29er Hoop Recommendations

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Hey gang,

In the not-so-distant future I'm planning on building up a SIR9. At first, I'm gonna' use the wheels off my Rig, but eventually I'd like to build a set of wheels around the Chris Kings I currently have on my 5-spot.

Sooooo, I'm looking for hoop recommendations. Mavic TN 719s? Velocity Blunts? DT swiss? etc., etc. etc.

Spoke recommendations are welcome too as there is certainly more to good wheel characteristics than hub and hoop.

I've had very good luck with the Mavic 819s on my 5-spot; they seem to be bullet proof...'should be as they're probably overkill for how I ride.

I'll take tubeless and tubed recommendations, though I'm leaning towards tubed just because of tire selection. UST is cool, and I like it, but my time riding the Rig has taught me it isn't a gotta' have for me. Plus, I'd forgot how bloody easy it is to change a tubed tire vs a thick walled, stiff beaded, UST.

Let's see...

I don't do drops. The only air I catch is flying off of rocks on descents...I doubt I've had a bike more than 10" off the ground in the last 15 years. And since protecting my bad back is a priority, it will stay that way.

I need rims that will take the abuse of NJ rock gardens with my 195-ish pound carcass on 'em.

I turn the wrenches on my bikes, except for wheels--so the less maintenance required for the wheels the better. Yes, I will have one of the better wheel builders (Halters or CW) build 'em up.

Light is really good, but not at the expense of low-maintenance and good durability.

'Need to be able to run 2.4" rubber on 'em.

I'd like a silver rim, but I can work with black too.

Hoop cost isn't a big deal. Already have the big cost of the wheelset covered with the hubs.

I want superior ride, durability, weight, and handling, of course. If I were to prioritize these four things, I think it'd be durability, handling, weight, and ride...in that order. Ride is very important to me, but between a big volume tire, compliance of the steel, 29", and the Reba on the front, I have that reasonably covered. And jdog tells me that carbon bars and seat post can help me out there too if needed.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

tim.stevens

One vote for TN719

Tim,

Jay built me a front wheel for my F29er with a Mavic TN719 and I absolutely love it. It is incredibly stiff and has stayed perfectly true after many rides at chimney rock. I go over 220lbs, so it must be a tough wheel.

The TN719 rim looks very similar to the crossmax29 rim except not tubeless.

Tim.

bozizle

Wtb

I am a very big fan of the WTB Speeddisc rims...not heavy, very durable, and can hold any 29er rubber you put on them. I have 3 sets currently and have not one bad thing to say from my experince and have a similar riding style to what you have posted above. 6' 8" and 215lbs.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
Fogger, maybe look into salsa's line of rims. Their silver is actually more of a polished and it is SHARP looking. I know they make a wider, less racy 29" rim that would probably work well with the 2.4's. With that said, I have no experience with salsa rims aside from picking them up and looking at them. They seem well made compared to some other higher end stuff I've seen.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I like the Bontrager Mustang Disc. It's a good weight at 465 grams and holds up very well, I run them in a 28 hole on my bike and have never had an issue with them. And for those who've ridden with me can tell you how sketchy I am:D

-Jim.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i think the rims that are supposed to be being built up for me over the last month have the mavic 719s.

that's all i have to say about that.

VanDbtRiver

i have delgado race rims and am learning of their limitations. As they fold and taco on me, I replace them with stans arch rims.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i'm with bozizle...

i have the WTB speeddiscs and have had no issues with them over the past year or so on my MCR.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Thanks for the input folks...

I think I'm leaning towards the Mavics, yet the Mustangs off the Rig (what I'm running now on the SIR9) seem to be working pretty well, and the speeddisk looks good too.

:hmmm:

Probably couldn't go wrong with any of them. I just need to pick one...I guess I'll go look at 'em all and pick the prettiest :rolleyes:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I think I'm leaning towards the Mavics, yet the Mustangs off the Rig (what I'm running now on the SIR9)

Do you need another set of wheels to put back on your Rig? Otherwise, you could just take the Bonty rims and lace them onto your Kings, all you'd have to do is buy spokes:hmmm:

-Jim.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Do you need another set of wheels to put back on your Rig? Otherwise, you could just take the Bonty rims and lace them onto your Kings, all you'd have to do is buy spokes:hmmm:

-Jim.

Wanna' keep 'em whole. At some point, I want to make the Rig whole again...and sell it to fund a new Reba for the SIR.

Top Bottom