm looking to sell the epic to fund this. If I came home with a new bike, she's kick me out of the house. Then again she'd probably buy it herself if she thought it would get me out riding more.

I've been looking at the crossmaxes as well but wasn't sure about the tire selection.

I run a Crossmax rear wheel on my F29, with Maxxis Ignitor, using a tube.
I love it, and would have it on the front, if Crossmax did a Lefty wheel.

I'm a large rider, and heavy on the rear wheel. It's sturdy and stays true.

I do love the Pythons for fast hardpack riding......had em on my 26" FS.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

The crossmaxes are pretty stiff. The ride is a little on the rough side for me w/the steel SIR9; I probably couldn't live with 'em on the aluminum EMD. But then again, I'm old and decrepit.

You can run tubes, of course, on the C29SSMax's. There are also a few tubeless ready tires out there. Or, you can take a shot at running a non-tubeless ready or non-ust tire tubeless like I did.

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7875

BiknBen

It's not all roses and flower gardens with the CrossMax 29rs. I managed to bend a spoke one day at Allaire (i didn't notice when). JDog can't get it true and two spoke are just jingling cause they are so loose. I likely have to replace the rim and a few spokes.

In general, the CMax wheels are bombproof. I just happened to hit a bigger bomb. :rolleyes: They are stiffer and just as durable as other wheels but, as with any wheel, not totally indestructible.

sj_john

Just got them

I just put a set of Cmax's on my 29er FSR.
I am running the Armadillo 2Bliss Captains on them.
Only had them out for 1 night ride before ice took over the local trails.
Felt pretty good, I have been running the 26 version with 2Bliss Roll X's for 3 years without any problems.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for all the feedback. Now, who wants to buy an epic? ;)

6thElement

For anyone running the Mavic C29's did you happen to weigh them? Mavic quotes 1750g, but I've heard that's very optimistic.

Ian F

I watched the roscoe video last night. Mr. Fisher seems like a interesting individual :rofl: he had me captivated.

While I've never owned a Fisher bike, I will admit Gary is always looking to try new ideas... I have a magazine that covered the 2001 interbike show and there are little blurbs about Fisher and Willet (I think...) 29" wheeled bikes.

I'm looking at a 29er as well and think I've decided on the Niner Jet 9. Now I just have to save up the money for it...

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
For anyone running the Mavic C29's did you happen to weigh them? Mavic quotes 1750g, but I've heard that's very optimistic.

I'm also running Mavic SLRs on my 26"er and they're not THAT much heavier...never put 'em on a scale though...

What do you have on that Sultan?

VanDbtRiver

I think you have narrowed it down pretty well. As far as wheelsets go, I have been super happy with my stans arch rims. I have been successful with a number of different tires run tubeless, inc. ignitors, crossmarks, and wtb prowlers (courtesy of Spence). I dont know if a ust tire needs the sealent or not, but I would put it in anyway because the stuff just plugs up every little puncture.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Want to be differnt? Check this out http://www.misfitpsycles.com/

And this http://twentynineinches.com/2009/02/04/misfit-psycles-frame-and-fork-build-complete/

I got one and couldn't be happier :)

missfit008.jpg

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
jason-
forgot this: john up at CW built my mavics and they've needed nary a spoke twist. they're 719s w/ DT spokes on hope pro 2 hubs. very sturdy and light. not sure how they measure up weight wise to the cr29ssmax though. just something to think about.

Top Bottom