29er Question

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Is there a true 29in. UST approved tire out there? :confused:

Not just something that can be run tubeless with Stan's...

If so, can anyone suggest some rubber that would hook up well on RW, Waway, Blue-type rockage.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
No, read the writing on the wall, go back to 26ers and have all the tubeless tire options you desire.:D

OK, back to your regularly scheduled advice.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No, read the writing on the wall, go back to 26ers and have all the tubeless tire options you desire.:D

OK, back to your regularly scheduled advice.

hey, look, you almost added something useful! :D

there aren't many and my research tells me that it's due mainly to the amount of rubber needed to produce such a tire makes said tires weight prohibitive.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I believe I was told there will soon be no true UST tires soon enough, 26 or 29. Just tubeless ready.

I would bust stb as well but Walter is more of a "buy 29er SS" guy so it's hard to fault him.

D

DANSPANK

I used the hutchinson puthons but I didn't think that they gripped particularly well in the rocky stuff in North NJ. I'm currently running tubeless Maxxis Ignitors but I needed the Stan's rim strips and fluid to get them to seat and seal so I doubt there's a weight advantage. I'm using it for the pucture resistance, and I like the traction that the ignitors offer.

ArmyOfNone

I have run Maxxis Ardent, Ignitor and Crossmark on my stans rims. All are not tubeless. I also have run the Pythons which are a bit thin in the sidewall area. I had no problems with them, but I know others who have.

What wheels are you running?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Nothing yet.

Prbably Mavic Cross29Max rims. Recommend something lighter? Cheaper?

1745g for a 29er wheel set is pretty dang light already, isn't it?

Competitive cyclist has a nice writeup on 'em...

Cheaper would be better...though too late for me...I ordered mine today from jdog.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
I believe I was told there will soon be no true UST tires soon enough, 26 or 29. Just tubeless ready.

I would bust stb as well but Walter is more of a "buy 29er SS" guy so it's hard to fault him.

Kenda will keep making UST tires. They will not go tubeless ready. Another reason to ride 26" wheels.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
norm's running the crossmax 29er rims w/ hutchinsons. if you do a search, there are pics of his lustful bike somewhere on here.

BiknBen

Kenda will keep making UST tires. They will not go tubeless ready. Another reason to ride 26" wheels.

Kenda is stuck in the stone age. They had five 29er tires for sale at the KENDA Bikefest a few weeks ago. That's not five models. That's five tires total and I was at their tent early.

It also said, "not to be used with any sealant" on all the tires I looked at. That pretty much squashed any chance of me trying the 29r SmallBlok 8 tires.

I did buy a couple to 24" tires for my daughter's bike at $2 a piece. :rofl:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You know it's a shame because I love the Small Block 8s. Raced with them a few times last year and love them.

I think Kenda will eventually go to the dark side and require sealant for their tires as well. I say this because from a profit aspect, this is a no brainer. Require $20 of sealant with every new tire purchase? Brilliant!

Norm, what are you running on those wheels?

Jake is right, the Crossmax 29er wheel with Hutchinson Pythons. The bike is aimed as a race bike but we did Ringwood this past weekend and I can say that not once did it cross my mind that these tires weren't doing the job in any of the rock sections. They've burped a few pounds or pressure during one race but other than that they've been going solid for 3 months or so now.

ArmyOfNone

im not sure if anything will happen with the tires if you use sealant. Jim has run them with no issues. I have seen them on a few bikes at some races. Ill give them a shot soon enough. I just think that they dont want to hear if if you hurt yourself bc you ran them tubeless. It voids the warranty i think.

J-Dro

I witnessed my friends brandy new Kenda Nevegal UST "melt" because Stan's was used inside. Some patches of the sidewall sort of disintegrated. It doesn't happen on all Kenda's but it does happen on some.

Top Bottom