29er Question

It also said, "not to be used with any sealant" on all the tires I looked at. That pretty much squashed any chance of me trying the 29r SmallBlok 8 tires.

That is just for warranty purposes. When I was talking to Kenda Bob (I forgot the guys name) at the Kenda trailer at Windham, I mentioned running stans in the UST tire and he was all for it. I use stans in smallblock 8s that I have and it helped seal up the slow leak the tires used to have.

I think Kenda will eventually go to the dark side and require sealant for their tires as well. I say this because from a profit aspect, this is a no brainer. Require $20 of sealant with every new tire purchase? Brilliant!

Kenda Bob(I forgot the guys name) mentioned that they will always make the full blown UST tire. He brought up the point that JHK did not make the olympic team due to flat tires. They are on the train of thought that a more durable and possibly heavier tire is better than a fly weight tire that has more of a chance to fail. I totally agree with that train of thought. I would rather be slower and finish than go like a rocket and DNF because of a flat.

Last edited:
That is just for warranty purposes.

Whatever the purpose...It's a pretty strong statement. That tells me that the tire casing is thinner than those of a UST or Tubeless Ready tire and intended to be used with a tube.

I'll be happy to let someone else experiment before I plop down any cash for their tires.

I am currently running standard (ie tubed) Kenda Nevegal and Kenda Kinetic with a Stans Kit and Stans goo without problems. The difference in casing between mine and a UST tire I do not know, but I can't see why the Stans goo would react differently with the UST sidewall rubber than the regular sidewall rubber. I would also expect that if anything, the UST tire would have a thicker sidewall with less "microleaks", resulting in less of the goo permeating all the way through the tire.

$0.02 - running tubeless with 29" tires is less important than with 26". You can run sub-30psi with tubes on 29" and for the most part, still avoid pinching due to the larger footprint.

$0.02 - running tubeless with 29" tires is less important than with 26". You can run sub-30psi with tubes on 29" and for the most part, still avoid pinching due to the larger footprint.

Eeeek! Sub 30 psi w/tubes??? Thats pretty scary. But I guess it depends on where you are riding. None the less it is nice not to have to worry about flats while running a lower air pressure.

Eeeek! Sub 30 psi w/tubes??? Thats pretty scary. But I guess it depends on where you are riding. None the less it is nice not to have to worry about flats while running a lower air pressure.

Yeah, this has always been a major attraction to 29" hoops for me. No more Stan's sprayed all over the garage. :)

There's also the racer vs. non-racer question. If you race, you *know* you're going to blast into rocks at speed and not exactly hit them all as you like. Eventually it's going to get you. If you don't race, it's less of a concern. But even then if you like to go down fast it can and will get you eventually.

I'll probably go back to tubes with the 29er SS just because I have 2 tires that I won't have to pay for.

As long as you guys are talking 29er's and tubes.
I'm about to buy a Hi Fi Deluxe and I'm wondering about the pro's and cons of running the tubeless tires.

I'm new to this whole thing, maybe by next year I'll stop saying that, but it's sort of trial by error for us when riding. Yesterday at Mahlon my buddies chain snapped.
It took us about 30 minutes to figure out that we needed to remove a few links , because were the break happened the link was to bent to wanna seat back in when we tried to set the pin.

My point being, we have yet to have to change a flat.

Do you guys carry an extra chain with ya ?
Is there a better tool we should have that would have made things easier ?

Should I opt for tubeless and if I do , what do I need to carry with me in case of a flat ?

please educate me .

thanks as usual for the help.

I would say to always carry a tube, even if you're tubeless. If you rip your tyre then you use a tube plus something over the rip (gu wrapper/dollar etc) to get you out of the woods.

That aside one of your buddies may have forgotten to bring one, or punctured before on the ride. And what if you meet a damsel in distress? Carry spares.

I carry a powerlink in case my chain breaks. They're only a few dollars so no big outlay. And a good multitool will have a half-descent chain tool on it to conduct a minor repair.

As long as you guys are talking 29er's and tubes.
I'm about to buy a Hi Fi Deluxe and I'm wondering about the pro's and cons of running the tubeless tires.

I'm new to this whole thing, maybe by next year I'll stop saying that, but it's sort of trial by error for us when riding. Yesterday at Mahlon my buddies chain snapped.
It took us about 30 minutes to figure out that we needed to remove a few links , because were the break happened the link was to bent to wanna seat back in when we tried to set the pin.

My point being, we have yet to have to change a flat.

Do you guys carry an extra chain with ya ?
Is there a better tool we should have that would have made things easier ?

Should I opt for tubeless and if I do , what do I need to carry with me in case of a flat ?

please educate me .

thanks as usual for the help.

Heh, heh, yeah MD loves to eat chains.

I don't carry an extra chain. 'Just a small chain break tool and a couple of SRAM power links. Remove the borked link(s), slap the power link in, and away ya' go. Note that power links don't fit all non-SRAM chains.

I ran tubeless on the Turner and carried a tube. I figured that'd be the most expedient and reliable repair; take the tire off, remove the valve stem, and stick the tube in. They make tubeless repair kits, etc...but a tube seemed easier and I had a couple laying around.

Pro of tubeless tire are you can run a lower tire pressure with less chance of a pinch flat.

Con is they're more expensive, have fewer tire options, and relative to tubes, mounting/dismounting tires is a PITA...and a little messy if you use sealant.

Though, the Mavic 819/Panaracer XC Fire Pro UST combo I had on the Turner was bullet proof...'had zero issues. Then again, I've had no problems running the tubed Conti Mountain Kings on my 29er either so far.

You can find extensive tube v tubeless arguments up on MTBR.

Thanks Ben, sometimes it's just easier to ask.

thanks for the links.

Yes, but you don't ask for chain advice in a thread about 29er tires. You will get a much better response by starting a new thread. It also keeps this thread on topic.

Ben has spent a lot of time on roadbikereview.com. He's being very gentle in his reply :)

Yes, but you don't ask for chain advice in a thread about 29er tires. You will get a much better response by starting a new thread. It also keeps this thread on topic.

looks like Ben is well on his way to being a moderator.

So...in summary

right now, for whatever reason, the only 29er tire "tubeless ready" is the Hutch Pythons? :hmmm:
(and maybe some yet un-named Bontragers)

Back
Top Bottom