29er - Niner MCR/SIR vs Salsa Dos Niner?

Anyone seen a fair comparison of the Niner vs Dos Niner? I realize it's almost like comparing apples to oranges, but both do have a certain springiness, if not by different mechanisms... the Niner by virtue of its geometry and steel frame; the Dos Niner by the scandium/alum flexible chainstay and Relish shock.

Each one (alone) gets great reviews on MTBR... but haven't seen a head-to-head comparison. I'm looking to build up a nice (reasonably light) geared 29er for XC riding.

First, I am a fairly big boy, at 6'1" 225 lbs... and I have already ridden a 2006 Dos Niner (in Moab and Fruita), and really liked it, but it was my first time on a 29er, and I wasn't so used to the bike, so it didn't leave me quite with the impression that this was THE frame to get...maybe I need to give the (improved) '08 model a try.

I've been riding a Salsa Ala Carte (26er, which I absolutely LOVE, but it's really too small), and a fully rigid Karate Monkey 29er SS (which I also love)... so admittedly I have a slight bias towards steel hardtails. I'm not as big a fan of aluminum (and I've owned several). To me the Dos Niner appears to be first an aluminum frame, with a light mix of scandium thrown in for durability... whether that greatly changes the ride characteristics or not... I wasn't quite convinced with the one I rode... but maybe I need to give it another try.

I am a big fan of steel these days, and if Salsa made a 29er Ala Carte, I would look no further... (I've considered the El Mariachi, but I really don't want the EBB.) The Niner MCR (at least on paper) looks like it might be close to what I'm looking for.

Advice and impressions are much-appreciated. Thanks.

Peace,
MontclairBobbyB

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
The MCR has a great ride quality. Its also not a heavy frame like your karate monkey. I would go with MCR. I rode a rigid MCR in Vegas for quite a bit at Interbike and it was the most fun I had in a while. Of course, Vegas and Northern New Jersey have very different terrain, but nonetheless, a very forgiving ride.

Anyone seen a fair comparison of the Niner vs Dos Niner? I realize it's almost like comparing apples to oranges, but both do have a certain springiness, if not by different mechanisms... the Niner by virtue of its geometry and steel frame; the Dos Niner by the scandium/alum flexible chainstay and Relish shock.

Each one (alone) gets great reviews on MTBR... but haven't seen a head-to-head comparison. I'm looking to build up a nice (reasonably light) geared 29er for XC riding.

First, I am a fairly big boy, at 6'1" 225 lbs... and I have already ridden a 2006 Dos Niner (in Moab and Fruita), and really liked it, but it was my first time on a 29er, and I wasn't so used to the bike, so it didn't leave me quite with the impression that this was THE frame to get...maybe I need to give the (improved) '08 model a try.

I've been riding a Salsa Ala Carte (26er, which I absolutely LOVE, but it's really too small), and a fully rigid Karate Monkey 29er SS (which I also love)... so admittedly I have a slight bias towards steel hardtails. I'm not as big a fan of aluminum (and I've owned several). To me the Dos Niner appears to be first an aluminum frame, with a light mix of scandium thrown in for durability... whether that greatly changes the ride characteristics or not... I wasn't quite convinced with the one I rode... but maybe I need to give it another try.

I am a big fan of steel these days, and if Salsa made a 29er Ala Carte, I would look no further... (I've considered the El Mariachi, but I really don't want the EBB.) The Niner MCR (at least on paper) looks like it might be close to what I'm looking for.

Advice and impressions are much-appreciated. Thanks.

Peace,
MontclairBobbyB

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i ride the MCR. i'm digging it a lot. i posted a review up over on mtbr in the reviews section. i ride from allaire to the sourlands and i dig it. real nice ride.

Niner MCR

Thanks, I'm seriously leaning towards the MCR. I have a new Reba Race fork with the poploc, but I'm also considering getting the Niner rigid fork (especially if I get the Tang color) to swap out occasionally... I love the responsiveness you get with rigid... For places like Allaire, Hartshorne and Six Mile it's ideal. For Allamuchy, Ringwood and Blue Mountain I think I'd appreciate the Reba...

Clark, I'll have to look out for your red Niner... (I ride The Rock mostly, but live minutes from Sourland... it's a special place...)

Peace,
MBB

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
If you need one, we're a dealer up here in Northern Jersey, and JDog's got em too.

Top Bottom